Need help from people who speak German

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

here's a great video of Rick West in Venezuela searching for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Unfortunately it's in German, and I can't hear what Rick is saying behind the narrator's voice. What I'm interested in particular is whether Rick mentions where the spiders were found, something like a town's or area name. Can somebody help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I

Thanks

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys,

here's a great video of Rick West in Venezuela searching for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Unfortunately it's in German, and I can't hear what Rick is saying behind the narrator's voice. What I'm interested in particular is whether Rick mentions where the spiders were found, something like a town's or area name. Can somebody help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I

Thanks

They were in "Los medanos de Coro" In the Peninsula de Paraguana, Venezuela :).

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isnt it slightly irresponsible to just write this here?

Isnt it at least important to ask WHY 'TarantulaHomes' wants to know?

Oh course, you could try reading some literature, and its quite explicit about a collection locality by RCW in Bertani 2000., or look at the original locality by Strand 1907.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Come again? It's not his native tongue and he wanted to know the location.

Is there something wrong and more devious that your exposing that I (we) are missing?

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Maybe they just wanted to know the area to look up the climate for that locality.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Oh course, you could try reading some literature, and its quite explicit about a collection locality by RCW in Bertani 2000., or look at the original locality by Strand 1907.
Irresponsible? WHY the heck would you need to know WHY he asked what he asked?

Can a person ask something without giving the 3rd degree?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think he just means that there might be a concern that the OP would go and clean out the location. I think its unfounded, the video is out there for anyone to watch. Any responsibility, if there is any, would be on the people who put out the documentary, not someone here translating it

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think he just means that there might be a concern that the OP would go and clean out the location. I think its unfounded, the video is out there for anyone to watch. Any responsibility, if there is any, would be on the people who put out the documentary, not someone here translating it
But Jeff,I know what you mean but come on :) , if someone would want to go "clean" the location, they would have a thousand sources to go get the info from.

It was a simple question from Vitaliy which happens to have a personal bussines called TarantulaHomes,because he makes "homes" for Tarantulas. :)

That guy took it as if someone were asking him for money.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with you, it was unnecessary. I feel where he's coming from, wanting to be protective of wild populations. But I also think he was just being a little overly sensitive to the idea, thats all.

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
Hey mate!

Would you happen to have Embrik Strand's paper with original description? I've been searching for that document for quite a while to no avail. Bertani 2000 paper is also of great interest to me. I would appreciate if you could email it to tarantulahomes@gmail.com.

Thanks!

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was also guessing that 'tarantulahomes' wants to replicate the natural conditions, and if so that is something i wholeheartedly support.

But, indeed my concern is for protecting the wild populations. I hold my ground that think it IS best to first ask WHY someone wants to know something like this, to simply plan what type of answer to give. If the person wants to replicate the natural conditions, then surely its enough to just give a rough location for matching environmental conditions, or better still tell them just about the conditions. For this species i understand its difficult to not disclose the locality, as the habitat type is unusual and restricted to a small zone. But, I think here it would be especially valuable to point out that area is a national park, and is therefore protected land.

If the detailed location in the video or translation, then that is rather irresponsible there, although it would surprise me that RCW would have allowed that to go in. Im not sure Fran if you were repeating what was said in the video, or giving extra information.

Now guys, would you so easily tell me where to find Aphonopelma moorae, Brachypelma boehmei, Poecilotheria metallica, etc>? It is simply wrong to say there are thousands of sources to get such information from.., there are some original sources like description papers, then there is information from a few key people that spend their time and money to find these species again in the wild which you can read in traveloges, documentaries, etc, often done to help our understanding, like by RCW. Then there are local and international collectors who exploit wild populations for profit. Feel free to name another 1000 or so sources.

Tarantulahomes, i just sent you the Bertani 2000 paper. Its also free on the internet somewhere, but its easier to exchange the full pdf by email.

Regards
stuart

ps. thanks Zoltan :)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'm not sure Fran if you were repeating what was said in the video, or giving extra information.
Fran's German is better than mine. Rick's destination is only mentioned at the very beginning of the video, and I have trouble deciphering all of it, other than the word: Venezuela. The beginning of the sentence is partially chopped off. Elsewhere the narrator says that Rick will need to take a 6 hour drive to get from his current location (near the airport?) to the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens habitat.

The main point of the video is that Rick wanted to find out for himself that Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is, in fact, a terrestrial T since he was told be others that its actually an arboreal bush dweller. Rick's suspicions were confirmed when he found several of the Ts on the ground at night.

Tom

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont speak German very well, I have been there myself. Thats why I knew it :).

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not trying to stir up anything. But why would someone want to go exploit the wild populations of this species? We have plenty in the hobby.

It isnt like they are rare like say..P. metallica, M. robustum...ect.

I know where you are coming from and I respect that. I just dont foresee Someone in california flying to Venezuela to collect a few meager tarantulas.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
not trying to stir up anything. But why would someone want to go exploit the wild populations of this species? We have plenty in the hobby.
Well, why are hundreds of WC Grammostola rosea specimens sold every year around the world?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Because people dont like breeding them due to the lack of buyers and slow growth.. people tend to not buy G. rosea slings(aside from hobbyist) The G. rosea adults sell like wild fire in stores though. Petstores dont want to wait 10 years to sell a spider for 20 bucks, nor do breeders. instead they want the big ones now. they know people are like "aww cool big spider" they buy it and move on.

Even on AB people warn other about breeding G. rosea. With comments like "I wouldnt breed those as they are hard to sell" or make sure you know what your getting into.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in this case i think the same rules apply here as on the field trip forum:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=151683

Do not reveal specific locale information. This ensures the protection of the animal and it’s habitat from collection. If you wish to share locale information with specific individuals, please do so by utilizing the private message function rather than posting in a public thread.