Need a little help

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do I get rid of ants?!?! Found little black ants in my P.cambridgei and C.schioedtei, and to make it worse my C.schioedtei just molted either last night or early today. I cleaned both tanks and added fresh cork bark and new sub, and I am still finding a few. Opinions?

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats the thing, they only seem to be in my room, and I can't figure out why, or where they are coming from exactly.

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
How do I get rid of ants?!?! Found little black ants in my P.cambridgei and C.schioedtei, and to make it worse my C.schioedtei just molted either last night or early today. I cleaned both tanks and added fresh cork bark and new sub, and I am still finding a few. Opinions?
Safely? you can do what i did and got raid and traps that has there food they'd normally eat in it, and put them in the high traffic areas where you see a lot of them. i had an ant problem like you but they didn't get in the cages. i didn't want to risk it so i bought them and i haven't see one since.
the traps i use they'll take bits of it back to the colony and it will slowly kill off the colony because they will eat it gradually, so that's my suggestion.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
I'd personally recomend setting up an "anti-ant shelf" and then try to find the colony and eradicate it. The intstructions for the anti ant shelf are found both here on the boards and in the TKG. As for the oil it recomends, just a piece of advice i found useful is to combine how most ants hate cinnamon and can't cross oils easily. Go to your nearest.... Adult novelty store, and find cinnamon massage oils. It's mineral oil like that is recomended in the guide, but also harbors the repellant of cinnamon. As for eradication, if you live in the country, get a couple chickens, they are ant seeking missiles. In the city, try everything but poisons like raid, because if your T's eat a raid ant your putting the toxins into your T's. Just my advice and two cents.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought of trying this stuff called ant-terro, its a liquid you put on a paper and when they eat it they die, my only worry is if an ant goes into the cage with it, granted I have never really seen them make it more then a couple inchs after eating. As for the T eating the ant? I'm not so worried about that, the ants are only in my larger aboreal enclosures, and each spider is over 6", don't see them to interested in ants. :)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hope you get rid of them. I've heard of ants carrying away tarantulas, piece by piece, out of the tank's ventilations. :eek:

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not sure what you have your enclosures on, but I had a similar problem when we had a lot of rain it drove the ants inside. Lost a few T's and got upset my wife had the great idea of putting bowls of water underneath the base of each leg of my T stand. kept the ants away and allowed me to eradicate them while my T's remained safe. hope this helps.