Naming your T's!

ao4649

Arachnopeon
Do you give your tarantulas names? Why or why not? It seems uncommon in the hobby.

Bonus: if so, list them! I think it's cute to see how others name their pets.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I name every animal I can keep track of. There are going to be people who will post on this thread and talk about how naming makes you irresponsible, and you're better off spending your time learning about husbandry techniques, but in the end they're your pets! I name my animals to keep track of them as well. It's more fun than numbers!

As for names go:
MM A. chalcodes "Joseph" (He's on his last legs. I don't think he'll last too much longer.)
Large sling/juvenile female B. albopilosum "Sierra"

I know I just said I name all my T's, but the rest of my (rather small) collection is made up of either slings or individuals of indeterminate sex. I don't have any duplicate species, so the unnamed individuals get called by their species name. "Vagans needs to be fed today." "Versicolor needs a water dish refill." It works for now. They'll eventually get named. ;)

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I name everything. :p
Aphonopelma hentzi~Mondo
Aphonopelma anax ~ Nestly

2-Avicularia avicularia~Urchin~Kodama
Avicularia versicolor~Kalipso
Brachypelma albopilosum~Zombie
Brachypelma vagans ~Singe
2-Grammostola porteri~Yeti & Karma
Grammostola pulchripes~Auric
Grammostola rosea~Blush
Hapalopus sp Colombia~Goblin
Lasiodora parahybana~LaSombra
Nhandu chromatus~Ghoul
Omothymus violaceopes-~Kuala
Psalmopoeus cambridgei~Tyke
Thrixopelma ockerti~Amala

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Now this was an instant where a search would have been nice...heck at the bottom of this vary page there are links to 2 threads of the same basic name and content....I couldn't even guess how many times this thread is re created...seems like every few weeks....just had one a week or so ago in fact....it went well:meh:

I don't name, but everybody's different.

Last edited:

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
I don't name mine I've had bad luck with any exotic animal I've ever named. I call my spiders by their scientific names just cause it works. I have nothing against naming them I just don't.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I name everything. I once had a monkey cookie jar named Humphrey J. Shenanigans, my Kitchen Aid stand mixer is named Snowball. So yes, living things in my care get named. Then again, I'm one of those crazy people who occasionally dresses up her cats in baby clothes. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

ao4649

Arachnopeon
I name every animal I can keep track of. There are going to be people who will post on this thread and talk about how naming makes you irresponsible, and you're better off spending your time learning about husbandry techniques, but in the end they're your pets! I name my animals to keep track of them as well. It's more fun than numbers!
that's surprising! i'd think it'd be better for care because it helps as a reminder that they're living creatures? but that's just me, really-- i see them much the same as i do my cats, abiet with a more hands-off approach.

Now this was an instant where a search would have been nice...heck at the bottom of this vary page there are links to 2 threads of the same basic name and content....I couldn't even guess how many times this thread is re created...seems like every few weeks....just had one a week or so ago in fact....it went well:meh:

I don't name, but everybody's different.
i mean people do complain about posting in or reviving old threads, too, so i don't really see the harm in making my own. i don't think there's a winning protocol there unless it were something more important (like, per se, a bite report thread).

SilverTycho

Arachnosquire
Yes, I name all my animals except my roaches. I still refer to them by their scientific name for people who aren't familiar with tarantulas, though.

B. albopilosum - Gemini
B. albiceps - Josef
B. smithi - Berta
B. emilia - Lava
G. rosea - Zelda
G. rosea RCF - Rainbow
C. cyaneopubescens - Zeta
G. iheringi - Rouge
Phormictopus sp green - Peridot
P. sazimai - Topaz
B. cabocla - Nova
M. balfouri - Sapphire
A. chalcodes - Zabu
Homoeomma sp blue - Slate

Coming on Tuesday:
Euathlus sp red - Kerrigan
C. leetzi - Star

ao4649

Arachnopeon
These are all such beautiful names! Everyone has such lovely collections.

Mine's rather small, but:
B. Smithi - Butterscotch (my Boy insists on calling him Ghoul, however)
G. Pulchripes - Toffee
L. Parahybana - Peach
H. Columbia - Nutmeg

He/she (Sorry, I'm not familiar with your gender) has a point there...
They/Them is fine. Thank you for asking!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
that's surprising! i'd think it'd be better for care because it helps as a reminder that they're living creatures? but that's just me, really-- i see them much the same as i do my cats, albiet with a more hands-off approach.
That might be where the disconnect is. Most people on here don't see them as "pets"... at least, not on the same level as a cat or a dog. Look up the cognitive abilities of tarantulas and you'll see why. They'll never know you even exist. Not to mention, many users have literally hundreds of specimens. That gets cumbersome very quickly.

ao4649

Arachnopeon
If I never see another thread like this on the boards it will still be too soon...
golly, who dropped hairs in your undies?

That might be where the disconnect is. Most people on here don't see them as "pets"... at least, not on the same level as a cat or a dog. Look up the cognitive abilities of tarantulas and you'll see why. They'll never know you even exist. Not to mention, many users have literally hundreds of specimens. That gets cumbersome very quickly.
ooh, yes, that would make sense! I can't imagine coming up with 100+ names. Though as far as cognitive abilities go, I don't view that as too relevant (personally)-- after all, people do view fish as pets. I could see where it may cause a problem if someone were to, say, assume too much of their tarantula, though-- ie, thinking they 'like' to be prodded, petted, or handled. I think there's a word for that in the herp community? Anthromorphising? Something like that.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
If I never see another thread like this on the boards it will still be too soon...
I can see where you're coming from but, at the same time, you don't have to read the thread. Yeah, its one of those topics that can get tiresome, but the OP did have a point...sometimes if you resurrect an old thread you'll get bitched at but if you start a new one with the same subject you'll also get bitched at. Sort of a catch-22.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Absolutly!!!
Wifey names all of mine :)

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bonus: if so, list them! I think it's cute to see how others name their pets.
You asked for it...

A versicolor - vinny
Gbb - Webster
A genic - princess lily butt
A chalcodes - ShyFloyd
A hentzi - whitey
G pulchripes - Rhonda
P regalis - Rufus
P CambridgeI - lil G
P irminia - Isabella and trudie
B albopilosum - Larry and curly
B vagans - Thelma
C schioedtei - Charlemagne
P rufilata - rakshasa
G rosea - angry
Avic avic - boom shakwitah
B boehmei - consuela
E uatuman - booger
P pulcher - meegan
M balfouri - Norbert
B smithi - Owen
E pachypus - Platty
Hapolopus sp large - mr patches
Obt - orangina
N chromatus - Cheryl
C darlingi - darling
I Mira - amale
H incei - bumbles
A enzendami - dezzie
E olivacea - olive
H himalayana - shimmie
M cabocla - Macarena
P metallica - Lars
P brachyramosa - bratty
P striata - sheva
A diversipes - danger
A pupurea - granddaddy purple
C ritae - stimpleton
P subfusca (highland) - McCloud

I think I got them all... Hopefull I didn't forget anyone!!

I'll admit, it's gotten way out of hand lol

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I can see where you're coming from but, at the same time, you don't have to read the thread. Yeah, its one of those topics that can get tiresome, but the OP did have a point...sometimes if you resurrect an old thread you'll get bitched at but if you start a new one with the same subject you'll also get bitched at. Sort of a catch-22.
Posting in a thread thats 3-4 days old isn't necromancy or the one thats 6 days old or 7 or 8...or the four from last week or the 9 from the previous 2 weeks...

It seems like the first thread I see when I log in has something to do with naming Tarantulas lately.

It boggles my mind that most of the people getting into or expanding in this hobby are posting about pet names instead of more interesting topics..

Back in 94 when I got into T's I wished I had a site like this to ask questions and get reliable info or talk with a multitude of people about quirky tarantula behaviours.. I had to dig through the back pages of fauna magazine and call up invert guys (Botar mainly) for most of my questions or just to talk with another cool person that loved Tarantulas...It just seems like we are misusing a good resorce here Thats all...

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Fair point, but I think there are still quite a few topics on this board that are pretty in depth and cover lots of great areas of interest regarding different species and genus. I just don't really see the point of getting too worked up (not that you are) about something like this as long as it doesn't interfere with the OP learning other things as well (natural habitat, husbandry, etc). Seems somewhat harmless to me and isn't in any way directly taking away from other, more scientific or keeping-focused posts. Remember, this is Tarantula Chat....its there for a reason.