Need a little help

FayePawtz

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out. I've recently decided I wanted to house my first ever tarantula, she's a Chilean rose hair. I bought her from a pet shop 14 November 2016. When I went to pick her up the guy in the shop told me she was ready to moult as she was spinning a lot of web, and that she was almost 2 years old.

Since I've had her she's been eating fine, but over the last month she hasn't eaten anything, I just assumed that she was getting ready to moult, she had sealed off her hidey hole entrance with a layer of web and then sealing it with substrate. (It looks very good!) a few weeks ago around Christmas she had sealed the back of the hidey hole with a lot of web, a thick layer of web. I got really excited that she was finally going to moult. (What an amazing Christmas present that would be!) Only recently in the last couple of weeks I had noticed this strange ball of white web that's she has been clinging onto and has refused to eat. I did some research and it seems to be an eggsac. However, I don't have time or the money to raise lots of baby tarantulas :( maybe in the future I would love to raise Tarantulas but I can't right now. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do, as I would hate to make my T hate me :(

To add, she has never moulted in my care, I will get in contact with the shop I got her from to see if she has been previously mated.

Attachments

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out. I've recently decided I wanted to house my first ever tarantula, she's a Chilean rose hair. I bought her from a pet shop 14 November 2016. When I went to pick her up the guy in the shop told me she was ready to moult as she was spinning a lot of web, and that she was almost 2 years old.

Since I've had her she's been eating fine, but over the last month she hasn't eaten anything, I just assumed that she was getting ready to moult, she had sealed off her hidey hole entrance with a layer of web and then sealing it with substrate. (It looks very good!) a few weeks ago around Christmas she had sealed the back of the hidey hole with a lot of web, a thick layer of web. I got really excited that she was finally going to moult. (What an amazing Christmas present that would be!) Only recently in the last couple of weeks I had noticed this strange ball of white web that's she has been clinging onto and has refused to eat. I did some research and it seems to be an eggsac. However, I don't have time or the money to raise lots of baby tarantulas :( maybe in the future I would love to raise Tarantulas but I can't right now. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do, as I would hate to make my T hate me :(

To add, she has never moulted in my care, I will get in contact with the shop I got her from to see if she has been previously mated.
Rose hairs are notorious for going on long hunger strikes, so don't worry about that part.

As for the egg sac, keep track of the first time you saw it. Most breeders leave it with the mother for 3-5 weeks, and then pull it out, so you need to know when that window is if you're trying to salvage it. I'm not sure if you can find a breeder nearby to drive it to or if it's possible to ship these things or not. I'll leave that up to those with more experience.

And last, don't worry about your tarantula hating you. They don't even have a proper brain, anatomically speaking. They're really just creatures of instinct, unable to build positive or negative feelings about us over time the way a dog or cat does.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Definitely not 2yrs old. Try not to stress her out. Leave her be until you pull the egg sac. GL with finding someone to take them in.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas have phantom sacs sometimes, so you may have nothing to worry about. def get in contact with the shop though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

She was likely wild caught and mated in the wild. The egg sac might not be a viable one but there is no way to know till it hatches (or doesn't). She will likely not eat anything until you pull the sac or it hatches. @cold blood @louise f can likely give you advice on pulling the sac (when to pull it and how to do so) and setting up an incubator for the eggs. I would suggest selling them in bulk to a larger T seller for whatever you can get for them by placing an ad in the classifieds section. Usually by 2i (they have molted 2 times) they are eating and can easily be shipped.

Best of luck.

cold blood

Staff member
Its certainly a sac, but whether or not its viable is unknown.

You say you dont have the time or money....lol....its momma t that needs the time, you just go about your normal days. Its basically zreo effort for a month....then you pull the sac and put eggs in an incubator (which can be cheaply set up...mine cost $2 to make).

After that all you do is keep the towels in the incubator from drying out. In 30-60 days they will molt....at which point you need to feed them just once....a $3 tub of diced mealworms will suffice....then you either sell them or trade them for another spider or two.

Very easy, not very much cost and in the end youve helped contribute slings to the hobby.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Don't worry too much. The chances of it being fertile are slim. However I would still ask around to see if anyone near you maye take them if they hatch. A local pet store probably wont. You may need to find somone on here that is from same place or near you.

I am in the UK. Where are you?

FayePawtz

Arachnopeon
Don't worry too much. The chances of it being fertile are slim. However I would still ask around to see if anyone near you maye take them if they hatch. A local pet store probably wont. You may need to find somone on here that is from same place or near you.

I am in the UK. Where are you?
I also live in the UK, north London to be exact

FayePawtz

Arachnopeon
Rose hairs are notorious for going on long hunger strikes, so don't worry about that part.

As for the egg sac, keep track of the first time you saw it. Most breeders leave it with the mother for 3-5 weeks, and then pull it out, so you need to know when that window is if you're trying to salvage it. I'm not sure if you can find a breeder nearby to drive it to or if it's possible to ship these things or not. I'll leave that up to those with more experience.

And last, don't worry about your tarantula hating you. They don't even have a proper brain, anatomically speaking. They're really just creatures of instinct, unable to build positive or negative feelings about us over time the way a dog or cat does.
Ok thank you for you help :) I'm still a novice at this I'm always having a little panic when she does something odd.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I also live in the UK, north London to be exact
If you have facebook then I would suggest messaging Spiderman London. I do not know this person personally, though I have heard nothing but good things. Maybe he can take them or point you in the right direction.

I would take them but I am not sure if you would be up to the task of incubating, separating, and posting when ready.

Keep him in mind if it is fertile and they hatch

louise f

Arachnoangel
She was likely wild caught and mated in the wild. The egg sac might not be a viable one but there is no way to know till it hatches (or doesn't). She will likely not eat anything until you pull the sac or it hatches. @cold blood @louise f can likely give you advice on pulling the sac (when to pull it and how to do so) and setting up an incubator for the eggs. I would suggest selling them in bulk to a larger T seller for whatever you can get for them by placing an ad in the classifieds section. Usually by 2i (they have molted 2 times) they are eating and can easily be shipped.

Best of luck.
Sure friend ;) @cold blood already provided with a lot of great info, so I`m just gonna give a link to the making of incubator :) <3

Hope it all helps

FayePawtz

Arachnopeon
If you have facebook then I would suggest messaging Spiderman London. I do not know this person personally, though I have heard nothing but good things. Maybe he can take them or point you in the right direction.

I would take them but I am not sure if you would be up to the task of incubating, separating, and posting when ready.

Keep him in mind if it is fertile and they hatch
Thank you for your help :) I think it's been about 2 weeks since I first noticed it, I will leave it a couple more weeks to see she if she abandons it. I will keep Spider-Man London in mind.

FayePawtz

Arachnopeon
I am glad to say, that I removed the eggsac yesterday evening and there wasn't even 1 bad egg :) i am now incubating them. Thank you so much for all your help :) I'm pretty sure My T is a very proud mummy :). Couldn't have done this with out everybodies help. :)