Name Revisions:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I’m sure we’ve all noticed the whirlwind of confusion that follows the revision of a Latin name or even worse. When one species seems to belong to 3 or more identities (Cough Cough* Phormictopus Sp Hispaniola/Green femur etc....)

So... Let this thread become a guide through the land of confusion! All hobbyists please alert and explain when a name is revised or post if you have an explanation to a Phormicotpus sp Hispaniola/Green femur type predicament or inquire if these peculiarities are confusing.

I’ll start with the hot one right now... Quite a few Brachypelma have been revised to the genus Tliltocatl, pronounced ‘Kleel-Toe-Cat’ Here is the list.(Former L, current R)

B.Albopilosum- T. Alpobilosus
B. Sabulosum- T. Sabulosus
All following species possess the same name, now simply belonging to the genus Tliltocatl.
B.Epicureanus-
B.Kahlenbergi-
B.Vagans-
B. Verdezi-
B. Schroederi-

Hope this helps! Would love to see everyone’s contributions!

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Taxonomy revisions are best addressed in their own threads due to how active those threads are with questions and feedback. Also, it is easier to do a search on individual threads when looking for information regarding a specific change.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Taxonomy revisions are best addressed in their own threads due to how active those threads are with questions and feedback. Also, it is easier to do a search on individual threads when looking for information regarding a specific change.
I’m not exactly sure I understand your post... I decided to start this thread as a place in which all taxonomy revisions can be easily accessed without the requirement to search through multiple threads for info on a single genus... surely that’s preferable

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I’m not exactly sure I understand your post... I decided to start this thread as a place in which all taxonomy revisions can be easily accessed without the requirement to search through multiple threads for info on a single genus... surely that’s preferable
No, it's not preferable. The Avicularia taxonomy thread alone was several pages long, as was the Brachypelma one. When you combine those into one thread, you end up with a hot mess where people can't tell who is replying to what/whom and you have to go through several pages to find any information at all. It would be a disaster to contribute to and search on.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
No, it's not preferable. The Avicularia taxonomy thread alone was several pages long, as was the Brachypelma one. When you combine those into one thread, you end up with a hot mess where people can't tell who is replying to what/whom and you have to go through several pages to find any information at all. It would be a disaster to contribute to and search on.
You could simply state that all threads are similar, a hot mess of multiple different points and subtopics (look at the ‘Quarantine blues thread’). If you post in a clear and concise fashion and quote the posts you refer to any confusing thread is pretty simple to understand...

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I’m sure we’ve all noticed the whirlwind of confusion that follows the revision of a Latin name or even worse. When one species seems to belong to 3 or more identities (Cough Cough* Phormictopus Sp Hispaniola/Green femur etc....)

So... Let this thread become a guide through the land of confusion! All hobbyists please alert and explain when a name is revised or post if you have an explanation to a Phormicotpus sp Hispaniola/Green femur type predicament or inquire if these peculiarities are confusing.

I’ll start with the hot one right now... Quite a few Brachypelma have been revised to the genus Tliltocatl, pronounced ‘Tilt-O‘ Cattle’ (Welcome to Texas...) Here is the list.(Former L, current R)

B.Albopilosum- T. Alpobilosus
B. Sabulosum- T. Sabulosus
All following species possess the same name, now simply belonging to the genus Tlitocatl.
B. Alvarezi
B. Andrewi
B. Aureo
B.Epicureanus-
B.Kahlenbergi-
B.Vagans-
B. Verdezi-
B. Schroederi-

Hope this helps! Would love to see everyone’s contributions!
"B.Epicuranus"
- Eurypelma epicureana was Brachypelma epicureanum before revision, Tliltocatl epicureanum after revision mistake, and now after correction it is T. epicureanus.

"B. Alvarezi
B. Andrewi
B. Aureo"
- aureo... ? I know You meant aureoceps, but someone unfamiliar with topic, as those You would like to guide, wouldnt.
- as these are now regarded nomina bubia, do not list them, it would only create confusion
- if You want to talk about nomenclature, for God’s sake, please do not capitalize species name!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I addressed the Brachypelma revision shortly after it was published.

Brachypelma now consists of B. albiceps, B. auratum, B. baumgarteni, B. boehmei, B. emilia, B. hamorii, B. klaasi and B. smithi.

Tliltocatl consists of T. albopilosus, T. epicureanus, T. kahlenbergi, T. sabulosus, T. schroederi, T. vagans, and T. verdezi.

Brachypelma fossorium
is transferred to Stichoplastoris but, according to Mendoza, the Longhorn & Gabriel paper overrides this so it is still a junior synonym of Sandinista lanceolatum.

B. alvarezi
, B. andrewi and B. aureoceps would have been transferred to the new genus but should be considered nomina dubia.

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz046/5611858
pronounced ‘Tilt-O‘ Cattle’
Yeah, it's not pronounced like that at all, there was an extensive debate about this in the revision thread.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
@ColeopteraC See? Thats exactly what I am talking about !

@Liquifin No wonder, they are nomina dubia within Tliltocatl, not accepted species, and last one is supposed to be aureoceps...
To all,
Looking back on this thread there are multiple typos. I have rectified these in the edit...

At a small-ish entomological based meeting a month or so ago a member was doing a detailed lecture based upon the revision of Brachypelma, It was detailed and I wrote much of it down as notes to help understand... This is information I gained from his talk, the lecturer remained unquestioned, hence I presumed what he had stated was accurate. It seems further research didn’t exactly help to differentiate nomina dubia...

Now I realise it is not as such and am contacting him based upon the subject. I apologise to all for my relatively heavy handed approach to this and urge anyone confused to follow other more credible threads... The concept of a taxonomic revision thread does not seem insensible to me but I’ll let the community decide upon that... Have a good day and see ya later

@The Grym Reaper, another staff member has assured me its ‘Tilt O’ Cattle’, this also seems to be the way the only Nahuatl online translator I can find pronounces the two words when separated (does not want to translate it as a single phrase) Until a definite answer is decided (can they even decide how to pronounce their new genus?...)I will refer to it as this.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
@The Grym Reaper, another staff member has assured me its ‘Tilt O’ Cattle’, this also seems to be the way the only Nahuatl online translator I can find pronounces the two words when separated (does not want to translate it as a single phrase) Until a definite answer is decided (can they even decide how to pronounce their new genus?...)I will refer to it as this.
In the original post on this revision of Brachypelma, there was a link to a YouTube video of a native nahuatl speaker saying Tliltocatl with proper pronunciation. It sounded closer to kleel-toe-kahk to me. Check it out.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There's a clip in the revision thread of it being pronounced by a Nahuatl speaker, the correct pronunciation is Kleel-toe-cat