Need advice in changing scorps

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
I am thinking of changing scorps. Need some advice.

I want a small group of communal, not to venomous, active but not aggressive (to me or killing each other), interesting - and about 2,5 – 4 inches (adult) length. And babies would be nice… My experience level is intermediate.

For now I have a pair of Babycurus Gigas. They are currently approx. 3 & 2,5 inches (7,5 & 6,5 cm). Their enclosure is approx. 12x12x8 inches (30x30x20 cm). For now that seems ok, but will it be enough when they become adults?

Now I have finally found a dealer that offers Babycurus Jacksoni 4i and 5i. But… I have read that the risk of cannibalism I higher when they are not adults.

So my question is: Should I go for the Jacksonis (in the 12x12x8 inches enclosure) or will the risk of cannibalism be to high? Or is that enclosure to small for 3 - 4 Jacksonis?

Is there a better option? Perhaps Rhopalurus Garridoi?

Many thanks in advance.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I am thinking of changing scorps. Need some advice.

I want a small group of communal, not to venomous, active but not aggressive (to me or killing each other), interesting - and about 2,5 – 4 inches (adult) length. And babies would be nice… My experience level is intermediate.

For now I have a pair of Babycurus Gigas. They are currently approx. 3 & 2,5 inches (7,5 & 6,5 cm). Their enclosure is approx. 12x12x8 inches (30x30x20 cm). For now that seems ok, but will it be enough when they become adults?

Now I have finally found a dealer that offers Babycurus Jacksoni 4i and 5i. But… I have read that the risk of cannibalism I higher when they are not adults.

So my question is: Should I go for the Jacksonis (in the 12x12x8 inches enclosure) or will the risk of cannibalism be to high? Or is that enclosure to small for 3 - 4 Jacksonis?

Is there a better option? Perhaps Rhopalurus Garridoi?

Many thanks in advance.
R. junceus seems to be a pretty good option that a lot of people have success with. Also, C. gracilis is a good one, as they get about 3.5-4.5 inches long. Both have similar care to the gigas you have. Just so that you know, too, no scorpion species is communal. Some are just more tolerant of others. So in reality, there is no perfect communal species out there for scorps. There is always the risk of cannibalsim. That being said, there are tips to help make it work. Like you said, having adults could help, ample space, etc. Btw, that should be good for B. gigas. I think a colony of B. jacksoni would be amazing, and at 4i-5i you might be all right. Just be careful that even with perfect conditions, it could still go wrong. Think it would be awesome to see though :D

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any Centruroides species would work with what you are looking for although they might be a little smaller then what you described. Centruroides sculpturatus would be a great species for a communal set up, I have a few and they are active, easy to care for, and I've never had any instances of cannibalism. Centruroides gracilis is another good option, they get to be a decent size and are similar to the behavior of C. sculpturatus. I also have 3 immature C. gracilis for sale, if you are interested.

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
WeightedAbyss75 and DreamWeaver8: Big Thanks for Your insightful answers! Much appreciated. I will certainly take what You have written in consideration. Also thanks for the offering of C Gracilis. I have not decided yet, though.:)

Is there anyone who has experience from keeping Rhopalurus Garradoi or Uroplectes Fisheri communally? I read that You could not import the U. Fisheri to the US some years ago. Perhaps that has changed.

Last edited: