N Chromatus sling not eating

CptAkarrin

Arachnopeon
Hey all, looking for some help.

I have 3 slings, one N Chromatus, one T Albopilosus and one L Parahybana.

I have had them roughly nine weeks, the T and L both eat perfectly fine, no fuss, all are kept moist enough, the N just won't eat, hasn't at all since arrival and setup.

We first tried with the mini black crickets that were provided, didn't touch the. And now we are on mini mealworms, again no luck, tried chopping up into small pieces smaller than it's abdomen, even tried leaving some at full length, nothing.

She is about 1cm, no change in size since arrival.

Attachments

SixWitcher

Arachnopeon
I've had some slings that refuse to eat or respond to any food when I am around. 24 to 48 hours later, I can see them munching on a tiny pre killed cricket. If it refuses to eat before the 48 hour mark, I have the feeder disposed of and try again in a week or so unless they are in heavy pre molt. I am still an amateur discerning some of my T's molt cycles so I can't tell based on the size of yours. Looking at the picture, the enclosure seems a tad too big imo. That's a pretty tiny sling. Has it been moving at all since you got it? Has it found a place to hide or burrowed at all in those 9 weeks?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I would put them in something waaay smaller that that. Makes it easier for them to find their prey and not let the cricket camp in the opposite corner and not get eaten. I would do that first, then put a cricket in and try again.

CptAkarrin

Arachnopeon
I've had some slings that refuse to eat or respond to any food when I am around. 24 to 48 hours later, I can see them munching on a tiny pre killed cricket. If it refuses to eat before the 48 hour mark, I have the feeder disposed of and try again in a week or so unless they are in heavy pre molt. I am still an amateur discerning some of my T's molt cycles so I can't tell based on the size of yours. Looking at the picture, the enclosure seems a tad too big imo. That's a pretty tiny sling. Has it been moving at all since you got it? Has it found a place to hide or burrowed at all in those 9 weeks?
I have always fed and left the slings, the bigger two pretty much as soon as I've gone they eat, leave the Chromatus alone for like you say 24-48 hours and no change, I also dispose of the food and try again in a week, that's how I have been doing, once a week feeds on all the slings, but the Chromatus just doesn't seem to want it. It is a tiny sling, the enclosure is also quite small, it's just in comparison the sling is even smaller, it is a starter kit enclosure, Oh yeah plenty of movement, no burrowing ad of yet, but there is a hollow half log that it hides underneath, only occasionally coming out to have a peek.

I would put them in something waaay smaller that that. Makes it easier for them to find their prey and not let the cricket camp in the opposite corner and not get eaten. I would do that first, then put a cricket in and try again.
I will see what I can find to use instead of the enclosure provided, I always make sure the food is placed as close to the slings hiding place as possible. I have seen it out and about while the food is in, just doesn't seem to take any interest.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
TBH that size i would just stick to pre killed until you've seen them eat. Just keep trying once or twice a week and make sure water dish is always available. You're from the uk right? In tesco they do little lunch box tuppaware boxes that might be 2"/3" circular. poke some holes in the sides and top, job done.
I will see what I can find to use instead of the enclosure provided, I always make sure the food is placed as close to the slings hiding place as possible. I have seen it out and about while the food is in, just doesn't seem to take any interest.

CptAkarrin

Arachnopeon
TBH that size i would just stick to pre killed until you've seen them eat. Just keep trying once or twice a week and make sure water dish is always available.
That's essentially what I have been doing, with the sling being so tiny I didn't want any prey causing damage. I always keep on eye on the water dish, the Chromatus definitely seems to be a fan on moisture. I was just getting worried with it now being 9 weeks or so, wasn't sure if it's in pre-molt or anything, can't really tell with the size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's essentially what I have been doing, with the sling being so tiny I didn't want any prey causing damage. I always keep on eye on the water dish, the Chromatus definitely seems to be a fan on moisture. I was just getting worried with it now being 9 weeks or so, wasn't sure if it's in pre-molt or anything, can't really tell with the size.
Feed proper sized prey and you don’t have to worry.

I feed slings less than 1/8” ’live prey

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Rehouse that into like a 1-2oz soufflé cup ,and try feeding again.

it’s hard to tell cause the photo is blurry but the abdomen does not look too small it may be feeding of prey but you may not notice if fed off of it.