Need an ID

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Went to the zoo here yesterday and they had this gorgeous snake on display. However there was no name tag, or sign anywhere to identify this beauty, so I'm asking you guys for help.

Here is the only picture I was able to get. I'm sorry I can't offer anything more, especially a headshot, which I'm sure might have been helpful. Hopefully you guys can tell me what it is. :)

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats a difficult one, first glance looked like Aspidites, but I don't see signs of a black or yellow head and scalation and slender tear shaped body definately looks arboreal colubroid! But I think it may be a Boiga irregularis, Northern Territory locality of Brown Tree snake. But without a good look at the head, its hard to tell! The Boiga will have very distinct large eyes with eliptical pupil and short, blunt head. What Zoo was that in?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for giving it a shot. I know it's hard with out a look at it's head. I was hoping it'd move while i was there, but in never did. I don't think it's a aspidites because it's pretty darn slender. My initial thought was a colubrid, it doesn't look like a python to me at all. But I'm really no expert. I googled Boiga irregularis and that seems pretty darn close, so I think you nailed it on that one. :) It was at the Henry Doorly Zoo. I think it's a recent addition, I'm there often and hadn't seen it before now.

I must admit I was rather enthralled by it, I was asking for an ID in hopes I might beable to get one. I guess even if Boiga irregularis isn't correct (though I think it is) it's darn well close enough for me, so I guess the research begins.

Do you know what avalibility is like for B. irregularis? The northern varient anyway. :)

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B irregularis will probably NEVER be attainable in the US since it has been a devastating invasive predator in Guam. That being said, I'm sure a few importers may get a few by chance on accident! They are an absolutely wonderful Boiga, hardy, and that particular locality can be extremely awesome looking, and has all the gusto of a Mangrove! Boiga venom can be medically significant depending upon the species. I have heard reactions to Mangrove(B dendrophilia) venom range from a minor nuisance, to severe swelling, chest pains and nausea. I have owned them in the past and have never had the pleasure of being put in that situation! But most B irregularis are not all that great looking. For more awesome Boiga check out, B cyanea, B jaspidea and B drapiezii. Those are my favs. I just wish they were in the US more often!

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I would agree with toecutter. That really looks like B irregularis.
It’s amazing that the zoo can have one, there banned from the USA completely.
There considered an agricultural hazarded much like african land snails.

One Boiga I would love to see is B saengsomi from southern Thailand.

But sadly only a few specimens have ever been seen and the only one I have heard of in captivity was owned by Merel J Cox. :(

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a nice one! Have either of you guys checked out the Telescopus genus? I want some of those so bad to add to my African colubrid collection! T semiannulatus, T dhara and T nigriceps are freakin fantastic, check them out.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And Ariel, get us some more pics! I would love to see some good head shots and a possible length comparison.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gotta say I'm pretty dissapointed to hear it's not avalible. Oh well, I guess. The search for my next snake continues I suppose. I'll try to get some more/better pictures of it it the next time I'm at the zoo, no promises though.
I love taking pictures of their snakes, I've got some really great pictures of their rattlers. I should probably post them up in my zoo pic thread. lol.