Name that Spider?

BigPaw

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I'm hoping to identify a spider that we found while digging a hole with my cousin as a child, please.

As a boy we lived on Buchanan Road, Murrayfield, Australia. We had come home from the beach and my cousin and I wanted to continue using our beach spades and buckets. So, we started digging a hole. After a few minutes I noticed something black and shiny and patted it with my Spade. Suddenly it became a spider! Through the eyes of a three/four year old this spider was huge. We started running and it appeared to chase us, although it could have just been running in the same direction. It did quite well in keeping up with the run of a three/four year old to the point I stopped looking at where it was and just focused on getting into the house.

My memories of it are that it appeared big, fast, and aggressive, from the point of view of a three/four year old, and with hindsight. Any guesses as to what sort of spider it might have been?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it was a huntsman spider? You probably won’t have much luck nailing it down without more details.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Was the spider in the hole? Maybe some sort of trapdoor spider?
They can be black and are usually pretty shiny. Although I’m not very familiar with Australian spiders.

the liphistius guy

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I'm hoping to identify a spider that we found while digging a hole with my cousin as a child, please.

As a boy we lived on Buchanan Road, Murrayfield, Australia. We had come home from the beach and my cousin and I wanted to continue using our beach spades and buckets. So, we started digging a hole. After a few minutes I noticed something black and shiny and patted it with my Spade. Suddenly it became a spider! Through the eyes of a three/four year old this spider was huge. We started running and it appeared to chase us, although it could have just been running in the same direction. It did quite well in keeping up with the run of a three/four year old to the point I stopped looking at where it was and just focused on getting into the house.

My memories of it are that it appeared big, fast, and aggressive, from the point of view of a three/four year old, and with hindsight. Any guesses as to what sort of spider it might have been?
maybe a mouse spider? or a funnel web.