Need help, centipede is acting strange

screbel

Arachnopeon
I have a haitian giant centipede, and it looks like the inside of its anal segment is hanging out, kinda if u were to press on the anal segment to see if its a male or female, very strange. It molted about 3 weeks ago and ever since, it almost looks as if its dragging the back few legs. Also, its just really jittery when it moves. I'm worried :(

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this does not bode well... I can't guess at what might be wrong, but in my experience centipedes can only heal themselves when they molt, and if it is an adult it may be another year before it molts again. Nursing a damaged centipede for a year is not impossible. it involves feeding dead foods like cooked eggs/meats. avoid cured/salted meats. rumor is that certain cat/dog foods can be harmful so i avoid these altogether. You may have to make an ideal hide by hand because your pede may stop burrowing for itself. you also need access to the hide to remove uneaten food before it rots/molds. centipedes are tough to keep sometimes

screbel

Arachnopeon
thanks so much, it doesn't burrow at all, i've had it for several months, i have it in a plastic container with air holes in it, also the container is about 10 inches long and 5 or so inches high. It has access to water and everything

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Sadly, I don't think I've ever seen one recover from this. Infections to the prolapsed area are common, no doubt as a result of it coming into contact with substrate etc. Paralysis to some legs/segments is also a bad sign. Some suggest keeping the centipede in a bare,clean container with a water dish to help prevent infections, and that the lack of moisture might help the prolapse retract, but I've not seen any cases which prove this to be the case. It could be that the centipede is old, and the musculature which keeps these parts held in is failing, or there is already an internal infection/blockage which is causing it. I've had it happen to a female after she was mated, and wondered if she picked up a nasty during sperm transfer, or on cleaning herself. She did pass eventually, seeming to be "straining" to pass waste.