Need feeding techniques for picky eaters

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
i need to know a few trick son making a picky eater eat . my heterometrus longimanus has not eaten since i got it (or so i think) . i need your help guys!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could be ni premolt or gravid. As lomg as it's not losing weight your good.

The usual issue with picky eaters is size of the prey item, at least in my experience. Prekilling the food might help.

JOhn

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get a cricket or a roach and take the head off
get some 8+ inch tweezers
take te cricket or roach and put it up to the scorpions mouth parts
and see if it starts taking it and if or when it does let it go and leave it be

you can try that its easy enough to do

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL, I think this is a typical captivity thing "picky eating".....Can't imagine this happens in nature......Like John, I am under the impression this has to do with prey size in some species, in my experience Rhopalurus princeps and R.bonettii can be picky and will refuse to feed when you feed too large prey. But a large scorpion like H.longimanus........never understoord why Heterometrus and Pandinus species fast for longer periods. I just know that they do, and they survive it. They will eat at some point....

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, this whole picky eating thing is a bit over played by beginners. Your bug isn't going to starve itself. If it stops eating and eventually dies, it is from something else, quite often poor husbandry and a lack of understanding for the animal itself.

Make sure your environmental parameters are appropriate for the species in question and leave it alone for the next few weeks. Thats the best advice I can give you and probably all you really need.

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah. General advice in taking care of scorps for a begginer. Dont worry about feeding. Well... let me think of another way to put that.

Dont worry about it eating lol. Put food in there. Try diffrent methods. If nothing works. Rinse and repeat.

Normally if i have a picky eater. I do a rotation.
Crickets. i try--
large alive then,
large pre killed.
small alive,
small pre killed.

Then will switch to another feeder such as roaches or meal worms and try same thing...

But you should only have to go through such pains if your scorp hasnt ate in months.

I had a emp that went like 4 months without eating...
Its tank mate kept in same condition, would eat 2 or 3 very large crickets every time i dropped them in there. Sometimes scorps just go long periods without eating.

Hope this helps, Cheerz
Airrick.

P.s. Also with prekilled sometimes it helps to remove head as stated above.(not for sure why lol... But i mean.. i dont want to eat my chicken if it had head attached =X)