N. Incei slings coming in

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
super excited, these guys have been on my radar for a while, and recently found a bunch for an absolutely insane price. so i bought 20 slings and a young 0.1 adult.

With this species prolific webbing and communal tenancies i have plans on these guys being my new display setup. (i have about 115 ts and a ton of slings in my t room, but i have a spot in the general traffic areas of the house for some display enclosures) So i plan on making a pretty decent, aesthetically pleasing, naturalistic enclosure.

I have little experience with live plants as ive only used them once, what are everyone's opinions on some live vegetation. Maybe some species of moss or ferns? any ideas on plant species that will be able to survive without being choked out by the webbing, or should i just go with synthetic fauna?

im planning on either custom making a 10-20g acrylic enclosure, or re purposing a 16g terrarium (cutting cross ventilation and fabricating an acrylic lid) do you guys think this is suitable space for that number of slings in the long term? Ive seen some pretty well populated communals that seemed pretty cramped.

cheers! pictures to come as i make the enclosure

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I had a communal of N. incei once. Good times. Until I only had one fat spider. Hopefully your experience is less fratricide-y.

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Pothos are always a great option. They don't need much light and can survive without water for a bit. I also use air plants. Those things are pretty hardy and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pothos are a go-to for invert cages. I also use succulents.

The biggest thing, for me, to keeping my N. incei communal happy is FOOD. Mine basically have their own roach colony in the communal to keep everyone fat and happy without eating each other :)

I had a communal of N. incei once. Good times. Until I only had one fat spider. Hopefully your experience is less fatricide-y.
That is so not cool haha

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You might want to start it out with a good sized colony of isopods and springtails which can also serve as prey for offspring besides a clean up crew.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
i have several iso and dwarf white cultures that are doing well, more than enough to take care of a large tank, thanks for the plants recomendations guys, i thought about air ferns too.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I had a communal of N. incei once. Good times. Until I only had one fat spider. Hopefully your experience is less fratricide-y.

Ive had fairly good luck with my communals so far, I have a subfusca group that have been together for about a year and a half now. Started with 4, still have 4, and they all still bunch up in the same hide. At least 1 confirmed female in the group so maybe in another year or so I'll introduce a male and see if I can go for 2 generations.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
super excited, these guys have been on my radar for a while, and recently found a bunch for an absolutely insane price. so i bought 20 slings and a young 0.1 adult.

With this species prolific webbing and communal tenancies i have plans on these guys being my new display setup. (i have about 115 ts and a ton of slings in my t room, but i have a spot in the general traffic areas of the house for some display enclosures) So i plan on making a pretty decent, aesthetically pleasing, naturalistic enclosure.

I have little experience with live plants as ive only used them once, what are everyone's opinions on some live vegetation. Maybe some species of moss or ferns? any ideas on plant species that will be able to survive without being choked out by the webbing, or should i just go with synthetic fauna?

im planning on either custom making a 10-20g acrylic enclosure, or re purposing a 16g terrarium (cutting cross ventilation and fabricating an acrylic lid) do you guys think this is suitable space for that number of slings in the long term? Ive seen some pretty well populated communals that seemed pretty cramped.

cheers! pictures to come as i make the enclosure

Gold or regular?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
They are the regular color form, I wish I could have gotten the deal I did on golds, but ehh, the color difference isn't that extreme imo.
Plus you'll have a few sacs within a couple of years and from what I understand the normal color form produce some golds.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Plus you'll have a few sacs within a couple of years and from what I understand the normal color form produce some golds.
That's what ive read as well, I assume its some receive gene of some sort, so idk if pairing golds yields only golds, but regardless I'm sure I'll have a few. Who knows, there might be a few golds mixed in there as well. They are only 1" slings so I'm not sure at what point the gold vs olive is distinguishable

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
From what I understand these breed like rabbits too in communal setups. A friend of mine has a 100g tank devoted to 4 generations at least. He said every time he found a sac he pulled it but they still managed to continuously breed out of sight causing the generational habitat.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
That's what ive read as well, I assume its some receive gene of some sort, so idk if pairing golds yields only golds, but regardless I'm sure I'll have a few. Who knows, there might be a few golds mixed in there as well. They are only 1" slings so I'm not sure at what point the gold vs olive is distinguishable
It's distinguishable as slings so you would definitely know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have little experience with live plants as ive only used them once, what are everyone's opinions on some live vegetation.
I suggest you look up the habitat where these are from and see what plants they would come in contact with, that's the best route. They will web up most everything, very much like a GBB in that manner.

Normal incei do not necessarily produce golds. They have to carry the gold gene (technically it's assumed it's a single gene that produces the pattern and color morph).

Golds are produced in classical Mendelian genetics for a simple recessive gene, so likely 1 gene. You can produce gold either with Gold parents, or 2 heterozygous normal parents (that's how golds were originally produced unknowingly).

As gold inheritance falls under classical Mendelian genetics, you cannot produce WT parents from gold progeny.

This is all basic biology that is learned in high school.

As Kodi said, as slings you can tell the difference instantly. There's no mistaking a normal for a gold unless you are Ray Charles.

I have golds and normals all sacmates.

This is by far one of the most underrated NW species out there, esp considering it's been around for a very long time relative to other species.

The more you feed them, the less you will see them.

If you set up your container properly, they will start setting up shop within minutes.

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have 6 golds I can definitely tell if they're golds or not.

Here's a photo of a gold sling its not the best I'll post a better one when I can get it.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I suggest you look up the habitat where these are from and see what plants they would come in contact with, that's the best route. They will web up most everything, very much like a GBB in that manner.

This doesn't really work, I would think it would be VERY unlikely that you would find any of the prominent fauna from their natural habitat at your local home depot, and then on top of that there's no telling how challenging the plats care is.

I doubt the T's themselves care what species of plant is used, so the question was more geared to species of plant that would be able to be hardy enough to survive being webbed up completely as well as surviving with very little sunlight and general tank conditions

Jeff23

Arachnolord
This doesn't really work, I would think it would be VERY unlikely that you would find any of the prominent fauna from their natural habitat at your local home depot, and then on top of that there's no telling how challenging the plats care is.

I doubt the T's themselves care what species of plant is used, so the question was more geared to species of plant that would be able to be hardy enough to survive being webbed up completely as well as surviving with very little sunlight and general tank conditions
What about light conditions for this T if you use live plants? Are they okay with it more like an arboreal?

Can you bend the rules for the height of the enclosure beyond the substrate for these? I see pictures of some interesting ones on google. I have three golds and four olives. Right now mine are in 32 ounce deli cups but I would love to create some enclosures much bigger that is similar to my GBB enclosures for them after the next molts.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
my experience with prolific webbers like GBB and from what ive seen with these guys is they do fine with a bit of height filled with vegetation or fake plants, they seem to just take over whatever they can for their web tunnels or burrow if insufficient anchors are available. That being said i dont have any experience with them yet so someone else would be able to give you a better answer, but if id have to guess a little bit more height filled with anchor points will be fine