Need help for an ID please !

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I bought a unindentified scorpion in a pet shop yesterday.

Can you help me to identify it ?

On others forums, some people suggested me: Opisthacanthus madagascarensis, O. asper, Iomachus politus, Heterometrus madraspatensis

It was eating when I took the picture so, we cannot see the chelicerae... If you want me to take other pictures, I will do!

I want to give the correct terrarium and substrate for my scorpion so I need an ID !

Thank you.

Here is the Beast!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would need a location and it's age, but it looks to be adult and if so, I think of Opisthacanthus, based on the position of the median eyes and the shape of the carapace, mainly. I am not gonna burn my fingers on the species......
Madagascar harbors several species of that genus.
Definetly not Heterometrus or Iomachus.

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
I don't know it's age or it's location... But I can tell you that it's about 1 1/8 inch long when the metasoma is curved.

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
It seems to be the same species, but what species is "Walberg" ?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know it's age or it's location... But I can tell you that it's about 1 1/8 inch long when the metasoma is curved.
What do you mean you don't know? The store/importer can't tell you from what country they came? They should know from where they import there animals. :confused: If you don't know the locality I can't get much further than ID on genuslevel.

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
What do you mean you don't know? The store/importer can't tell you from what country they came? They should know from where they import there animals. :confused: If you don't know the locality I can't get much further than ID on genuslevel.
The pet shop don't know where it exactly comes from. The importer didn't say it clearly, but I think it's from Tanzania or Madagascar.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pet shop don't know where it exactly comes from. The importer didn't say it clearly, but I think it's from Tanzania or Madagascar.
And then you asked the shop to call the importer? I think it wasTanzania or Madagascar is like saying I think it was left or right. Totally uselessI'll bet they also did not tell you how to keep it.....Now we can all play "guess the species":D which does not help you.....

Next time when you buy a scorpion ask more questions. When you buy a car you also would want to know the mileage, if the brakes work, etc etc etc.....

I would like to help you, but with only a picture, my hands are tied. You could try to keep one end of the enclosure dry and the other half moist. Then you can monitor on which half the scorpions stays the most and which it prefers....so you can choose moist or dry.

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
Sorry but I know what to ask when I buy a scorpion. I asked it, and I didn't get a good answer.And they don't know how to keep scorpions anyway.

I bought it anyway because here, in Quebec, the hobby is not as developped as in Europe or US. We don't have a lot of species, so when I find a specimen that I like and is not common in my region I buy it, even if I don't know what it is.

I would prefer to buy something I know, but it's not always possible here. There are not a lot of breeders like in Europe. CB scorpions are rare here. Importers often calls their scorpions "yellow scorpions" "black scorpions" or "thick tail" because they don't know what it is.

Can you blame me for buying this scorpion?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry but I know what to ask when I buy a scorpion. I asked it, and I didn't get a good answer.And they don't know how to keep scorpions anyway.

I bought it anyway because here, in Quebec, the hobby is not as developped as in Europe or US. We don't have a lot of species, so when I find a specimen that I like and is not common in my region I buy it, even if I don't know what it is.

I would prefer to buy something I know, but it's not always possible here. There are not a lot of breeders like in Europe. CB scorpions are rare here. Importers often calls their scorpions "yellow scorpions" "black scorpions" or "thick tail" because they don't know what it is.

Can you blame me for buying this scorpion?

Of course not :) In fact, now that I read your explanation, it makes more sense to me, so thanks for that, now I understand better. I would have done the same in your position. Pet shops are no different here in the Netherlands, well, most of them anyway, some people know a bit more about husbandry, but most pet stores suck....

I read my papers about Malagasy scorpions and Lourenco's book of the malagasy fauna, these Opisthacanthus are distributed in Madagascar in both mesic an xeric habitats. The species of the eastern part of Southern Africa live in savannah type habitats. So, I advise you to keep them not too humid, so one half of the substrate moist, the other half dry. Misting every week to two weeks. Substrate can be a mix of sand and humus/ cocopeat. Some rocks, some cork bark and they should be happy campers.....