Need help determining what tarantula species to get(Im a noob)

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
So I've been thinking about getting a tarantula for while now and decided to get one. And im looking for something docile, fast growing, something that is easy going on handling, and very large(8in+). thank you

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
nothing fits all that criteria. Lasiodora are kind of close, but are pretty skittish and defensive IME. a adult G pulchripes or pulchra is the next closest, but they are very slow growing, and i doubt they get over 8", but pretty close i think.
tarantulas should not be handled btw.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
nothing fits all that criteria. Lasiodora are kind of close, but are pretty skittish and defensive IME. a adult G pulchripes or pulchra is the next closest, but they are very slow growing, and i doubt they get over 8", but pretty close i think.
tarantulas should not be handled btw.
I know its alot of criteria, I think 6-7 inches and up should open up the criteria, but my best bet right now in my opinion is the chaco gold knee

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If you cross out the handling, then a Lasiodara parahybana may be what you're looking for. My sister's first T was an L.p, and she doesn't regret it one bit. Grows and eats like no tomorrow, and docile enough for her to rehouse with little trouble. And take the advice @Venom1080 has on handling.

My first was a G. pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) that I got a year ago, but only because I preferred its coloration over the L.p. There's plenty of information on these boards, so perhaps go through a few threads to help decide. Good luck :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So I've been thinking about getting a tarantula for while now and decided to get one. And im looking for something docile, fast growing, something that is easy going on handling, and very large(8in+). thank you
Chaco Golden Knees are dope. Get one.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
ive been looking up Lp and the chaco golden knees, Im not really sure which one, im kind of skeptical of the lp because ive heard they are less docile and more skiddish

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Check out EulersK YouTube series AraneAid. It has all the info to get you started. The video in link below is about which tarantula is good for a new keeper.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If docility and skittishness is a concern, then I'd lean towards the G. pulchripes. Keep in mind that each tarantula is unique, and may be the complete opposite of their general species behavior. For instance, my sister's Lp is much less skittish than my B. smithi lol

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
ive been looking up Lp and the chaco golden knees, Im not really sure which one, im kind of skeptical of the lp because ive heard they are less docile and more skiddish
They are. And so common that it would be a waste of money to buy one. You'll probably get one as a freebie because they lay over 3000 eggs that breeders need to get rid of fast.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
Check out EulersK YouTube series AraneAid. It has all the info to get you started. The video in link below is about which tarantula is good for a new keeper.
ive actually seen that video,thats were i found out about the golden knee, and ive been doing i little research before find this site

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They are. And so common that it would be a waste of money to buy one. You'll probably get one as a freebie because they lay over 3000 eggs that breeders need to get rid of fast.
I see this all the time. I've bought a lot of Ts and no one has ever offered me a Lp as a freebie. If you want one - as cheap as they are- do it. At the prices they go for I bet you could get a nice female juvi on the cheap.

I'm fond of the G.pulchripes as well. All of mine are good eaters and they grow pretty quick.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
Yeah i think im going to get the golden knee, any advice on that and what to keep it in and where i could buy one, preferably not pet smart

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah i think im going to get the golden knee
I like mine. They are pretty cool.
any advice on that and what to keep it in
Depends on the size you get. I keep mine in a 16oz deli till about 2-2.5ish inches then move them to something bigger like a Really Useful Box. Bottle cap as a water dish. Buried cork for a hide or some large fake leaves is the cork wont fit.
where i could buy one
I'd look in the classifieds on here. There are a lot of sellers and I buy most of my Ts from here.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
I like mine. They are pretty cool.

Depends on the size you get. I keep mine in a 16oz deli till about 2-2.5ish inches then move them to something bigger like a Really Useful Box. Bottle cap as a water dish. Buried cork for a hide or some large fake leaves is the cork wont fit.

I'd look in the classifieds on here. There are a lot of sellers and I buy most of my Ts from here.
yeah i have an encloser that used to be for a snake, that will work right

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Let me know what size you are planning on getting and snap a photo of it. I'll let you know. :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yeah i think im going to get the golden knee, any advice on that and what to keep it in and where i could buy one, preferably not pet smart
Buy one from @cold blood. He is the man who gave me mine, a beautiful 2" juvenile named Regina. Since she is in premolt, I'm guessing all of her brothers and sisters have either recently molted or are about to. Purchase one of the small Critter Cages from any pet store along with the smallest half-log hide things. Bury the log with one end sticking up out of the substrate, and the other end up against the side of the enclosure so you can see the spider inside it. The water dish can just be a plastic bottle cap. I used one from a Gatorade bottle. I'm glad we were able to help you decide, bro! Good luck with your first tarantula.

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
well im planning to get a juvenille female
At that size there is no way to guarantee the sex of the tarantula unless you use a microscope to examine the genitalia of a shed exoskeleton. Ventral sexing is fairly reliable, though it is very possible to be fooled.

dominator6675

Arachnopeon
Buy one from @cold blood. He is the man who gave me mine, a beautiful 2" juvenile named Regina. Since she is in premolt, I'm guessing all of her brothers and sisters have either recently molted or are about to. Purchase one of the small Critter Cages from any pet store along with the smallest half-log hide things. Bury the log with one end sticking up out of the substrate, and the other end up against the side of the enclosure so you can see the spider inside it. The water dish can just be a plastic bottle cap. I used one from a Gatorade bottle. I'm glad we were able to help you decide, bro! Good luck with your first tarantula.
thank you