Name your freebie.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Have you ever gotten a species as a freebie that you had no interest in and ended up loving it?

Alternately, have you ever received a nightmare?

My C. marshalli wasn't on my list but she takes my cake.
20200802_065346.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I've gotten a lot of freebies and some of them I can't remember if I've ever bought some them or got them free. These are in no particular order, but the best freebies I enjoyed were my two Crassicrus sp. "Guerrero" that I've gotten free from an over $500 purchase a while ago. Also, I've gotten some S. calceatum for free that was enjoyable to care for. I don't remember some of the freebies I've gotten as I have multiples of a lot species, so I can't say.

Nightmare freebies are the species that I've owned too many of or freebies that I don't like. An example is A. avics and T. albo's as freebies. While I don't despise them, I've raised a few A. avics already and I already own around 30(?) T. albo's currently, so having more would be a pain.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Haven't had many freebies but all the ones I've had were species I'm already keeping. Still nice to get a freebie though.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have a few LP's (4) as freebies. It is more than I want since I really like having one of each species and they get big. I don't mind them and I would have wanted one eventually.

I might end up selling a couple once they are larger, but tbh, raising babies from this size does get me a bit attached.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
T. Albo and c. Elegans are both I got as freebies and are really enjoying. I was very close to telling him not to send the T. Albo. Has lots of personality and their look is growing on me.
I always like C. Elegans but wasn’t Into the micro slings and super dwarf adults. Now I have two and hope to breed them. I learned the trick with Elegans is to be very careful how you house it. Too big or deep an enclosure and you never see them.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Or maybe the question is how many freebies you have received but never checked the box before throwing it out. 😂

Has anyone who has gotten a freebie gotten something that was way out of their comfort/skill level, or did you get to select what freebie you got?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The best freebie I got was my M. robustum

Absolutley AMAZING spider, thst checks all the boxes.

One of the prettiest spiders!
Great eater!
Great behavior!
Large Size!

What more can you want?!

I've said it before....I don't know how it's not one of the most popular spiders in the hobby!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
In Australia we arent kind enough to give people freebies :devil:

Nah lol, alot of private sellers give you free stuff but alot of the time you have interest in them prior

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Or maybe the question is how many freebies you have received but never checked the box before throwing it out. 😂

Has anyone who has gotten a freebie gotten something that was way out of their comfort/skill level, or did you get to select what freebie you got?
I always check the box, never through an animal in the garbage- that’s disgusting.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Chilobrachys huahini - Thought I'd hate it but ended up getting more Asian species off the back of it.

Has anyone who has gotten a freebie gotten something that was way out of their comfort/skill level
I got sent the previously mentioned C. huahini as a surprise freebie with a B. emilia juvie after only 4 months in the hobby (I hadn't planned to get any OW species until I'd been keeping for at least a year).

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
H. himalayana, never even remotely considered one, but wound up really appreciating the species. She was also the catalyst of my unfounded apathy toward fossorials.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hysterocrates laticeps. I never wanted to deal with a moisture dependent fossorial species, but I was blown away on how fast this girl grew (was 5" in less than a year) and how active she is. She is almost always at the entrance of her burow and is a fantastic eater. I'm hooked.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I received a free C hati hati sling once. It was very cute but I was like nah that's cool and gave it to a friend who was interested in only OW.

It came in a straw, fortunately, so I cut a tiny square flap in top of the deli cup I was housing it in and transferred it via airlock.

No thank you sir.

Edit: On the other hand, I received a freebie OBT I wasn't expecting and I absolutely adore it. It's not the monster it was built up to be. It's very reclusive, and it did bolt when I rehoused it, but I was ready for that, and it went fine. A+ fantastic spider. Would spide again.

Last edited:

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Only freebie I’ve gotten was a G. Iheringi. Was already interested in one so it made it even better when I spent enough to pick up one “for free.” Outstanding Ts. Crazy feeding response, fast growth rate and always out in the open.