Name your freebie.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've received a Brachypelma boehmei, a Grammostola quirogai, a Tapinauchenius violaceus and a tiny Avicularia avicularia as freebies. I thought the boehmei was fun, despite all the hair kicking, but gave him to a friend who became fascinated with the little guy. I had never heard of the T. violaceus before it arrived, but it didn't survive shipping so I don't really know how that would have gone. I like the A. avic well enough, but my wife loves him and calls him Boots.

The quirogai is fantastic though. She (hoping) is about 2.5 inches DLS and has been with me almost a year. I've loved seeing all the little behaviors other keepers have spoken about, like playing tug-of-war with the water dish. Definitely one of my favorites, but there wasn't really a time when I had no interest in keeping her so I don't think it really fits the question.

I think the T that best fits that description has been my Nhandu chromatus. I picked him up because the adults look similar to A. geniculata, which I wasn't able to find for sale at the time. I was pretty disappointed because I love genics, and he was the closest I could find. He very quickly became one of my favorites. Lots of burrowing and rearranging his enclosure, excellent feeding response, and he's almost always out on display. Additionally, he arrived at 1/4 inch and has grown to about 2 inches in 11 months. My wife says he's "creepy," but I think he's absolutely awesome. He just wasn't free.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I've received a Brachypelma boehmei, a Grammostola quirogai, a Tapinauchenius violaceus and a tiny Avicularia avicularia as freebies. I thought the boehmei was fun, despite all the hair kicking, but gave him to a friend who became fascinated with the little guy. I had never heard of the T. violaceus before it arrived, but it didn't survive shipping so I don't really know how that would have gone. I like the A. avic well enough, but my wife loves him and calls him Boots.

The quirogai is fantastic though. She (hoping) is about 2.5 inches DLS and has been with me almost a year. I've loved seeing all the little behaviors other keepers have spoken about, like playing tug-of-war with the water dish. Definitely one of my favorites, but there wasn't really a time when I had no interest in keeping her so I don't think it really fits the question.

I think the T that best fits that description has been my Nhandu chromatus. I picked him up because the adults look similar to A. geniculata, which I wasn't able to find for sale at the time. I was pretty disappointed because I love genics, and he was the closest I could find. He very quickly became one of my favorites. Lots of burrowing and rearranging his enclosure, excellent feeding response, and he's almost always out on display. Additionally, he arrived at 1/4 inch and has grown to about 2 inches in 11 months. My wife says he's "creepy," but I think he's absolutely awesome. He just wasn't free.
I looked at your post like "He received a freebie, we received his life story?!"....but it was a good read LOL!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Orphnaecus sp. 'Cebu'

I got this species as a freebie in 2017 at a time when I was debating or not to get my first OW or not. The seller made the decision for me apparently. it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sadly he passed without finding a lady early this year. He was the heaviest webber of my collection. That species wasn't my first choice for a first OW, but I'm glad I got to raise my specimen.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I haven't, but I only order from places that have me pick one. I'm kinda jealous of you all getting ones you didn't want or weren't expecting lol. Unless I got an OBT or other OW like that. I wouldn't be happy with that.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Lol, I thought this was about us "naming a species" and you giving it to us free. :rofl:
You and I both wish there were that many spiders in my house.

I haven't, but I only order from places that have me pick one. I'm kinda jealous of you all getting ones you didn't want or weren't expecting lol. Unless I got an OBT or other OW like that. I wouldn't be happy with that.
I think that most places base it on your order.
At least I hope so.
I love surprises, though.

Picking them is weird.
If you actually want to give me one then do it. Otherwise, it is a sales tactic.

Last edited by a moderator:

jay5597

Arachnopeon
I recived a Xenesthis. immanis sling as freebie from ordering a Xenesthis. intermedia sling.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I have 9 tarantulas, 6 of them were freebies.
My freebies are:
- 2 P. Cambridgei - I wouldn't buy one as I'm quite new to the hobby, but I immediately fell in love, when I got the first one in April. He hides when I'm doing maintenance, but he's out a lot. The second one is more confrontational, it will be a challenge.
- 2 N. Incei - I wasn't interested in small Ts so I've never considered getting one, but I like how much webbing they do.
- C. Elegans - another small T in my big spiders' collection, but I like how determined hunter this little guy is.
- N. Chromatus - he's just a tiny, colorless sling for now, but at least he is always out.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have 9 tarantulas, 6 of them were freebies.
My freebies are:
- 2 P. Cambridgei - I wouldn't buy one as I'm quite new to the hobby, but I immediately fell in love, when I got the first one in April. He hides when I'm doing maintenance, but he's out a lot. The second one is more confrontational, it will be a challenge.
- 2 N. Incei - I wasn't interested in small Ts so I've never considered getting one, but I like how much webbing they do.
- C. Elegans - another small T in my big spiders' collection, but I like how determined hunter this little guy is.
- N. Chromatus - he's just a tiny, colorless sling for now, but at least he is always out.
Not really a freebie but I got a P.Cambridgei because there was a 5 for 100$ (or something I can not remember the price) I picked 4 different species that I all wanted...but nothing else on the list was one that I was aiming to get. I did not want a double so I decided on it to have something different. The baby is adorable. I am happy with my choice.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I received a P.cam with one of my recent online orders. I instantly fell in love with it. It made a cool looking web tube that runs horizontal rather than vertical more like a web awning with the Cork bark I provided, first time seeing an arboreal tarantula do this and talk about a great eater.

This is the best photo I was able to get during feeding time as they are just too fast to grab and dissapear.

Attachments