Need help figuring out which Tarantula

rohitbandaru

Arachnopeon
I have read the beginner info thread and i'm posting here hoping to get advice because i've found only one exporter of tarantulas (and a bunch of other animals) and he sent me a list of them he says he sells :

*Amblypygids
*Nephila spiders ( species)
*Pterinochilus mammilus(red Usambarae)
*Pterinochilus murinus(Orange baboon)
*Kilimanjaro baboon spider
*Morogoro baboon spiders(P. lugardi)
*Pterinochilus widenmanni
*Tanzania stoutlegged baboon spider
*Pterinochilus sp.(Dodoma baboon)
*Huntsman spider-Wolf-lycosa.
*Usambara yellow/black footed spider

I'm not sure which are tarantulas and which are not. I've read up about them, and found out that the baboons are not beginner pets. I can't figure out which of these could be for beginners. There's just one supplier who deals wholesale but i think i managed to convince him to send just one. I'm scared to lose him for fear of not finding another exporter again. (There are no such pet shops which sell animals around here).

Could anyone please help me out. I was hoping he would have something like the Brazilian black, or chilean rose hair or one of those big, docile and safe tarantulas, but i guess i could go for one of these if the desired aren't available..

Many thanks!
Rohit, from India

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Might be two more on there. But those are the ones I know of. All old world Tarantulas. Definitely not advised for handling as they are generally highly defensive. But Pterinochilus murinus is easy to care for even if it is a fast and not advised for handling. Hopefully someone else will chime in with something, but all of these I know are defensive species.

rohitbandaru

Arachnopeon
thanks!

i'm still checking up right now, and i've realised Amblypygids aren't exactly spiders but a harmless variation of arachnids :p

Any help will be useful! I'm also eagerly searching for another exporter who would ship to india!

I'm guessing no Old World tarantula would be suggested for a beginner. I realised that i can keep one, but shouldn't handle it, but also..It being aggressive might be scary.

bye :)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks!

i'm still checking up right now, and i've realised Amblypygids aren't exactly spiders but a harmless variation of arachnids :p

Any help will be useful! I'm also eagerly searching for another exporter who would ship to india!

I'm guessing no Old World tarantula would be suggested for a beginner. I realised that i can keep one, but shouldn't handle it, but also..It being aggressive might be scary.

bye :)
Well, if you do not handle then I would say a hardy old world like P. murinus would be alright to have. Also defensive is a better term than aggressive. If you can get a new world tarantula imported, than that would probably be best for a beginner.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you absolutely can't get a hold of any thing better suited for a beginner, I don't think a P. murinus would be the worst thing in the world. Just do a search for "murinus" on the boards & read everything you can find before making the decision.

I think they get a much worse rap then they deserve. I have 4" male & a 3" female, so far neither has given me so much as thread pose. I've already had to rehouse the male & he was very easy to work with.

Although, if looks like they are only exporting things from your side of the world. Is there any chance they could get E. pachypus for you? I've heard they are much easier to work with as far as OW goes.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although, if looks like they are only exporting things from your side of the world. Is there any chance they could get E. pachypus for you? I've heard they are much easier to work with as far as OW goes.
Good idea.

rohitbandaru

Arachnopeon
Okay i've sent a reply back a while ago to him, i will give updates when i get them.

I guess i'll try my luck with the Murinus, if none of the below are available.

Grammostola rosea (Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula)
Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Red Rump Tarantula)
Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee Tarantula)
Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Giant White Knee Tarantula)
Grammostola aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula)
Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink Tarantula)

The humidity here is currently about 90% :)

Edit: i just read and added the 'E.Pachypus' to the above list

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Tanzania Stoutlegged Baboon Spider on your original list is the E. pachypus.

Cass

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a bit concerned when you say "There are no such pet shops which sell animals around here". If you don't have pet stores around you, then how do you plan to buy crickets/roaches to feed your tarantula.

If you are to afraid of fast defensive old world tarantulas then the Amblypygids would be a good pet. They can be pretty fast, but are harmless.

Pic of my D. diadema.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire

Might be two more on there. But those are the ones I know of. All old world Tarantulas. Definitely not advised for handling as they are generally highly defensive. But Pterinochilus murinus is easy to care for even if it is a fast and not advised for handling. Hopefully someone else will chime in with something, but all of these I know are defensive species.
And all from Africa! these are all from my 'back yard' and most likely wild cought!Please do proper reserch and take care of them properly!
Thanx

rohitbandaru

Arachnopeon
thanks cass! i must have missed that one. i'm still getting used to the many names and classes.

Hi kripp,
I understand your concern, and i haven't figured that problem out :p
Okay firstly, I assure you i'm not getting a tarantula until everything i need to know and have, for it, is ready. (A container, proper substrate, required humidity/dehumidifier, food, etc, etc.) When i'm satisfied with it all, i guess i can call for one. But it's not right to just call for the tarantula and then look into accommodation. I'm currently just looking for possibilities of owning a pet tarantula around here :)

okay secondly, How do you guys feel about roaches found around here? They come in various sizes, ranging from the size of fingernails to 2" in length. I just have to catch them in the night :p

Now, Though they have not been sprayed with pesticides, they do travel in and around the house, eating indelible foods and such. I'm guessing this isn't too healthy to work...or can it?
Also, i get loads of moths all night! All sizes. I've read that T's eat them, could that work? Moths seem to be clean insects.
I will read more about the Amblypigids. Looks like the food is the same for both of them :)

cheerios!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's a thread pose?
Lol do they have something against arachnoboards.

OP go with the tanzanian stoutleg baboon(E.pachypus)
It seems like the best choice for a newbie.
Threat pose, lol. Darn tiny phone buttons.

I also never saw the E. Pachypus listed in his original list, just thought it might be something more obtainable if the exporter is only working with nearby species.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ts love moths and roaches they should be fine! you'll get a bunch of "dont use wild caught feeders" but the T is probably wild caught to! I wouldnt worry! i use them all the time to no ill effects! hell go catch yourself a pokie! if i was in india i would!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do not recommend you feed your trantula wild caught food.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have a P. Murinus, and it is pretty aggressive. The thing scares me to death. I wouldn't recommend this T for a beginner. Although this particular T is hardy and very hard to kill and would be good in that sense for a beginner, but it has been known to be "Orange Bity Thing" hence the nickname "OBT".

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ts love moths and roaches they should be fine! you'll get a bunch of "dont use wild caught feeders" but the T is probably wild caught to! I wouldnt worry! i use them all the time to no ill effects! hell go catch yourself a pokie! if i was in india i would!
Heck yes! We would go catch our own little pokie army!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Threat pose, lol. Darn tiny phone buttons.

I also never saw the E. Pachypus listed in his original list, just thought it might be something more obtainable if the exporter is only working with nearby species.
Wow. I just got home, opened my computer which still had this thread up, & just realized the OP did actually list "Tanzania stoutlegged baboon spider".

Between my concussion & everyday stress :rolleyes: