N. coloratovillosus Pairing

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, that didn't go smoothly.

The male was introduced, and within ten minutes began tapping. She ignored him for awhile before beginning to tap herself. Great! I can see the Nhandu babies already. Well, not so much. Once their legs touched, she was on him in an instant. I was luckily able to separate them (but not before getting haired myself), and at first I was discouraged. A drop of clear fluid on the base of his leg told me that he got tagged, so I set him up in a humid, dark room and hoped for the best. As of this morning, he's perfectly fine insofar as he took the time overnight to make another sperm web. So I lucked out on that - perhaps that clear fluid was just her venom.

We're going to try this again in a neutral enclosure in a few days. I'll sprinkle her substrate in that enclosure just to get the pheromones going so that he'll continue to tap. Here's to fingers crossed.

Any advice or tips on breeding aggressive females is wholly welcome!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Good job on saving the male. Is the female already stuffed to the gills with food?

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Good job on saving the male. Is the female already stuffed to the gills with food?
Oh yeah, she's actually a bit too fat. It's certainly not an issue of food, she's just kind of a jerk.

Shark cage, maybe could work?
Yeah, I've tried shark tanking before with other spiders. The issue is that when you remove the cup, both the male and the female get freaked out enough to where the pairing process essentially starts all over.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very glad you could save him! Really hoping this will work out... how large did that male end up in his ultimate molt?