N. incei as my next tarantula??

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Ok, here goes nothing, as a kid i had a moderate case of arachnophobia, right now i have 10 tarantulas and 2 scorpions, I love handling them (within reason of course) and my collection is only growing lol. I have no fear of any arachnids, and I'm starting to consider centipedes lol.

Ok back in topic . I rate tarantulas by aggression, venom, growth rate, and of course looks. How does N. invei do in each category?

Cheers!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'll preface this with saying N. incei is not a tarantula I'd consider handling even if I was for handling Ts in general - they're incredibly quick and skittish and you're very likely to lose your T.

I wouldn't consider these guys "aggressive" (cough defensive cough) and they're far more flight than fight. I have not witnessed a single threat pose from any of mine and they'd much rather dart away into the safety of their extravagant web castles. In the off chance you did get bit, these are a new world species with mild venom that wouldnt pose any threat to your health. Growth rates are FANTASTIC, which is awesome when combined with their good appetites. My male went from sling to mature in about a year. In the looks department, that's very dependent on your preferences but I find both color forms to be stunning.

I'm more partial to the olive color form, myself. ;)

N. incei is a sorely underrated species and I'd recommend it to any keeper who feels they're ready to try a T with a little bit of speed.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have an adult female olive who is between 3.5" and 4". I love my girl, but she is extremely reclusive.
Prolific webber. Not defensive at all, but extremely fast and skittish. They lack urticating hairs, so there might be a chance that venom is a bit stronger than a tarantula with urticating hairs, but there is no evidence to suggest that. I would suspect that it was pretty much on par with any other new world species. They have good appetites. They're gorgeous, when you see them.
DSC08300-003.jpg
DSC00105-2.jpg
DSC08327-2.jpg

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I only handle things that can be handled safely, for instance I have a Caribena versicolor that I never ever handle, and I dread having to rehouse it when absolutely needed let alone handling it for fun. I am making an educated guess they're very comparable in that regard

I have an adult female olive who is between 3.5" and 4". I love my girl, but she is extremely reclusive.
Prolific webber. Not defensive at all, but extremely fast and skittish. They lack urticating hairs, so there might be a chance that venom is a bit stronger than a tarantula with urticating hairs, but there is no evidence to suggest that. I would suspect that it was pretty much on par with any other new world species. They have good appetites. They're gorgeous, when you see them.
View attachment 320420
View attachment 320419
View attachment 320421
Many thanks for the reply too! I think I'll get one on my next trip to get feeders

Here's a better picture of my male olive color form prior to him maturing. Love the abdominal patterning. View attachment 320422
View attachment 320420
View attachment 320419
View attachment 320421
Thanks guys, how long they live on average?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thanks guys, how long they live on average?
I would guess around the 10-12 year mark. They're faster growing, so you won't be getting 20+ years out of them. I think they might be a bit longer lived than a true dwarf, like a Cyriocosmus.
I forgot to add that this species is at the top of my list of painfully underrated and underappreciated.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Btw, how does it compare to other dwarf Ts like Dolichothele diamentinensis??

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Are these guys found in the same habitat as GBBs?

*I’m finding I’m having a thing for Venezuelan tarantulas
**I should have looked at a map before asking that question. Looks like their habitats are on opposite ends of Venezuela.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Aren't they called Trinidad olive tarantula?
Yes, but common names can overlap and apply to more than one species or be placed to the wrong species. That's why scientific names are useful and generally preferred - there are several Ts referred to as Trinidad something in the hobby, while N. incei only refers to that specific species.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I love my N. Incei, I honestly don't recommend them people who have mainly slow, easy to rehouse Ts. These tarantulas are like lightening, I'm talking teleporting. After they get settled in and web up they will most likely bolt into their safe place. But if you have experience with quicker Ts I'd say go for it. You won't regret it!
IMG_20190831_235343~2.jpg

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I only handle things that can be handled safely, for instance I have a Caribena versicolor that I never ever handle, and I dread having to rehouse it when absolutely needed let alone handling it for fun. I am making an educated guess they're very comparable in that regard
Iv handled three Ts in my life. I have 20 Ts and have been keeping them for about 4 years and I honestly didn't really get anything out of it. If anything it made me feel bad for stressing them out for no reason. I'm not saying this to put you down or anything, this was just my opinion on it.

Here is the best place to do your research and learning. That's what matters.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, here goes nothing, as a kid i had a moderate case of arachnophobia, right now i have 10 tarantulas and 2 scorpions, I love handling them (within reason of course) and my collection is only growing lol. I have no fear of any arachnids, and I'm starting to consider centipedes lol.

Ok back in topic . I rate tarantulas by aggression, venom, growth rate, and of course looks. How does N. invei do in each category?

Cheers!
It does great. Prob the most underrated species out there. Been around in the hobby for decades, should be more popular!

Dolichothele diamentinensis??
Another great species, the "mini-GBB"

Trinidad something in the hobby
Scientific names are the best, but there are few common names that are linked to only 1 species. The Trinidad Olive is one, so is Venezuelan Sun-Tiger.

Here's a better picture of my male olive color form prior to him maturing. Love the abdominal patterning. View attachment 320422
You need one of these

Last edited by a moderator:

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Update: I just watched a rehouse video and hell no. This is a tarantula's that's very likely to get itself killed during a feeding or rehouse with how bolty and skittish it is. I'm steering clear. I don't think it's underrated given how tricky it is to deal with them

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I rate tarantulas by aggression, venom, growth rate, and of course looks. How does N. invei do in each category?
Fast, fast, fast and fast
Update: I just watched a rehouse video and hell no. This is a tarantula's that's very likely to get itself killed during a feeding or rehouse with how bolty and skittish it is. I'm steering clear. I don't think it's underrated given how tricky it is to deal with them
Good decision. Just gotta wait until one day the temptation of a fast species gets to you

DanJ

Arachnopeon
My N Incei died about a month ago from a bad molt but would definetly get another one. Quite skittish and like lightning, ferocious eater, usually only seen its front legs but it spent half it's time webbing up the entrance to its burrow which was pretty cool until you approached it. I assume if it had lived long enough the whole enclosure would of been webbed up. At least the T has a hide of some sort that would be the first place it would bolt.
20190705_223319.jpg
And writing this has made me NEED TO GET ANOTHER ONE

Last edited:

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Fast, fast, fast and fast

Good decision. Just gotta wait until one day the temptation of a fast species gets to you
Nah it'll never happen.

I know many people here will disagree with me, but such Ts shouldn't be kept as pets, they just don't want to tolerate any level of interaction with any other creature. Now granted, most Ts wanna be left alone, but all the Ts that I have can tolerate at least a moderate level of interaction (removing food remains, rehousing, watering etc). This is the reason why I don't keep old world Ts and never will, they just don't want to feel your presence, let alone tolerate maintenance. I'm sorry if this is blunt, but keeping such animals is just selfish and unjust on many levels, yes they're beautiful and interesting but that alone is no reason to keep them, you're just thinking of yourself and your interests and ignoring the animal's well being, and the fact that you're stressing it frequently. It's a nice T for sure, but it's not something that should be kept as a pet, and prolly neither is 99.999999% of old world Ts and maybe some new world Ts too.

Of course that's just my little opinion that matters only to me.