Need help determining what tarantula species to get(Im a noob)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
so what is good cage for the long run because a quart seems is a little small
That big cage seems sufficient for a bigger tarantula. It'll be a long frackin time before a Chaco gets to be big enough for that enclosure, but if you happen to come across a tarantula that IS big enough, then by all means.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
just took off the heater
Some collectors have figured out ways to keep their tarantula room at the ideal temperature by using an aquarium heater tube to heat all the enclosures, but I don't know how that works. And it's only for big collections, so forget about it for now. Room temperature is perfectly fine.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
Some collectors have figured out ways to keep their tarantula room at the ideal temperature by using an aquarium heater tube to heat all the enclosures, but I don't know how that works. And it's only for big collections, so forget about it for now. Room temperature is perfectly fine.
well heat isnt a problem, i live in socal

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yeah that 20L is way too big. I have my 5" female G pulchripes (Golden Knee) in a 10 gal and it was way too big. She's in a large Critter Keeper and doing fine. Tarantulas just tend to do better when in a tighter space. They eat better as well. Room temps are fine in SoCal. Basically, if you're comfortable, your tarantula will be comfortable.
The G pulchripes is a great choice. My female was part of my original 3. The others were the L parahybana and the A genticulata. All 3 are top choices for your consideration. All 3 show well. They are always out. All 3 eat well too. The LP and the gentic are never really a consideration to be held, but so much can go wrong anyway. The larger ones don't really hide and that's all you'll want anyway, right?

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
Yeah that 20L is way too big. I have my 5" female G pulchripes (Golden Knee) in a 10 gal and it was way too big. She's in a large Critter Keeper and doing fine. Tarantulas just tend to do better when in a tighter space. They eat better as well. Room temps are fine in SoCal. Basically, if you're comfortable, your tarantula will be comfortable.
The G pulchripes is a great choice. My female was part of my original 3. The others were the L parahybana and the A genticulata. All 3 are top choices for your consideration. All 3 show well. They are always out. All 3 eat well too. The LP and the gentic are never really a consideration to be held, but so much can go wrong anyway. The larger ones don't really hide and that's all you'll want anyway, right?
yeah

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
should i get an adult female or a sling
I got a sling for my first T (also G. pulchripes) and it worked out well. I really enjoy watching them grow up, and slings are dirt cheap, so for me it's win-win. If you want a big spider now, get an adult.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
should i get an adult female or a sling
the ones cold blood has are 2 inches in legspan. That makes them juveniles, not slings. Slings and adults are bad choices for beginners. Slings are bad because they're so fragile and more of a hassle, and adults are bad because they're expensive as balls, both the spider and the husbandry equipment. You need big enclosures and big feeding insects, and the spider itself can go for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
I got a sling for my first T (also G. pulchripes) and it worked out well. I really enjoy watching them grow up, and slings are dirt cheap, so for me it's win-win. If you want a big spider now, get an adult.
the ones cold blood has are 2 inches in legspan. That makes them juveniles, not slings. Slings and adults are bad choices for beginners. Slings are bad because they're so fragile and more of a hassle, and adults are bad because they're expensive as balls, both the spider and the husbandry equipment. You need big enclosures and big feeding insects, and the spider itself can go for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
money and enclosure is not a problem for me, but it would be nice to see them grow

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
ok, so if i just used this big enclosure, is there any downsides to that? and what substrate should i get for a golden knee
If you checked out EulersK's series on Youtube you would have had the answers to your enclosure and substrate questions.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
money and enclosure is not a problem for me, but it would be nice to see them grow
I absolutely enjoy watching them grow which is why most of my collection are slings. That and it's cheaper lol. Money ain't a problem until you get addicted and have like 50+ ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Actually its a heat bath...very simple...but its only effective for SMALL collections....you would need a pool to use this with even a moderate collection.