Name That T!!!!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
NAME THAT TARANTULA!
That’s right ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for Terri’s weekly game show, “What Did I Buy This Weekend?” While I DO have specific species on my wish list, I am STILL a sucker for that cute little spider on the bottom shelf marked, “Big Fuzzy Tarantula, $14.99” Well, I did it TWICE this weekend.

Mystery T#1: Is the spitting image of my Big Orange Bitey Thing but a lovely tannish brown color. Label on the cup: “Starburst” $14.99

Mystery T #2: APPEARS to be a brown (vs. black) aphonopelma seemani but I’ve never heard of them called this. Label on the cup: “Stripeknee” $15.99

Mystery T #3: Cupid was picked up in Vegas after my wedding and STILL not sure about her. She appears to be an aphonopelma, flicks hairs and just molted this weekend so I could see her true colors.
Aphonopelma moderatum: Brown tarsus, brown metatarsus, red tibia, brown patella, brown femur. The carapace and opisthoma are reddish brown, althought the opisthoma SKIN looks to be black
Aphonopelma “cupid”: Black tarsus, black metatarsus, tan tibia, tan patella, black femur. The carapace and opisthoma are tan, althought the opisthoma SKIN looks to be black. The “tan” in this case is pinkish-blondish.

I’m going to TRY to get pics tonight. Whoever is the most assistance to me is PROMISED two a. avics from last week’s mating of my manly “Bob” and Kelli Hs girls.

STRANGE NOTE: While purchasing the mystery Ts, I got my son an African Black Giant Millipede. He put it in it’s enclosure before he went to bed (Or so he thought)... we woke up to find millie and the “Starburst” all cozied up in the burrow!!! Both are fine and THANK GOD we de-mited millie before I allowed it in the house. I would have thought one or the other would have succumbed to the enemy’s venom, but they were nice and cozy! Boy would THAT be a cross-breeding nightmare!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
MizM,

Mystery number one is likely a Togo Starburst (Heteroscodra maculata).

Mystery number two is quite possibly an A.seemani. They vary a fair bit in colour, especially when you consider factors like the duration of the current intermoult.

Mystery number three doesn't strike me as anything, but I'll admit I'm having problems with visualization.

Cheers,
Dave

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen several light colored seemani labelled as 'blonde zebra leg' or 'blonde stripe leg' etc.

Rav

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I would agree with skinheaddave on #1 as being a Togo Starburst also named Ornamental Baboon (H. Maculata)

#2 being yes a Zebra or Stripe Knee which is what I have seen it called at all the petstores around here.

and #3 i am not sure about...

But 1 and 2 i am pretty familiar with because I have either seen them in petstores or have thought of buying one of them.

Anyways good luck with the new T's and also the unlikely lovers u have there (Milli and Starburst :) )

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THREE WINNERS!
TheDon
Skinheaddave
Ravnos

I did the research... you're all right about #1 and #2. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Send your address to terridumonte@netscape.net and I will mail your little a. avic slings just as soon as they arrive. It could be about a year since the mate just occured, but I WILL DO AS PROMISED!!!=D

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
wow for real... we get a tarantula Sling for answering? I was just doing it because I like to help but what the heck I would love a new Tarantula!! thnx

I will send u an email right now thnx

TheDon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:) YES, SERIOUSLY:)

But keep in mind, they JUST mated!

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it too late to answer #3 cause if not I was thinking I dont know why that sounds Like an A.chalcodes Male possibly ???? Sorry kinda new at this :)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mystery T#1: Is the spitting image of my Big Orange Bitey Thing but a lovely tannish brown color. Label on the cup: “Starburst” $14.99

am i the only one who thought this was just the other color morph of P. murinus? they do come in that color and are otherwise identical to usumbaras. i also frequently see them under the common name starburst.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oh? The whole "Usambara" thing is getting out of control. My pet shop guy sellls them as something completely different. I was under the impression thst the Usambara was the more common, but I'm finiding out that is it a color morph of something else and LESS common. And the H. maculate DOES look WAY "fancier" and brighter than mine. Perhaps we should consult Mr. West on this matter. (And I'm sure some photos would be helpful.) I'll probably have EVERYONE smacking their foreheads before long!

And no Spike, you're not too late. I didn't even THINK of chalcodes, I was looking at another aphonopelma.

O.K..... film at 11!!!:confused: :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I FINALLY HAVE PICTURES!!!

This is the unidentified aphonopelma I picked up in Vegas when I got married. She was just a plain, light brown, but has since molted and is a beauty!!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ya i agree, when I first posted I said that #1 was a maculata but now that I have read it again, it sounds like it could be the non-orange color phase of the usambara they are sometimes called Starburst. They are somewhat of a white/grey and look exactly like the orange phase but arent orange. Thats most likely what you have if it doesnt look like a Maculata.

TheDon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Actually, I read that GREAT caresheet someone posted, but I forgot which thread, anyway it was three pages long! Evidently, the pterinochilus murinus comes in three color phases, the orangey-red, the tan, and the gray. SO, our "Usambara Baboons" and our "Mombassa Baboons" and our "Starburst Baboons" and all those other commonly stupid names are actually ALL a color-morph of the plain, old p. murinus!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Actually, I have identified all the T's but the one I just posted the picture of... but I didn't want to start a new thread and gett yelled at!!!:rolleyes:

I just don't know what the aphonopelma is!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gotcha :) i came into this thread late!

on my way back out now!

by the way, thats a Aphonopelma terriiscooliensis
peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
perhaps it's a Rio Grande Gold - Aphonopelma moderatum?

i was going to say it vaguely looked like my Aphonopelma, but it doesn't. :)