need expert housing advice

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
Yeah, they will grow faster...but warming slings with a lamp is like putting them in the oven on low...just a matter of time till theyre over cooked.

Those temps wont be harmful though.

A heat bath using a simple aquarium heater is a easy and economical way to heat a handful of slings.
I love the heat bath setup! That's really smart! I'm definitely going to do that for my avic and smithi slings, just to help them grow a little. I don't think my Nhandu sling needs it, he's already growing really fast. I also rehoused the avic sling in a smaller deli container (16 oz) and added a piece of wood, a leaf, and a shallow water dish. Rehoused the smithi sling in a smaller plastic container (10 oz) and added more substrate, kept his cork bark, and added a shallow water dish. The water dishes I used for both of them is a sombrero hat from a LEGO minifigure. It's actually perfect for really small slings. Also rehoused my LD and LP in 2.5 gallon tanks (they measure 12" x 6"). The LD seemed to be the perfect size for that tank (he's 4" now). The LP might be a little small for this tank, he's 2" now. And I'm about to rehouse my 2" smithi in another 2.5 gallon tank. If you can think of anything else I need to do, let me know. I really appreciate all your advice!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I love the heat bath setup! That's really smart! I'm definitely going to do that for my avic and smithi slings, just to help them grow a little. I don't think my Nhandu sling needs it, he's already growing really fast. I also rehoused the avic sling in a smaller deli container (16 oz) and added a piece of wood, a leaf, and a shallow water dish. Rehoused the smithi sling in a smaller plastic container (10 oz) and added more substrate, kept his cork bark, and added a shallow water dish. The water dishes I used for both of them is a sombrero hat from a LEGO minifigure. It's actually perfect for really small slings. Also rehoused my LD and LP in 2.5 gallon tanks (they measure 12" x 6"). The LD seemed to be the perfect size for that tank (he's 4" now). The LP might be a little small for this tank, he's 2" now. And I'm about to rehouse my 2" smithi in another 2.5 gallon tank. If you can think of anything else I need to do, let me know. I really appreciate all your advice!
I prefer disposable water dishes. Water bottle caps for small specimens and souffle cups for larger ones. Easily replaced with a new one when they get nasty instead of trying to scrub it out.