Need advice

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
So last Tuesday I got a P Sazimai sling just over half a cm it was lethargic and died on yesterday. Today I recieved a Holothele Sericea advertised as 1cm the size of the usual slings I buy but again it is only about half a cm if lucky so I’m feeling quite wary about it so here is a picture of the setup and T if I’m doing anything wrong please let me know don’t want this one to suddenly die too.
C49BABC3-7ECA-450A-8C34-C5C3E0E836E1.jpeg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would dampen down half the substrate - right down to the bottom of the enclosure and not just the surface.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It’s freshly mixed coco fibre as the substrate it’s quite damp already will I still water 1 side?
Sorry, I couldn't tell that it was already damp. No, if it is already damp, don't soak it. I would keep 50% of that enclosure damp at all times.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That sling looks like it only just came out of its larvae stage :eek:
Damp substrate, agreed. Beautiful species, but just a heads up, they are FAST. As in, Pokie-fast, Tapinauchenius-fast. And also very skittish, not a fun combination. Mine ran from his food, only to zip right back to it after I blinked once.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
That sling looks like it only just came out of its larvae stage :eek:
Damp substrate, agreed. Beautiful species, but just a heads up, they are FAST. As in, Pokie-fast, Tapinauchenius-fast. And also very skittish, not a fun combination. Mine ran from his food, only to zip right back to it after I blinked once.
Yeah it has already showed some speed at that tiny size I just had to ask because I bought a P Sazimai sling last week the same size and it died on Monday there but it was very lethargic upon delivery and never recovered, but this one seems fine very bolty

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Slings of this species will be tiny, they max out pretty small, my MM got his dong-digits at around 1.5" (if that), can't imagine females get much over 2-2.5". Enclosure looks good, keep the sub damp and it should do fine.

Also, the Holothele sericea (now Scopelobates sericeus) sold in the hobby are not the real deal (another hobby screw up), Scopelobates sericeus has a patch of urticating hairs, this does not, they should be labelled Holothele sp. "Dominican Republic".

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Also, the Holothele sericea (now Scopelobates sericeus) sold in the hobby are not the real deal (another hobby screw up), Scopelobates sericeus has a patch of urticating hairs, this does not, they should be labelled Holothele sp. "Dominican Republic".
So What is it I have lol got it from the spider shop uk they have it labelled as Holothele Sericea but I emailed them and they have said yes it is infact Scopelobates Sericeus

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So What is it I have lol got it from the spider shop uk they have it labelled as Holothele Sericea but I emailed them and they have said yes it is infact Scopelobates Sericeus
It isn't, the species they're selling under that name doesn't have urticating hairs, the real S. sericeus does. Also, as far as I'm aware, the real S. sericeus isn't available in the hobby.

Untitled.png

The spider they're selling as Holothele sericea/Scopelobates sericeus is not a described species and should be labelled Holothele sp. "Dominican Republic".