N. Coloratovillosus molt Q's

lemonie

Arachnopeon
First, I must say I'm a little upset I missed my first molt, but I have 3 new slings and I'm sure I'll see many more.

I've been feeding my slings twice a week hoping they would hurry up and molt for me so I could see it. :wall: My N. Coloratovillosus ~1/2" usually gets about 3 flightless fruitflies and a pinhead cricket which he takes all night to eat. He's been burrowing like crazy and a bit of a pethole and I decided to give him a little more substrate to have fun with today. Didn't think he'd be molting since he ate yesterday. After about an hour, he started up with playing in his new dirt and then burrowed again. I go to check on him a few hours later and notice a "dead T" buried in the new substrate. Can't imagine when it happened since he gave me no signs and abdomen only looked slightly dark last time I saw him.

So should I wait till he surfaces before feeding from now on? I can't imagine fruitflies would cause much damage since they stay at the top but really don't want to risk anything. Would help if someone who has raised this sp. from slings could give some input. Of course, my B. albopilosum eats like a monster and is starting to get black too.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, I must say I'm a little upset I missed my first molt, but I have 3 new slings and I'm sure I'll see many more.

I've been feeding my slings twice a week hoping they would hurry up and molt for me so I could see it. :wall: My N. Coloratovillosus ~1/2" usually gets about 3 flightless fruitflies and a pinhead cricket which he takes all night to eat. He's been burrowing like crazy and a bit of a pethole and I decided to give him a little more substrate to have fun with today. Didn't think he'd be molting since he ate yesterday. After about an hour, he started up with playing in his new dirt and then burrowed again. I go to check on him a few hours later and notice a "dead T" buried in the new substrate. Can't imagine when it happened since he gave me no signs and abdomen only looked slightly dark last time I saw him.

So should I wait till he surfaces before feeding from now on? I can't imagine fruitflies would cause much damage since they stay at the top but really don't want to risk anything. Would help if someone who has raised this sp. from slings could give some input. Of course, my B. albopilosum eats like a monster and is starting to get black too.
Generally you wait 7 days after a molt to feed again. The fruit flies may not be able to directly harm the sling, but their movement could stress it out and make it hurt itself.