Need advice on Forest Scorpion substrate

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
So I am in a bind as this is not my scorpion I am needing advice on. I work in an environment where arthropods are educational pieces that need to be seen by the public and therefore their comfort is not really taken into consideration. My boss recently bought corn cob animal bedding and asked me to put a few of our arthropods on it, one of which is our asian forest scorpion. When I brought up the fact that it would probably mold when I watered it she said try it.....two days later there was mold. When I told her this she said not to water it anymore (it does have a water dish). Are there any good light colored substrates I can bring up to her to use because I feel really bad that it has nothing to hide under, no way of burrowing, and now no damp substrate to even sit on plus it has to sit under a light six plus hours a day. Any suggestions?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They hate light. Putting one out in the light without hides is like teaching the average domestic cat to swim. The education is getting that boss up to speed on the needs of animals.
Leaf litter will always do in a pinch. Don't worry about moisture. Right now their native habitat is desert arid until the rains three months down the lane.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Asian forest scorpion need a moist burrowing substrate preferably 3-5" and high humidity .damp and warm is key with a hide. They don't do well in light

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Get a preserved specimen and display that!! Problem solved and eliminates "animal cruelty".

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your replies. Not exactly what I was looking for haha since I understand the needs of the scorpion but do not have a way to appropriately take care of it in my work environment. I completely know and understand that they hate light so I am going to bring up using a black or red light of some sort and as for the substrate issue my friend and I came up with maybe putting coco bark on the bottom and white aquarium gravel on the top so there isn't a mold issue and it can still be seen easily. I am all ears to any other suggestions that would be better.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
To avoid mold use plastic or artificial decor and hides. The substrate should be moist not soaking wet. Just enough to where if you grab a handfull and squeeze just a few drops will come out. (Light brownish reddish color) super wet attracts the mold. Cocofiber is perfect
No need for the gravel

DO NOT USE A BLACK LIGHT (Uv light) it Will cause it super stress. Has to be a non UV ray bulb Infrared is fine or a no light ceramic bulb

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
To avoid mold use plastic or artificial decor and hides. The substrate should be moist not soaking wet. Just enough to where if you grab a handfull and squeeze just a few drops will come out. (Light brownish reddish color) super wet attracts the mold. Cocofiber is perfect
No need for the gravel

DO NOT USE A BLACK LIGHT (Uv light) it Will cause it super stress. Has to be a non UV ray bulb Infrared is fine or a no light ceramic bulb
Thank you for the advice about the black light, I will make sure to use the correct form of lighting. However on the rest of your reply it is a no go. The scorpion was originally on coco fiber and My boss thought it was too dark for people to see it so she bought the corn cob. The corn cob molded because it is animal bedding for hamsters and such, not because I watered it too much. Secondly I can not give it any hides as that would defeat the purpose of having it out on display for the public to see and the gravel is used because it is white and easy to see it in comparison. I did end up putting some peat moss over the top of the gravel and giving it a light colored piece of wood to sit on.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I understand the specimen will for display purposes but that's it's natural substrate. Soil. You can shine a black light on it here and there when people want to see it glow up. But do not leave it permanently on.he has to have a hide IT WILL DIE the stress of not being able to find a dark area hidden will stress it to death (literally) even if it's a simple log or a half log that you can easily be lifted or has an open space for viewing. Neglecting these simple care tips will result in a soon loss

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Do you have a picture of its current setup.
Pet stores use simple half logs for hides. There great for viewing purposes because it's open ended and still provides a cover for the scorp.

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
I promise I have it's best interest at heart. My boss doesn't even care for the peat moss but I told her I thought it was still light colored and good to keep moisture. I have to secure the back pieces of wood better since it's now residing behind one:/

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
That setup actually isn't too bad. Of course it's always naturally going to look for a dark hide away
Use the half log! You can still view it perfectly

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
Thanks:) I wish I could put in a half log but in the very first setup I had a piece of wood tilted at an angle so the scorpion had some darkness and could still be seen but it too was a no go. I'll take a picture of that real quick since I haven't put anything else in it. I love my job but there's definitely some frustrating aspects about it.

Pokiegirl

Arachnopeon
We have all the lights on timers. I've adjusted them so that they don't come on until about 10am and they shut off around 4:30pm.
Lol no number. We have a very small amount of staff workers and I've complained enough about the setups she would know it was me. Also not all of our animals are setup that way, it's just a select few that are out for constant viewing. The rest stay in more ideal setups until they are needed for a presentation.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Here is an example of holding moisture well, The vinyl tubing puts water into the bottom of the tank, you can see it slowly filtering up thru the Organic potting soil. The tank also has a solid lid, with a small venting hole for air and moisture to escape, but still holds the moisture in the tank. These jungle scorps like it really humid, condensation on the tank walls is a good sign of moisture. I see so many jungle species kept to dry. If the humidity is high you never have too mist or spray, it does in naturally thru the air inside the tank. Here is a temporary tank for the AFS I pick up tomorrow, it still needs hides and some fauna but overall is done.