Need advice for getting tarantulas into Canada

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i live in detroit, and cross into canada with my ts all the time- albeit they dont know, lol, but it gets done every summer, lol..u could prolly sneak em in...if u do restart ur collection, and sell off what u got, let me know... i may buy one or two off ya...sorry couldnt be more help

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really would not "try" and "sneak" anything. It's not worth the fines that would follow if you were to be caught. Not worth it at all. To give you an idea of how not worth it it is, the money you'd be fined could buy you 10 of every T you could ever want. Fines can be for each individual invert as well.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just move to Texas
Not likely.. Texas just passed a nasty law that I think went into effect immediately that prohibits people from being able to walk/drive on a public road and collect (i.e. hunt) herps like they've done for decades (but yet an exemption was supposedly allowed for falconers).. despite all the loss of revenue Tx will suffer during tourist season as a lot of out of town herpers go to Tx to field herp and photograph. Inverts are not on the list yet, but probably will be soon as most of the herpers are gonna get pulled over by border patrols and stuff and that will be the probably the most common excuse they give... "I was just out looking for spiders and scorps" to avoid getting arrested/ticketed.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=13

May need to scan all 3 pages worth of posts as the Tx fiasco has been a major hot button topic on that particular forum in the past couple months. Apparently the primary bill got shot down, but then a senator or someone managed to sneak it into another bill and allowed to pass unchallenged as no one knew about it until it was way too late. I think even some of it has scrolled off into the archives already.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i live in detroit, and cross into canada with my ts all the time- albeit they dont know, lol, but it gets done every summer, lol..u could prolly sneak em in...if u do restart ur collection, and sell off what u got, let me know... i may buy one or two off ya...sorry couldnt be more help
You are willfully breaking the law of not one but two countries even if you think it is something harmless. It is things like this that start a cascade effect of more restritive laws being put in place that punishes everyone. All it takes is for one or two 'harmless' smugglers to get caught and have a riot started amongst the politicians who think the animals in question are a threat in some manner and start passing all kinds of silly laws that make it harder on those who do try to follow all the legal aspects of pet keeping.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Oshawa:

SECTION 2: Offences and Exemptions
2.1 WILD ANIMALS: Subject to the provisions of section 2.4, it shall constitute an offence
for a PERSON to OWN a WILD ANIMAL within Oshawa.
2.2 EXOTIC ANIMALS: Subject to the provisions of sections 2.3 and 2.4, it shall constitute
an offence for a PERSON to OWN an EXOTIC ANIMAL within Oshawa.

Ajax:

KEEPING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS PROHIBITED
2. a) No person shall, either knowingly or not knowingly, keep
in the urban area of the Town an animal of a class set
out in Schedule 'A' hereto.
b) No person shall, either knowingly or not knowingly, keep
in the rural area of the Town an animal of a class set
out in Schedule 'B' hereto.

SCHEDULE 'A' TO BY-LAW 125-95
Class of Animal Common Name
Set out in this column are some
of the common names of animals
included in the classes of
animals referred to in the
opposite column of this
schedule. The common names are
provided for illustration
purposes only and are not
intended to limit the extent of
the classes of animals referred
to.
Arthropods of the classes of scorpion, spider, centipede,
Arachnid Chilopoda and Diplopoda millipede
Arthropods of the class Insecta beetles
Venomous Reptilia venomous snake, lizard
Serpentes of the families boa, python
Pythonidae and Boidae

Pickering:

PROHIBIT KEEPING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS
2. No person shall, knowingly or not knowingly, keep, in that area of the Town
defined in Schedule A-1 hereto, an animal of a class set out in Schedule A-2
hereto.
3. No person shall, knowingly or not knowingly, keep, in that area of the Town
defined in Schedule B-1 hereto, an animal of a class set out in Schedule B-2
hereto.

Schedule A-2
Item Class of Animal Common Names

3. Arthropods of the scorpion, spider/centipede/
classes Arachnid, millipede
Chilopoda and
Diplopoda

24. Venomous Reptilia venomous snake, lizard
25. Serpentes of the boa, python
families Pythonidae
and Boidae

As far as I know the GTA aka all the cities between Milton and Bowmanville along the 401 all have exotics bans. Now if you go 30 mins North (must be away from the 400 series highways) you will find more lenient bylaws. You will also find down around the "golden horseshoe" (again so long as you are away from the 400 series aka the 403 in this area) that there are some areas with less stringent rulings.

Here's a rough map of what should be ok with exotics and what most likely has a ban on exotics. Banned OK

View attachment 63139

P.S. Mori Whatcha got???
Trevor, thanks for the Clarification on where does and doesn't have bylaws.

Mori.

P.S. C. elegans and L. hesperus :p

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
There's always the suburbs you can move to, I haven't heard of many of them (like Pickering, Ajax, and Whitby on the Eastern side of Toronto)
I didn't know there was a town named after me! A very important place I'm sure{D

-Sean

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my guess is that it will be removed. It was a terroristic attack by some screwball on the legislative process in Texas. Also if you ever got caught, i dont think that it would stand up in court anyway seeing as it was intetionally voted down on its own and was snuck in.

Not likely.. Texas just passed a nasty law that I think went into effect immediately that prohibits people from being able to walk/drive on a public road and collect (i.e. hunt) herps like they've done for decades (but yet an exemption was supposedly allowed for falconers).. despite all the loss of revenue Tx will suffer during tourist season as a lot of out of town herpers go to Tx to field herp and photograph. Inverts are not on the list yet, but probably will be soon as most of the herpers are gonna get pulled over by border patrols and stuff and that will be the probably the most common excuse they give... "I was just out looking for spiders and scorps" to avoid getting arrested/ticketed.

May need to scan all 3 pages worth of posts as the Tx fiasco has been a major hot button topic on that particular forum in the past couple months. Apparently the primary bill got shot down, but then a senator or someone managed to sneak it into another bill and allowed to pass unchallenged as no one knew about it until it was way too late. I think even some of it has scrolled off into the archives already.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just pack them up and take them with you. I am moving to england very soon and england has no rules about importing spiders so I am sure canada is the same you just won't be able to take any thing that is on the CITES list. now it get worse if you are flying planes don't allow spiders on the plane

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just pack them up and take them with you. I am moving to england very soon and england has no rules about importing spiders so I am sure canada is the same you just won't be able to take any thing that is on the CITES list. now it get worse if you are flying planes don't allow spiders on the plane

you still need an export permit to take them out of the USA though.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

As an update to the above, it looks like TX officials are now trying to back peddle and get invertebrates tacked on to the ban list.. even though the law only applied to terrestrial vertebrates. Apparently law enforcement officers are not happy with the sudden rise in "bug collectors" since the new law was passed so they are now trying to target other groups to get revenge on the reptile people for finding a loophole.... how long before they start ticking people for just taking photographs.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1341278,1341278

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just curious the defintion of road is in this law. Is it the road itself or the road and any easement? Or walking along any public land? Do they have to catch you in the act or with a snake stick or something to give them probable cause? Interesting law.....

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just curious the defintion of road is in this law. Is it the road itself or the road and any easement? Or walking along any public land? Do they have to catch you in the act or with a snake stick or something to give them probable cause? Interesting law.....
From what I gathered from some of the conversations.. they (LE) seem to feel that it's the road and shoulder and any land up to a private property fence if there is a fence (and that distance from the road can vary by as much as 30 feet I think).... so even if you pulled well off the road and were on public land on the easement they can still theoretically nail you. I think the LE would have to catch literally in the process of picking something up, but some apparently have been warned (dunno if any have been ticketed yet) just for having the equipment because just having equipment could speak for intent, but if you were on private land hunting and then stopped while driving down the road.. they never saw you catch anything but... whose to say they wouldn't write you up anyway. Very confusing. Too many unanswerable, unenforceable parts to this law that confuses everyone depending on how it's interpreted. LE could also ticket you for so much as pulling off the road to help an animal off the road to keep it from being run over...because the second you go for the animal, your intent is to 'hunt' it even if you don't intend to keep it....and the way the law is worded they could ticket you for running an animal over (because the roads are now designated as "wildlife sanctuaries") ... catch 22 lol.