N. incei is behaving strangely after molt, secreting orange fluid

Trichocereusly

Arachnopeon
My N. incei molted a week ago and everything seemed to be just fine and was acting normal but then yesterday I noticed that it was hanging on its cork bark in a strange position (a few legs holding on while some legs curled under) and being very lethargic and almost unresponsive. I then noticed that there were multiple specks of bright orange fluid around it and inside its burrow was a large puddle of the orange fluid. I am not positive where the fluid is coming from but I think its coming out of her spinneret area.

At first I thought that it might have taken a fall due to the puddle of fluid, but I could not find any damage on the spider underneath or on top.

Then I thought maybe its some kind of phantom egg sac fluid? I am not positive that its female and I also don't think its mature yet.

I have searched the forum for orange fluid coming out of tarantulas, I couldn't find much but a few members said that a similar orange fluid was likely poop. It seems like a lot of poop for a small tarantula though.

Just awhile ago it moved upside down in its water bowl. It seems as if it can't move its legs correctly. I gently nudged her with a paintbrush and she slowly rolled over and is now lying next to the water bowl. If anyone has any idea what could be going wrong please chime in. I have never seen anything like this and I am worried.

In attached photos I have circled the orange fluid. The first photo is of her when she was lying upside down and has a small speck of orange fluid next to her. The second photo is of her burrow, next to circled orange fluid puddle is her recent molt.

Attachments

the liphistius guy

Arachnopeon
I believe this is quite natural for a very well-fed tarantula to secrete this substance. If it keeps going on for a week the something might be up but I think its fine. If your really worried I would suggest putting it in a tarantula ICU.

Hi
The so called ICU is a thing that people mostly use as last resort if there is a major issue with the tarantula.It can do more harm than good depending on the species.There are quite a lot of unknowns about tarantulas and their behaviour.I will leave the spider be and just observe it a bit more closely
Regards Konstantin

the liphistius guy

Arachnopeon
Hi
The so called ICU is a thing that people mostly use as last resort if there is a major issue with the tarantula.It can do more harm than good depending on the species.There are quite a lot of unknowns about tarantulas and their behaviour.I will leave the spider be and just observe it a bit more closely
Regards Konstantin
I don't think damp paper towels can harm such hardy animals.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
An ICU is a death trap.

She could be dehydrated, so give her some water droplets between the fangs, I wouldn't leave her in the water dish. The substrate looks too dry, I'd moist it a little bit, leaving one area dry.

Did she fall or something? Did you feed her after the molt? What's the temperature of the room? Please try to give us the more info you can, pictures etc

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Do not put it in an “ICU”....unless you don’t like it that much.

Trichocereusly

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the replies everyone.

I am wary of using an ICU so I won't be doing that, thanks for the input though.

I added more moisture to the substrate in case it was too dry.

The temperature has been a pretty steady 75-76 °F

She has not moved much since I nudged her out of the water bowl.

I am considering trying to re-homing her because there is some mold growing inside the enclosure. Could mold be a problem for tarantulas? I thought it wasn't really an issue but maybe I was wrong.

Here is a photo of her lying next to water bowl (some mold bottom of frame). I tried to get a better shot of the fluid puddle inside the burrow. Also a photo of some of the other dried specks (once orange and clear).

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Does she react to any stimulus? The fluid doesn look like hemolymph, and if that was the case, with such amount she'd be dead.

Trichocereusly

Arachnopeon
Does she react to any stimulus? The fluid doesn look like hemolymph, and if that was the case, with such amount she'd be dead.
She does but very little, and seemingly less today than yesterday. Nothing like her usual behavior.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Just leave the waterdish full and let it drink from it if needed. Also keep an eye on movement and behaviors as there isn't much that can be done at the moment.

It can do more harm than good depending on the species.
Right and wrong. ICU can do more harm than good, but it's not dependent on the species but rather the situation that the tarantula is in. ICU should only be used for a shriveled abdomen or what you would call dehydration. Other than that an ICU serves no other useful purposes. Which the harm comes when people use ICU's for the wrong reasons.

Trichocereusly

Arachnopeon
Oh and 4 days ago I tried to feed her (7 days after molt) she was very responsive and came to the mealworm but clearly did not want to eat, so I took it out.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Oh and 4 days ago I tried to feed her (7 days after molt) she was very responsive and came to the mealworm but clearly did not want to eat, so I took it out.
Could the mealworm have bitten your T?

I'd check your T looking for any injury

Trichocereusly

Arachnopeon
Could the mealworm have bitten your T?

I'd check your T looking for any injury
No I don't think so, I was watching the whole time the mealworm was in the enclosure and it didn't touch her. I also looked her over pretty thoroughly for any damage and I couldn't find any.