Need help determining what tarantula species to get(Im a noob)

cold blood

Staff member
At that size there is no way to guarantee the sex of the tarantula unless you use a microscope to examine the genitalia of a shed exoskeleton. Ventral sexing is fairly reliable, though it is very possible to be fooled.
Many people will indeed sex them, as sexed females can and will sell for much much more. Profit isnt really my intetest, id rather a) get rid of them and b) be able to offer them for a lot lower prices to people. Most businesses dealing in ts will sex thier juvies because thats how they stay in business. I know @EulersK has sexed tbe ones i sent him...its just a matter of investing in the right magnification tools.

Youre right, vent sexing can give ypu a great idea, but its not 100% and not impossible to be fooled.

cold blood

Staff member
On another note, i have a few to send out when temps improve around here, and im not sure i will have any left until i send out those orders.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I know @EulersK has sexed tbe ones i sent him...its just a matter of investing in the right magnification tools.
It's really not hard to sex slings after the 0.75" mark, this is all that's needed. No need to invest in an expensive scope. It just takes a bit of practice to get it down. Some species are easier to sex than others due to spermatheca shape and size - Grammostolas tend to be very easy in my experience.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
is this tank good enough, it used to be a tank for a ball python, but it died a while back and the tank have been sitting

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
is this tank good enough, it used to be a tank for a ball python, but it died a while back and the tank have been sitting
That's way too large. The log hide seems to be the perfect size, but the enclosure needs to be only about half a foot long. Those Critter Cages can be bought for less than ten dollars. And no heat lamps or lights. That's how to build a tarantula death trap.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
That's way too large. The log hide seems to be the perfect size, but the enclosure needs to be only about half a foot long. Those Critter Cages can be bought for less than ten dollars. And no heat lamps or lights. That's how to build a tarantula death trap.
how many gallons would you estimate that to be

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
could i put something in the middle and add another T later
If I understand what you are saying, you are asking about turning the larger enclosure into a space for two specimens by setting up a divider? Please don't do that. Provide each specimen with their own separate enclosure. It's just not worth the risk of losing a T, if they managed to get at each other.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ok, so if i just used this big enclosure, is there any downsides to that? and what substrate should i get for a golden knee
yes, large cages can be stressful, and spiders typically eat less in them. just get a KK and leave it in one piece. substrate should be eco earth, peat moss, or topsoil.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
yes, large cages can be stressful, and spiders typically eat less in them. just get a KK and leave it in one piece. substrate should be eco earth, peat moss, or topsoil.
so what is good cage for the long run because a quart seems is a little small

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
ok, so if i just used this big enclosure, is there any downsides to that?
The other downside of a big enclosure is this: it takes up more space than it needs to. This may not seem like a big deal, but you will eventually want more tarantulas, and you will have one enclosure where you could have comfortably housed several tarantulas in smaller enclosures.

cold blood

Staff member
ok, so if i just used this big enclosure, is there any downsides to that? and what substrate should i get for a golden knee
I suggest doing a quick search...and you really just need to look through the recent ones. Literally both these questions have been answered very extensively....each in their own threads.

I would link them, but im forced to use my phone and have no idea how to do that on my device.