Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mean slings. I ordered a bunch slings. The list goes like this;

B. smithi 1/2"
B. vagans 1/2"
H. lividum 1/2"
L. parahybana 1/2"
P. murinus 3/4"

How exciting I KNOW!!! {D So now I'm wondering about a setup. Well not really, I've kind of figured it out/looked it up/someone suggested some stuff. So I got some old jars. Filled them with peat soil, and Bam!

There's some pictures below of the jars. The two taller ones are for the slings that will burrow(not all of them are in the pictures). The two tanks are my setups for my two G. roseas.

[/QUOTE]

So what do you think?

-Edit-

Oh, and those are pictures of the crickets I plan to feed them, they're about 1/2" in length.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can find something smaller I would do that. At 1/2 " they are going to tunnel straight to the bottem and you are never going to see them and checking on them in that jar might be a pain in the butt. I have a ton of .5 through 2" slings that I keep in small deli cups.
Your jars will work, and you can use them, but after a day or two don't expect to see any of them.

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea I would have to agree that those jars are too big for the size of slings you are getting. When I first recieved my first order of slings I was surprised how small they really were. What I am using for my slings are 3 inches tall with a 1 and 1/2 inch diameter spice containers that I found at bed, bath, and beyond for about 89 cents each. I melted a bunch of holes in the lid and they work nicely.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1" slings are in deli cups, like you'd get soup in at a Chinese food place. They were free, and my slings are doing great in them

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the pictures of the crickets struck me the most. Do you keep the smells away by changing the soil often, or does the soil itself absorb the stench?

i keep my crickets in a plastic container that gets completely washed out every week or so because the smell gets terrible.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I can't stand the smell. Really really bad.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah- it's worse than a locker room that's been closed up for the summer!!

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can get the different size containers from the deli at your local supermarket.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i would just keep the crickets without substrate. it's easier to keep their container clean which in turn makes it easier to prevent a mite infestation.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll say the same, your jars are too big to the slings, like Ryan said in one or two days your new sling will be on the bottom, try with some smaller jars.. ;P

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah your jars are too big... come on T's have survived for millions of years .
You think they wont find a cricket in a small container? they do it in nature with no boundries. The setup looks good. Go With It

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the pictures of the crickets struck me the most. Do you keep the smells away by changing the soil often, or does the soil itself absorb the stench?

i keep my crickets in a plastic container that gets completely washed out every week or so because the smell gets terrible.
i would just keep the crickets without substrate. it's easier to keep their container clean which in turn makes it easier to prevent a mite infestation.
First off, I'll respond to the cricket people. XD

This is my FIRST ever batch of crix. When they were pinheads, I kept them in a large sandwich container. No substrate. Then when they got to the 1/4" mark, I added them into a tall container, then added substrate (peat). I keep the substrate dry. It absorbs most of the smell, cleanup is unnecessary. Mites are not a problem if you keep it dry in there. My crix get all their moisture they need from plants I give them. They occasionally get some fish as a protein boost.

Now, the jars. Those are kind of large I suppose. But really, I was thinking along the lines of "Do I really want to transfer the P. murinus and H. lividum like after 4 weeks into larger containers?" That's just a thought.

And I'm still confused as to why too much space is an issue? I filled the jar up so if they climb and fall, it's unlikely they will hurt themselves. In they wild there are no lids, or glass walls. How do they manage out there?

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And I'm still confused as to why too much space is an issue? I filled the jar up so if they climb and fall, it's unlikely they will hurt themselves. In they wild there are no lids, or glass walls. How do they manage out there?
I am sure they are talking mostly about the burrowers. They could build an entire underground sanctuary in all that space. Besides that...if they burrow and refuse to come out it looks like you would have ALOT of guesswork to do as to where they are and trying to get to them without injury to you or the T. Just my .02, but I would only give about 3-4 inches to a 0.5" sling

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The jars look fine to me, if you dont plan on rehouseing them any time soon. Also if the T needs food they will come out of there holes,
The only thing i would worry about is the holes in the Lid, they look a lil to big,