Naming

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got 3 new T's. You already know my B. smithi. Additionally i got a T. blondi and a P. irminia sling. Any ideas for names?

BullF-16

Arachnopeon
I've found sometimes its good to wait a while and observe the T's personality and actions, that sometime aids creativity in coming up with ideas.

Last edited:

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally, I name all my T's (all my pets in general) after characters in Shakespeare plays. <It all started when Inuleki named his brother's Iguana "Horatio."> Our cats are "Oberon" and "Dimitrius." My first T, my insane Rosea, is "Ophelia"; unless she molts, and turns out to be a male, then it's "Hamlet". My new slings are yet to be named until they are a bit bigger. :D

Yah, I'm odd.......And?

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Due to the fact that I love Shakespeare plays that's kind of great idea. Thanks

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uhh.... I stopped naming mine after the 10th one or so. Too much trouble remember them. I just remember them individually by their looks now.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After I got more than 8 tarantulas I compeltely stopped naming them. Now I just refer to them by their latin names

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I give mine names relevant to their country of origin.

Brachypelma albopilosum - (Honduras, which is Hispanic) - Miguel
Pterinochilus murinus - Africa - Idi
Pterinochilus sp. "Usambara" - Africa - Mugabe
Grammostola rosea - Chile - Pepper (chosen by the girlfriend ;))

I have a versicolor arriving this week. Well, they come from Martinique Island, which is under French rule, so he'll be getting a French name I suppose.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got 1.... and her name is Nova :D shes a A. Geniculata. because shes got white dots, i was thinking night?sky?star? then nova popped into my head so shes now that ^_^

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Get a thesaurus. You'd be amazed how helpful it can be.. say you have a "Cobalt blue"...

indigo, sapphire, turquoise, lapis lazuli, aquamarine, azure, sky, prussian, royal, navy, powder, baby, cobalt, livid, electric, melancholy and so on.

I use mine often when naming pets. Or looking for a suitable adjective for my children!!!:D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I just ask my daughter for help. She makes up a name, then together we will fit it to the correct T. Or, she will look at a T and then name it
Hence, we have names like: Stinky Funeral, Cadashio (that's the tigerrump male going to Atrax), Mrs Fooklabooshay, Rishda, Zuri, Aloura, Zia, Morax.... etc
OTOH, I tend to name them either from the country of origin, or because I've seen the word somewhere and I like it:
Zhizhu, Zindzhi, Amon Ra, Artemis, Maleficent, Tristania, Helloween, etc....

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
=D Oh that is SO funny!!! =D
My boys, 8 and 12, would want to name every one 'Farthead" or something since that is their current funny thing!

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a thesaurus. You'd be amazed how helpful it can be.. say you have a "Cobalt blue"...
LOL. I'm caught. I did it. My h. lividum's name is Azure. DOH! It does help, though.

But like Jacen and lam said; I quit after after just 4. On top of my Ts, I have scorps as well. Soon to be a chinchilla and 2 dwarf hamsters.

To Add:
In naming my four...wait no I named five. I have a p. murinus, b. albo, h. lividum, A. seemani, and P. irminia (the rest are unnamed). My Usambara Baboon is named Monkey...Baboon/Monkey. My B. albo was sold as a chilean rose (dorks). So her name is Rose. My h. lividum, which we already discussed, was named Azure. I didn't resort to a thesarus because I have a walking, talking thesorus that would visit continually...it was his idea. P. Irminia was named Pogo because the fartnugget jumped onto my head the first time I handled it, and last but not least...Jane Doe...because when I bought her it took this forum and I forever to determine what she was.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. Okay this is what I get for not reading all of the posts.

My boys, 8 and 12, would want to name every one 'Farthead" or something since that is their current funny thing!
I just degraded my self to have the descriptive vocabulary of an 8 or 12 year old. What can I say...old habits die hard.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I dont plan on owning 30 tarantulas or 15 or 10 or 1000. Id like to think that I can stop at 5. My taranulas names have been (feel free to 'barrow' one.

For my B.Smithi, her name is Scarlet O'Hairy. Obviously I named her that cuz scarlet is red and shes hairy. ;) Then my Rose is named Rose. :rolleyes: and my A.Avic is Tiny.

My deceased male Rose hair was Harrison, and my deceased female A.Avic was Hiorshi.

I would suggest a color themed name for the Smithi, and the Goliath. Something like Fire, Flame, Hinote (Japanese for fire), Red, and for the goliath, something like Cookie :)

Good luck though w/the names and let us know what u come up w/.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My opinion is that names are more for animals that might actually learn them and respond to them. I occasionally do hang a "title" on a tarantula if something really jumps out at me, but otherwise it's "this is my B. smithi, and this is my other B. smithi".