Need help figuring on whats wrong with my cobalt blue!!!

cold blood

Staff member
My cobalt blue looks to be in trouble and idk whats happening!! help me!
How about some pics, or at least a descrpition of the percieved problem. How big is the specimen?

Your post is like saying, my cars not running well, whats wrong?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
its looks very dry, not to mention theres only like 2 " of substrate. post a pic of the spider and one of the cage laterally. (side view)

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon
Bythewayialsothoughtthatwhenhewasoutthatwashismoltturnsoutitwasntandwhenitouchedhimwithmybrushhewentbackintheburrowshortlyafter

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i cant tell anything from those photos. are you sure its not a molt youre looking at? post a pic of the whole cage. it looks like youre following online care sheets and pet store advice, both are terrible and end up killing tarantulas. ditch that hygrometer and any temp guages you have, following them leads to dead spiders more often than not.
that cage also looks gigantic for a juvenile C lividus, you probably want to look into a smaller cage till it gets bigger. how big is the spider btw?

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like a molt...now is it stuck in the molt and dragging it around?

With as dry as it looks, this wouldnt exactly be a surprise. Theyre very miosture dependent, which is just part of the reason theyre an advanced species.

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon

With as dry as it looks, this wouldnt exactly be a surprise. Theyre very miosture dependent, which is just part of the reason theyre an advanced species.
Thanks for the helpful response. I moistened it up a bit and ditched the hygrometer. the substrate is completely moist now. As you can see my spacebar started working again... Hopefully he makes it, He's in the burrow right now. I had no idea moisture could affect molts, but now I'm aware. Thank you again, fingers crossed for my little guy :( I'll keep you updated

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon

Also one more question, is it uncommon for them to live after being in such a state (dragging molt around)? I love this spider and am doing everything I can, he's my first OW and means a great deal to me.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also one more question, is it uncommon for them to live after being in such a state (dragging molt around)? I love this spider and am doing everything I can, he's my first OW and means a great deal to me.
It's not unheard of for a T to lose an appendage or two (or 4) to a bad molt. As long as it has access to an always full water dish (and in this case, moist substrate - not wet) and its fangs are intact, it'll probably be fine.

Give it at least a week before trying to feed post molt.

P.S. If your space bar goes out again, use punctuation to separate words. It's.much.easier.to.read.when.words.are.separated.

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reassurance, he's always had a full water dish with fresh water (not tap) . Good point regarding the keyboard.. didn't even think of that. His fangs are definitely intact as I can see them through the plastic in his burrow where he resides currently. All of you have been so helpful and nice, thanks again to all of you. Cheers everyone! I'll update this post when i know more!

cold blood

Staff member
Sure, getting stuck, but still being mobile is better than being stuck in a bad position upside down....at least yours will be able to amputate the limbs its self and fix the problem.

Now if its stuck to the fangs or book lungs, thats not good.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
One more thing, how deep is the substrate? I can´t really tell from the picture, but H. lividum needs to be able to burrow properly. You should consider giving it more substrate the next time you rehouse it (as well as keeping it moist) if it isn´t deep enough.

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon
One more thing, how deep is the substrate? I can´t really tell from the picture, but H. lividum needs to be able to burrow properly. You should consider giving it more substrate the next time you rehouse it (as well as keeping it moist) if it isn´t deep enough.
I have about 4 inches of substrate in the enclosure. I will be keeping it much more moist from now on seeing as the hygrometer i had wasn't reading accurately at all.. he's only about 1 and a half inches legspan and has only burrowed about an inch or so deep. I also planted a live plant in there and it has been helping maintain humidity too.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have about 4 inches of substrate in the enclosure. I will be keeping it much more moist from now on seeing as the hygrometer i had wasn't reading accurately at all.. he's only about 1 and a half inches legspan and has only burrowed about an inch or so deep. I also planted a live plant in there and it has been helping maintain humidity too.
Ah, right, then disregard my comment about substrate depth! The hygrometer is useless inside the enclosure of a tarantula. Take it out and make a humidor for cigars instead! Live plants looks great, but is not worth the effort IME. You might have much greener fingers than me, though :)

Good luck with your T.

Jlw13194

Arachnopeon
Ah, right, then disregard my comment about substrate depth! The hygrometer is useless inside the enclosure of a tarantula. Take it out and make a humidor for cigars instead! Live plants looks great, but is not worth the effort IME. You might have much greener fingers than me, though :)

Good luck with your T.
UPDATE
Cobalt blue had a successful molt!!! I see him down his burrow on his side, (not in deathcurl) I think he's just really weak and tired. He'll prolly do some more digging when he's built his strength back. Got a full water dish and gonna wait a week to feed. Thanks for all the best wishes you guys are the best

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the helpful response. I moistened it up a bit and ditched the hygrometer. the substrate is completely moist now. As you can see my spacebar started working again... Hopefully he makes it, He's in the burrow right now. I had no idea moisture could affect molts, but now I'm aware. Thank you again, fingers crossed for my little guy :( I'll keep you updated
If you had no idea that moisture affects molts, you have no business getting a H. lividum.

Last edited: