Need Care instructions on Wolf spider?? First timer

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
So I have been watching a lot of arachnid and tarantula keepers for a long time on youtube and even though I'm a little afraid of spiders I found some big wolf spider in my house recently that my bf killed well I'm pretty sure I just found maybe not a sling but a juvenile wolf spider I think it may b male cause of the really small abdomen. Anyways I will post pics of his temp enclosure I dont know anything about keeping these amazing little guys I put him in a small tubaware container where I used a knife to put aort of slits in the sides and then two layers of toilet paper I lightly put a drop of water on with a very small bottle cap water dish I heard they are very thirsty little guys so I'm gonna go down to the exotic pet store that literally a block away and get substrate with crickets to feed him he does have all typical wolf spider looks he cant climb and fell when I tried to catch him lol but I did get him I'm sure it was upsetting to him hes hiding in the layers of toilet paper and was starting to slightly curl his legs and that's when I put a light mist with a water dish. I want to know everything I can know about keeping this little guy nice healthy and happy thank you.
P.S his enclosure is in a huge tub I was just being extra careful I guess the big tub doesnt have a lid on or anything.

More pics

Now that I have had a good look this guy is like less than a half inch he or she is very tiny I think it may b a

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
It’s very cool that you are trying to keep it. They are more fun to keep than a lot of tarantulas. So, first the tub you’re using is okay, but it needs holes in the sides, not slits. These are for cross ventilation, not so much for the spider’s breathing, and they should be put in the sides. Next, spiders do not live on tissue. You need to put an inch or two of top soil (or another suitable substrate) in there. Provide a hide for the little rascal. This can be something store bought, but I generally use plastic leaves from fake plants, or bits of drift wood positioned so they can get under them. Finally, a little water container, e.g., the top from a water bottle, etc.. Keep one portion (about 25%) of the substrate damp, not wet. Wolf spiders, and similar species, can utilize a little extra room to roam. Consequently, I usually keep mine in containers that are about 12” long and 4-6” wide when they’re adults, and of course proportionally smaller for young ones. They are tremendously fun to watch hunt. Feed them little crickets or meal worms and they do just fine.

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
Could you get a clearer pic, please?

My Pirata piraticus does fine in a medium deli cup with about 2-3 inches of coco fiber. I have very little surface decor because she burrows down to hide during the day. Larger species do need more room that a deli cup, though.

I wouldn't recommend putting your spider's container in another unless the holes are large enough for possible escape (prey and/or spider).
A water dish isn't always needed as they will drink droplets if you mist the container and will drink from a wet paper towel as well.
Small crickets are best until it gets bigger and make sure you remove them if it doesn't eat them as they can harm and kill it.

Last edited:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
My Hogna miami is all I have to go by, but it burrowed about 3" down and had multiple exits, so I would recommend giving it at least 3-4" of substrate, a hide, and some cover, like a bit of plastic plants or something. I kept mine almost just like a T, although it never drank from its water bowl. It usually went for water I misted against one of the walls. I fed it once a week.

Mine was an old, old man when he kicked it and lasted for a solid 2.5 years.

I'm excited to see a clearer photo of it!

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
Well he or she is hard to get a clear photo of cause my phone sucks but its eating right now so I might b able to

I hope this works best I could hes in a nice spacious enclosure now. Btw I live in oregon. Found him or her in ny house

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
Oh strange cause I live in north america in the united states of course oregon state but I thought from what I read pardosa speceis are found in Europe and I have him on sort of moist substrate I bought the eco brick of substrate and had one half of the enclosure thin layer and the half is in a like a 3 to 4 inch layer so that way he or she can burrow and hide I put some leaf litter in there also with a little water dish and man was it hungry as soon as it realized the cricket it just gobbled it up great takedown actually it was awesome

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I hope this works best I could hes in a nice spacious enclosure now. Btw I live in oregon. Found him or her in ny house
I think your little spider friend is actually a funnel weaver (Agelenidae). These spiders are also harmless, but unlike wolf spiders, they build webs to catch their prey. I would recommend adding some anchor points for webbing.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Oh strange cause I live in north america in the united states of course oregon state but I thought from what I read pardosa speceis are found in Europe and I have him on sort of moist substrate I bought the eco brick of substrate and had one half of the enclosure thin layer and the half is in a like a 3 to 4 inch layer so that way he or she can burrow and hide I put some leaf litter in there also with a little water dish and man was it hungry as soon as it realized the cricket it just gobbled it up great takedown actually it was awesome
We have lots of Pardosa in North America, but I agree with Ungoliant that this looks more like an Agelenid.

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
Oh thank u so much I was wondering hes just been sitting in a corner all night but that's great thank u

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
I put some anchor points for her in the enclosure I mean the enclosure is kind of big but I feel she will use the space I did find that it's a juvenile female cause it's not big enough to b an adult anyways it is definitely a funnel weaver spider it is webbing everywhere so ya not a wolf spider thank u so much for the info I'm still wondering why I found it inside my best guess is that its winter and they cant survive the cold I found out so I probably saved her life put twigs as anchor points and made a little burrow

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I put some anchor points for her in the enclosure I mean the enclosure is kind of big but I feel she will use the space I did find that it's a juvenile female cause it's not big enough to b an adult anyways it is definitely a funnel weaver spider it is webbing everywhere so ya not a wolf spider thank u so much for the info I'm still wondering why I found it inside my best guess is that its winter and they cant survive the cold I found out so I probably saved her life put twigs as anchor points and made a little burrow
They're pretty commonly found indoors in winter. They often web around the perimeters of houses to begin with, and will readily come in through gaps in siding and such when it gets cold.

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
They're pretty commonly found indoors in winter. They often web around the perimeters of houses to begin with, and will readily come in through gaps in siding and such when it gets cold.
When I found her she was on my ceiling and not around any webbing and being very clumsy she wasnt easy to catch she fell on my sweater climbed into the sleeve I grabbed a big plastic tub and kinda gently shook sweater onto the tub and she crawled out of the sleeve and was stuck in the tub and couldn't climb up the sides I'm which i sighed with relief and so I think it was a strange spot to find her I'm sure she was hungry looking for food cause it was just weird and she is way smaller then the other ones I have seen which makes me think shes very young