Need advice on Forest Scorpion substrate

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I would cover your screen top with plexi-glass and leave a small opening for air. All the humidity is escaping thru the screen.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Its a 5 gallon Nano tank, with a cheap plastic LED fish tank hood. I had to hot glue plexi glass over the openings for the filter and feeding holes that were in it. Cost was $20.00 bucks total. The Emperor scorpions I used to raise thrived in 100% humidity and 85' degree temps, they are pretty much the same as the AFS from what i have read.

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
Its a 5 gallon Nano tank, with a cheap plastic LED fish tank hood. I had to hot glue plexi glass over the openings for the filter and feeding holes that were in it. Cost was $20.00 bucks total. The Emperor scorpions I used to raise thrived in 100% humidity and 85' degree temps, they are pretty much the same as the AFS from what i have read.
I'll see how she feels about putting plexiglass over the lid (I'll cut some ventilation holes of course) to help with humidity.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Natural environment. Please note it is covered in wet sandy loam which it buried itself in - the preferred habitat.

The Snark

Old Timer
I wonder about the evolution of scorps sometimes. Eight legged all terrain stability, industrial grade Vice Grips<tm>, meat grinder mouth parts and a venom loaded harpoon? That's over the top.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wonder about the evolution of scorps sometimes. Eight legged all terrain stability, industrial grade Vice Grips<tm>, meat grinder mouth parts and a venom loaded harpoon? That's over the top.
In full ignorance I can't not view those sometimes as mere 'Earth Crustaceans' :troll:

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
This looks more like a torture chamber to me.

Like these?
I'm so glad you have come to this thread with helpful advice. I came here to find a better alternative to corn cob bedding. At least my torture chamber is a better alternative than anything you have proposed since I cannot give it anything like it's natural environment. But instead of trying to be helpful you're here to ridicule.

The Snark

Old Timer
I extend apologies if I caused offense. It was not directed at you.

I work in an environment where arthropods are educational pieces that need to be seen by the public and therefore their comfort is not really taken into consideration.
Do you see the paradox? Education and they must be seen? The living animal's needs and desires are ignored. It's existence and value lower than that of disposable lab animals, in the name of education.

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
I extend apologies if I caused offense. It was not directed at you.

Do you see the paradox? Education and they must be seen? The living animal's needs and desires are ignored. It's existence and value lower than that of disposable lab animals, in the name of education.
My apologies as well since I definitely felt like that was directed at me. I appreciate there are concerns for the animal and I think it is ridiculous that the animals needs do not come first. However, no matter how much I disagree with how things are done at the facility, as a whole it does reach thousands of people each year to teach them on the importance of insects and other arthropods. Everyone who actually deals with the husbandry aspects here does put the animal's needs first as best they can and we try to speak up when a bad idea like corn cob is proposed. As for my boss, she is not a bad person, she just simply is not the one caring for them and since her job is giving presentations that is what comes first in her book.