Need Help after Molt

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Yesterday my A.Chalchodes molted and seemed to have no issues but now that she has started to move around I noticed her coloring is completely different as she is now a smokey grey to black, has anyone heard of something like this before?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is nothing wrong health-wise with your T.

Ts colors fade over time and brighten up after a molt. Also some species change color due to sexual dimorphism (which I don't think is in A chalcodes) and general maturity.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've heard of it. This happens from time to time for unknown reasons. I have an Aphonopelma anax female change color to dark grey/ black after a molt then switch back to its usual colors on the next. I've heard of the same thing happening before with A. chalcodes. Enjoy it being black while you can. Chances are it will return to its usual coloration on the next molt.

And by the way. A. chalcodes males look like A. hentzi or A. anax males with a copper carapace and dark grey to black legs. They differ drastically from the females in that way. ;)

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the helpful replies!She also has some pieces of what I think is molt but what could be dried feces near her spinnerets.If this is dried feces I should slightly prod it with a wet cue tip if it does not fall off in the following days am I correct? By the way this is a confirmed female purchased from Ken the bug guy in July of 2013

Attachments

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks for the helpful replies!She also has some pieces of what I think is molt but what could be dried feces near her spinnerets.If this is dried feces I should slightly prod it with a wet cue tip if it does not fall off in the following days am I correct? By the way this is a confirmed female purchased from Ken the bug guy in July of 2013
Since your tarantula just molted it's hard to tell what that is you have pictured. In the last picture though, it looks more like a malformation of the abdominal cuticle. Don't do anything until it has fully recovered from the molt and you see what it looks like after a couple of weeks. You might cause more harm than good until then.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
My Ap.Anax had a bit of moult leftover stuck on the butt...just left it and it went..