Natural Habitat for H. pulchripes?

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
All I can find is they are from S. Africa. I want to replicate there habitat as natural as I can. My once sling is now big enough for a larger enclosure, and the 2 I received off craigslist are in nice exoterra 12x12x12, but the enclosure looks so boring. I want to spice things up! Does anyone know anything about exactly where they are from?

Depending what plants are needed will decide if I will go live plants of fake plants. I really don't want to put much light on my T's at all.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
All I can find is they are from S. Africa. I want to replicate there habitat as natural as I can. My once sling is now big enough for a larger enclosure, and the 2 I received off craigslist are in nice exoterra 12x12x12, but the enclosure looks so boring. I want to spice things up! Does anyone know anything about exactly where they are from?

Depending what plants are needed will decide if I will go live plants of fake plants. I really don't want to put much light on my T's at all.
Yes, I do. This part of South Africa is flat, mainly bare soils with some dry turfs. And H. pulchripes burrows, so it will only make a small hole in the middle of nothing and it is all. Check Google maps Street View, GPS -30.8228269, 24.5067736, look around :) I have it in 50cmx35cm, substrate from 5 to 18cm, I used "soft" peat with Lignocel (coco) for the bottom (5-10cm) and about 5cm of soil and 3-4 small grass/turf on the top. Looks similar like from the GPS :)

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
So it looks like dirt with some grass turfs... Shouldn't be hard to replicate. Thanks

Dirt with some grass. Should be hard to recreate. Wonder where I could find the yellowish looking dirt?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
So it looks like dirt with some grass turfs... Shouldn't be hard to replicate. Thanks

Dirt with some grass. Should be hard to recreate. Wonder where I could find the yellowish looking dirt?
I used normal grey dirt, not all south Africa is yellowish and there is a bigger T contrast to ground, but you could use some kind of a clay. It is hard when dry but you can crush it to powder, dredge (is it good word??) the dirt with it and use a bit of watter (spray), it will make something like yellowish crust and underground will stay soft for burowing.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I used normal grey dirt, not all south Africa is yellowish and there is a bigger T contrast to ground, but you could use some kind of a clay. It is hard when dry but you can crush it to powder, dredge (is it good word??) the dirt with it and use a bit of watter (spray), it will make something like yellowish crust and underground will stay soft for burowing.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with clay. I'm trying to figure out where I can get some here on coastal GA. Its all sand here. I don't want to use sand at all cause it would be terrible for burrowing in.

I went to hobby lobby today and walked through there floral section. They had everything there to recreate anything I wanted. I wanted to buy some fake monkey grass. I think that would be perfect, but it was pretty tall. I found some smaller bushy looking things that will look great! I even found some stems with huge leafs on them that I might use in my dart frog tanks. I hate to put fake plants in those but these look so real and they wont overgrow the tank. After walking through hobby lobby. I'm wondering what I can do with all my tarantulas.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with clay. I'm trying to figure out where I can get some here on coastal GA. Its all sand here. I don't want to use sand at all cause it would be terrible for burrowing in.

I went to hobby lobby today and walked through there floral section. They had everything there to recreate anything I wanted. I wanted to buy some fake monkey grass. I think that would be perfect, but it was pretty tall. I found some smaller bushy looking things that will look great! I even found some stems with huge leafs on them that I might use in my dart frog tanks. I hate to put fake plants in those but these look so real and they wont overgrow the tank. After walking through hobby lobby. I'm wondering what I can do with all my tarantulas.
But back to you - do not use sand. I would recommand to mix peat and Lignocel. It can be bought in petstores without problems. Use it up to 80 % of substrate height. Then get some small turfs from normal lawn. Take several pieces, each about 3-10cm in diameter, 2cm of soil/ground. Put it on substrate and fill the gaps between turfs with the rest of substrate. If grass will be dry(like hay), you can shorten in with your fingers, no problem. Then use clay dust. But no water yet. Now you can take something like skewr ot toothpick and comb the grass up. Then use watter spray. If you will want, you can take sciccors from manicure set and take some culms away, you will see what you like. Or, it is possible some culms add, so the turfs will be densier. It will not grow, I do not think it should be green, at South Africa is grass green only sometimes during wet times, but the main is dry grass with bare soil. And also I do not want green grass, it is rather for different T, not H. pulchripes, which need dry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I appreciate the tip on the Lignocel. I'm trying to think of a good way to grind it up to mix it with my cocofiber. I think that will help a lot with the color I am looking for. After that I am just going to use fake plants. They look real enough and being that H. pulchripes like it dry. I don't want to worry about watering anything other then the water dish.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the tip on the Lignocel. I'm trying to think of a good way to grind it up to mix it with my cocofiber. I think that will help a lot with the color I am looking for. After that I am just going to use fake plants. They look real enough and being that H. pulchripes like it dry. I don't want to worry about watering anything other then the water dish.
I would like to ask you for photo when you will have done it.

Good luck, you will manage it. And do not forget to send/paste the picture :)