N. Incei slings coming in

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This doesn't really work, I would think it would be VERY unlikely that you would find any of the prominent fauna from their natural habitat at your local home depot, and then on top of that there's no telling how challenging the plats care is.

I doubt the T's themselves care what species of plant is used, so the question was more geared to species of plant that would be able to be hardy enough to survive being webbed up completely as well as surviving with very little sunlight and general tank conditions
All I read in that response was a bunch of "can't do" before you even started looking I think, tell me what you "can do" ;) Just messing w/ya a bit

I see what you mean regarding Home Depot. It depends, you'd be surprised how many tropical plants are available in the hobby. You need to visit Dendroboard and you would see the many slices of rainforest people have created in tanks. However, if you aren't able/willing to spend more money on a plant than say what exists at Home Depot, I get it.

they seem to just take over whatever they can for their web tunnels or burrow if insufficient anchors are available.
This is a fact. Myself, @cold blood and @EulersK have all observed this. We've been running "experiments" sorta w/incei and looking at their opportunistic engineering.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
All I read in that response was a bunch of "can't do" before you even started looking I think, tell me what you "can do" ;) Just messing w/ya a bit

I see what you mean regarding Home Depot. It depends, you'd be surprised how many tropical plants are available in the hobby. You need to visit Dendroboard and you would see the many slices of rainforest people have created in tanks. However, if you aren't able/willing to spend more money on a plant than say what exists at Home Depot, I get it.

This is a fact. Myself, @cold blood and @EulersK have all observed this. We've been running "experiments" sorta w/incei and looking at their opportunistic engineering.

It's just a balancing act between ideality and practicality. I've been running a similar experiment with one of my gbb slings. I have him in a tall 64oz deli with a synthetic plant taking up a large amount of the volume and he has taken completely over and actually spends most of his time higher up in the enclosure.

It seems like these species that have the heavy webbing tendencies are highly adaptive and even prefer to utilize natural structure over burrowing their own structure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It seems like these species that have the heavy webbing tendencies are highly adaptive and even prefer to utilize natural structure over burrowing their own structure.
The exact same thing can be said about Chilobrachys. I haven't observed this in any other "burrowing" species yet, though. There was actually a very convincing theory proposed by @viper69 that stated these species may prefer to web as it is much less work (i.e. uses less calories) to web than it does to burrow. After all, they don't know that they're in captivity. For all they know, their next meal could be months away. No point in wasting energy building a burrow when webbing will do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wish I knew what was in their mind. I have an incei in a 16 oz deli, plastic plants to one side, a cork bark piece touching the plants. Either could serve as a home. So what this guy did was web up the cork, forming a burrow sorta. Then he immediately took over the plants a bit. The plants had a space under them, like an arch actually that I created on purpose. He took to that space and basically had 2 homes. Well, after a few weeks I woke up to the entire plastic plants being pulled together and webbed over on top. The incei also connected the plants to the cork so it was now one giant home. In short, what s/he has now is nothing like what it started with. I don't know what prompted this, but this species is by far the most interesting when it comes to webbing I've ever owned, more than my GBB.

Don't worry about giving them a piece of cork that is larger than they are in terms of diameter. They will web up the extra space w/sub and turn it into a very, very tight fitting hole/entry way. It's not like other NW terrestrials that will just stay under the hide. They wrap it up very tightly. They make VERY interesting web openings. They will dig under and expand into a larger chamber below a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
Wish I knew what was in their mind. I have an incei in a 16 oz deli, plastic plants to one side, a cork bark piece touching the plants. Either could serve as a home. So what this guy did was web up the cork, forming a burrow sorta. Then he immediately took over the plants a bit. The plants had a space under them, like an arch actually that I created on purpose. He took to that space and basically had 2 homes. Well, after a few weeks I woke up to the entire plastic plants being pulled together and webbed over on top. The incei also connected the plants to the cork so it was now one giant home. In short, what s/he has now is nothing like what it started with. I don't know what prompted this, but this species is by far the most interesting when it comes to webbing I've ever owned, more than my GBB.
Its this intense industrious webbing that would give me pause with regards to live plants. I just don't see how they will live, considering they will likely be completely webbed over in time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its this intense industrious webbing that would give me pause with regards to live plants. I just don't see how they will live, considering they will likely be completely webbed over in time.
I agree. This would be a reason to see if any Europeans have live planted viv's that were able to successfully keep plants. I may have to look through YouTube again, and PureExotics.

@LittleT @Chris LXXIX (I know you're really an OW person) @louise f @Storm76 have you observed planted vivariums with H. incei?

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I agree. This would be a reason to see if any Europeans have live planted viv's that were able to successfully keep plants. I may have to look through YouTube again, and PureExotics.

@LittleT @Chris LXXIX (I know you're really an OW person) @louise f @Storm76 have you observed planted vivariums with H. incei?
I have some fake air plants in my communal of 4 and they all made their own little web fortresses against the walls of the enclosure, but haven't even touched the plants.
I'm guessing because they are placed near the middle and it seems like they prefer the enclosures walls.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
yeah this was my chief concern, which is why i was asking to see if anyone had any experienc ein the matter. i have nothing against synthetic plants but since its going to be a full display i think id like it just a bit more as natural. but dead plants dont look good

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have some fake air plants in my communal of 4 and they all made their own little web fortresses against the walls of the enclosure, but haven't even touched the plants.
I'm guessing because they are placed near the middle and it seems like they prefer the enclosures walls.
Would you post a birds eye view of the container, I'd be interested in looking at that. Your situation is different, mine is living solo ;)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Decided to go with synthetics. Mom and 22 of her younguns are housed and settled in immediately!

cold blood

Staff member
I'd go bigger with the water dish, those will get webbed up really fast.

Looks nice. It will be interesting to see where/how they "set up shop".

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I'd go bigger with the water dish, those will get webbed up really fast.

Looks nice. It will be interesting to see where/how they "set up shop".
yeah all i had on hand were small sauce cups, felt they were too deep. thats what im interested in as well! half the fun!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
like 15 or so of the 22 slings have all set up and started webbing up the bark pile. 1 or 2 are hanging out in the plants but most seem to have flocked to the bark. female is just chilling on the side, same spot as the photos, probably just need to rest, it was 6 days in the post.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
like 15 or so of the 22 slings have all set up and started webbing up the bark pile. 1 or 2 are hanging out in the plants but most seem to have flocked to the bark. female is just chilling on the side, same spot as the photos, probably just need to rest, it was 6 days in the post.
That's a lot of slings. Keep them well fed! :D