Need Help ASAP

nominds

Arachnopeon
ok heres the deal i have 2 black emporer scorpions now now a made a post about a week ago how they were sluggish and you ppl said this was normal well he was alive then and i up the temps and humidity

now heres my question is it possable my other scorp eat the other one cause they were both in there hide together and my big one was always on top of the other one (what i don't understand cause i bought them at the petstore together) they was in the same tank ....now is my other scorp just molting or did my other one eat him .... cause here is a pic of how i find him under his hide

:8o :8o :8o:8o

Attachments

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it's molting just give it about 6 hours to a day and check on it. 1 of my scorpions died during molt coz i disturbed it too much.:(

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have him on bark chips like it looks like in the pic then it has probably dehydrated. Then again it does look a little like it could be molting. If you dont put it on some moist peat you will lose both of them for sure.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok heres the deal i have 2 black emporer scorpions now now a made a post about a week ago how they were sluggish and you ppl said this was normal well he was alive then and i up the temps and humidity

now heres my question is it possable my other scorp eat the other one cause they were both in there hide together and my big one was always on top of the other one (what i don't understand cause i bought them at the petstore together) they was in the same tank ....now is my other scorp just molting or did my other one eat him .... cause here is a pic of how i find him under his hide

:8o :8o :8o:8o
I agree with Brian, get it off the wood chips. In the last two threads that you began there was always the question... what is your tank set up like... Temps, Humidity, Substrate, Water Source etc. you never replied to those questions or 'we' would have told you then to go with coco fiber or peat.

Now I have 4 emps in 1 tank and they all share the same hide, when I look in there (lifting the hide off) they look like a litter of pups all wound up in a ball of claws and tails. I also bought two Pandinus cavimanus that were tank mates for nearly 1 week at the pet store where 1 when brought home decided to cannibalize its mate within the week. I have 2 H spp in 1 tank that stay in separate hides and don't bother each other for well over 6 months now.

So just to state clearly, all scorpions can at some point decide to eat the scorpion sitting next to them, even if they all are well fed and very docile, it just happens.

Thaedion

nominds

Arachnopeon
well the tank and setup i have is this

it's a 10 gallon tank and it has a false bottom setup as i read those were good
with gravel on the bottom and i have repti bark on top (not wood chips) i use the same stuff for my tarantulas.... and i have a little soap dish i fill with water for them to drink and change it everynight and we mist the top like every other day . as for temps well im not sure but there in a pretty warm room and they have a heating pad on the side of the tank

so hope that helps

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have repti bark on top (not wood chips) i use the same stuff for my tarantulas....
See, that suff isnt any good for your scorps or tarantulas for that matter). Might be fine for herps (although I dont use it on mine) but not for scorps

and we mist the top like every other day . as for temps well im not sure but there in a pretty warm room and they have a heating pad on the side of the tank
Misting is no good for raising humidity. It just evaporates without soaking into the substrate, so for all practical purposes throw that away. That repti bark isnt going to soak up moisture very well in the first place. Go get some coconut or go to your local Wal Mart and pick up a sack of Schultz's Peat Moss in the garden center. If you dont, you will kill your scorps

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like Brian and Thaedion already said, replace the substrate for peat or similar substrate.

I have 10 imperators in a large communal tank, they don't mind climbing on top of each other. All you will see when lifting up the bark is a large pile up of scorps.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that a leg I see in the far bottom right corner?

nominds

Arachnopeon
nope not his leg that his his tail .....his tail is completly broken off and one of his claws .......i doubt he's moulting cause he's been the same way for a day now

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nope not his leg that his his tail .....his tail is completly broken off and one of his claws .......i doubt he's moulting cause he's been the same way for a day now
Um...scorpions don't usually lose parts when molting so I figure its friend chomped it :confused:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it s not moving and has its body parts scattered, its dead! Remove it now before it starts to stink and grow molds. Change your substrate. I wish you luck on your other scorp.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, thats what I was getting at. Parts don't get scattered during a molt. I would get that carcass out of there before it attracts mites... I'm surprised no one else saw the body parts. LOL

nominds

Arachnopeon
yes i took out the carcass ..... but it just seems wierd to me that my other scorp would eat him cause they were in the same tank at the store for god knows how long before i got them and i had them a few months they was fine ...just when i went to check up on them cause they hide under a coconut shell when i lifted it up i seen the parts right off so i knew he eat him but i never seen a scorp molt so thats why i posted here to find out ....but i guess i was right

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen a lot of people lose emperor scorps. I had a friend that had the same thing happen. With mine, I would hold them every day and i kept them at room temperature, i just misted them every day. i also live in SD so its always pretty nice and warm as well though. sorry about your loss.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes i took out the carcass ..... but it just seems wierd to me that my other scorp would eat him cause they were in the same tank at the store for god knows how long before i got them and i had them a few months they was fine ...just when i went to check up on them cause they hide under a coconut shell when i lifted it up i seen the parts right off so i knew he eat him but i never seen a scorp molt so thats why i posted here to find out ....but i guess i was right
Dude,scorpions are generally notorious for almost randomly becoming canabalistic. I had two O.Glabifrons 3rd instars, and they used to sleep on top of each other, and look pretty 'buddy-budy', then one night after I fed them, I was greeted to the one holding a cricket aswell as chomping his 'buddy's' tail :eek: Personally if it's a money thing or it upsets you, I wouldn't keep any species communally just incase.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK - I have a question. Everyone pushes peat moss for the emps. Is there any reason why sphagnum moss can't be used instead. I have a brick of it and wanted to get some more imps. What do you all think?

Tom

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While most emps hide together, it is always a good idea to offer more than one hide in a communal setup. As for your questions about the two being ok together at the pet shop, the stress of being in a new environment seems to kick in the mean-gene. Had you offered substrate that could support a burrow or more than one hide, this may have been prevented, but maybe not as well. Whenever I introduce a new scorp into the mix, I always pay close attention, for as long as I can at least, for fights and disputes. If they happen, and look like they are getting out of hand, poke 'em with a stick! Ok, kidding, but do try to intervene (I use bamboo chopsticks, but foam tipped tongs are good) if something goes horribly wrong.
But again, a scorp does have the propensity to simply eat his neighbor one day, as stated earlier (and countless times in the forum).

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK - I have a question. Everyone pushes peat moss for the emps. Is there any reason why sphagnum moss can't be used instead. I have a brick of it and wanted to get some more imps. What do you all think?

Tom
I have sphagnum mixed in with eco earth in my P. imp large enclosure ( used to have a breeding pair in it but the male passed away) and have had no problems.... it works for me, so i don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Tom
I like sphagnum moss, I even have a clump of it in my Parbuthus sp. setups, it provides humidty and seems to like the heat. Also, and perhaps this is just my imagination, it seems to keep the cage clean, I use alot of it in my emperor set-up, and I have not had a problem with mold, mites or any other nasties. I think it's best to mix it with a bit of peat though in Pandinus sp. set-ups though, to encourage digging, sphagnum moss isn't really burrow friendly.