N. tripepii arboreal behavior?

OctoPhid

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a lovely Nhandu tripepii juvenile from @Sushidragons and noticed that as I rehoused her into her enclosure (a small exo terra breeding box) she proceeded to run up the side of the enclosure on to the lid. I didn't take this as a sign of abnormal behavior right away, however, after spending all week on the lid (except for two feedings), I am beginning to think something is up. If anyone is wondering about her setup, she is on several inches of slightly moist coco coir (exo terra plantation soil if that matters) with a couple fake plants and a cork flat. Any thoughts or concerns are greatly appreciated.

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely 100% not arboreal. Climbing to the lid is common for ts having trouble acclimating to a new home....give it time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sometimes climbing occurs from improper cage conditions. Something to consider..

On a side note, my new juvi tripepi has been climbing a lot as well, had her a few weeks. Just takes a while sometimes.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
That's funny, mine acts straight-up fossorial! :rofl:

It has constructed a big cavern, and almost never comes out (currently a 1 3/4 inch sling.) I am hoping that it stays out in the open a bit more when it's an adult.

OctoPhid

Arachnopeon
Sometimes climbing occurs from improper cage conditions. Something to consider..

On a side note, my new juvi tripepi has been climbing a lot as well, had her a few weeks. Just takes a while sometimes.
I know that's why T's climb, what do you think is wrong with my setup? I don't know what to change.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
If your keeping the substrate too moist they will often avoid it, but we would need pictures to confirm this. Its likely just getting used to its new home... probably nothing to worry about. I wouldn't call that arboreal behavior, although it can be confusing to the untrained eye.

cold blood

Staff member
If your keeping the substrate too moist they will often avoid it, but we would need pictures to confirm this. Its likely just getting used to its new home... probably nothing to worry about. I wouldn't call that arboreal behavior, although it can be confusing to the untrained eye.
Maybe for a species that likes things dry...Nhandu though, do not have an aversion to damp sub...in fact, they prefer it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Maybe for a species that likes things dry...Nhandu though, do not have an aversion to damp sub...in fact, they prefer it.
Yes to a certain extent, but damp can be a pretty subjective term, its easy to over do it, that's why I asked for pictures.