Native uk amphibians?

The wolf

Arachnolord
Where i live we get quite a range of amphibians,frogs,toads,smooth and great crested newts i was thinking wether you could keep any of these i know great crested newts are very strongly protected so would any of these even be legal to keep and if so how and how interesting would a toad be or a newt im sure a frog would be fun to watch though sadly its the wring time for tadpoles.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Depends on what you mean by interesting, that's a question of personal preference. I personally love any kind of amphibian, but be aware that toads spend most of their time sitting in one place (not sure about natterjack toads, those might be more active but honestly, probably not). Newts I'm not sure, but my salamanders are not particularly active animals. I don't know about frogs. Toads and newts are great at feeding time, though.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Legal aspect: All native UK amphibians are protected species. In Europe, it is usually possible to keep protected species, but it is quite difficult, permission and registration are needed and exemplars have to already come from captive bred.

Moral aspect: All newts are endangered so forget about them. Also, don’t take any mature frogs and toads from nature. At locality with plenty of tadpoles it is quite ok to take few of them. (from ecological and moral view, but it is still illegal and I do not recommend that)

It is basically bad idea. There are so many exotic amphibians in hobby, for example Cynops orientalis and Bombina orientalis are great. :)

Last edited: