Need help choosing my first T

MclarenF1

Arachnopeon
So for the past week or so I've been searching for a good T for me to start with. It seems that everyone seems to recommend a G. Rosea, but I heard that they were pretty slow growing. I've been looking at getting a G. Aureostriata, being that they are docile and they get big.

So basically what I am looking for is a T that is relatively cheap, grows quickly, is docile, and it gets fairly large. If I made the criteria on a list in order of importance, it would look like this. (1. being most important, 4. being least important)

1.docile
2.grows quickly
3.gets fairly large
4.relatively cheap

Thanks for the help

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rose hair. perfect starter T.
The get to be about 5 to 6 in.
They're very docile.
Cheap? Alot of the time they're preactically free.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would get an Acanthoscurria geniculata, there fast growers and all of mine are always on display, they get fairly large. The only drawback is they are skittish in my experience.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you messed the entire thing up by adding that fast growing thing in there. most of the laid back on valium Ts are slow growing i think lol

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Rosea is quite possibly the single most boring species to me. If you get one, theyre very hardy and easy to keep, but they grow at a glacial pace, so dont get a sling. I'd say snag a B. vagans, though I'm not a fan of docile NW T's, hahah, I'd rather jump into a L. Parahybana ;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. Rosea is quite possibly the single most boring species to me. If you get one, theyre very hardy and easy to keep, but they grow at a glacial pace, so dont get a sling. I'd say snag a B. vagans, though I'm not a fan of docile NW T's, hahah, I'd rather jump into a L. Parahybana ;)
i am sure the spider would rather you didnt jump into it lol
why not an OBT they gro fast and always seem to want a hug lol

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
L. Parahybana get really big, correctr me if im wrong, i do believe around 10" to 11". My aunt had one, when i saw it, it was fairly "moody". With kicking hairs. Very nice T to have to your collection.
"G. Rosea, boring"??? That is true, but at times they do the weirdest things, unless mine just acts like a retard. lol. hope u make a good choice and when you pick your T. please post a thread & pics if u will.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe, what can I say, I like bitch Tarantulas. ;)

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't have to lie to make friends. That never happened. :razz:

After keeping an A. Seemani and G. Rosea as some of my first T's some years back, I vowed never to get another spider from either genus, haha.
Yea, my obt was rather average and nothing extreme by obt standards, but it was still a huge son of a bitch. My H. Gigas was worse, now that was a hell spider.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You don't have to lie to make friends. That never happened. :razz:

After keeping an A. Seemani and G. Rosea as some of my first T's some years back, I vowed never to get another spider from either genus, haha.
Yea, my obt was rather average and nothing extreme by obt standards, but it was still a huge son of a bitch. My H. Gigas was worse, now that was a hell spider.
MY H. gigas so far hasent even thrown a threat . it stays in its tunnel tho lol

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's odd. My H. Gigas was always in the tunnel during the day, but came out and did rounds in the tank almost everynight. Rehousing was hell with that bastard.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Growth rate isn't important, just find a rosea that's already 2" and reliably sexed as female. Then you'll have it FOREVER. {D

G. aureostriata is a good pick too, although I love my rosea and my aureo equally. My rosea is amusing in his own sleepy, doofy, slow-moving way, while the aureostriata likes to move dirt around and create mysterious structures. The latter is skittish, but it's also still just a juvie. I hear when they get big enough to feel confident they usually calm down. Doesn't matter to me, though, I don't handle. :)

pancho64

Arachnopeon
i agree with some of the other members here, i find g. rosea to be incredibly boring and having limited space for my collection i try to only keep species that i find interesting. p cancerides is an awesome spider that will def keep u on ur toes. not too hard to keep either. l. para is a great choice too like others have been suggesting. my only advice is to stay away from burrowing species as if its ur first u might be a tad upset about not seeing ur new pet ever.

MclarenF1

Arachnopeon
It seems that G. Aureostriata would be the best choice. Do any of you know how much it grows in a year. I think I might get a 1 inch sling.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got a 1-1/2" chaco (G aureostriata) about 4 months ago. 3 molts later it's now pushing 4". They are really fun to keep what the nonstop bulldozing and voracious appetite and (relatively) fast growth. That means fast for a grammostola, not fast like a pokey. They're a little skittish but that's only a problem if you want to handle them which i personally don't. Rosea's really can be quirky and entertaining when not doing their rock imitation. Definitely try to get a juvenile or adult tho'. Like some of these guys here said, they grow slooowwwwwww.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So to sum up F1 i bet in a year your 1" sling would get upwards of 4" if you feed it well. Thy'll sure eat well if you let them so that shouldn't be a problem as long as you excercise some restraint and don't feed like 5 crix a day every day...