N chromatus on its back cuddling substrate after moult

TheHound

Arachnoknight
My Nhandu chromatus sling moulted yesterday. All looks fine and he's been up and about, taking a drink etc (I posted a pic in the who just moulted thread). Today he has gone back on his back under a little clump of substrate, almost drawing it over himself like a duvet. He's been like that most of the day. He's alive and, not that I've tried to move him, seems to want to stay there. Anyone able to cast any light as to what this may be about?

nc.jpg

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I must admit I have never heard or seen of such a thing. Keep us updated, I hope your spider is just goofing around!

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I think he’s just being a weirdo 😅 they do that sometimes. I haven’t seen this in particular but more than once I’m been like ‘what in the heck!?’

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Hope so. Had him since a tiny, early instar.

This was him 24 hours ago - looking fairly well and not much sign of anything wrong. Maybe the sub is a bit dry away from the water bowl? But not sure how that would induce him to embrace a dry clump of it on his back.

Just gently moved his enclosure a notch and he moved all his legs so is still alive. Just... yes, hopefully being an oddball.

20220817_000243.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
They'll often grab the exuvia and suck the moisture out of it as they rehydrate following a molt. Maybe it's trying to do the same with that wad of substrate, and just rolled over while holding onto it? Who knows...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with the above! But yeah they are indeed little weirdos 🤣

TheHound

Arachnoknight
That occurred to me regarding the moisture sucking, but that wad of substrate is bone dry, plus he still does have the exuvium plus the water bowl.

Just got up (had a late night) and checked. Still under there; still alive; still no clue what he's playing at.

8leggednights

Arachnopeon
They can be super funny & bizarre. Today my t albo flattened out like a pancake on the substrate I just watered yesterday- he seems to really enjoy it. The air conditioner dries out the terrarium so I have to add more lately, but he’s happy now- weirdo.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I checked him last night - at this point he'd been doing it about a day and a half. I began to be worried that he was stuck somehow, i.e. the sub was stuck to him and preventing him from righting himself, so I gently moved the substrate away from his weird upside down graso, righting him in the process. It may not have been the right thing to do, but he'd had a couple of days since his moult by then and is still quite small, so I reasoned I'd be unlikely to damage him if I were very gentle. He seems in one piece and has moved about a bit since, so all seems OK for now, fingers crossed.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
They can be super funny & bizarre. Today my t albo flattened out like a pancake on the substrate I just watered yesterday- he seems to really enjoy it. The air conditioner dries out the terrarium so I have to add more lately, but he’s happy now- weirdo.
My B hamorii juvie did this too. Stretched out flat over a wet bit of sub shortly after a moult.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I checked him last night - at this point he'd been doing it about a day and a half. I began to be worried that he was stuck somehow, i.e. the sub was stuck to him and preventing him from righting himself, so I gently moved the substrate away from his weird upside down graso, righting him in the process. It may not have been the right thing to do, but he'd had a couple of days since his moult by then and is still quite small, so I reasoned I'd be unlikely to damage him if I were very gentle. He seems in one piece and has moved about a bit since, so all seems OK for now, fingers crossed.
I was going to suggest gently moving him if he was still there. At least that’s what I’d do. After a certain point I intervene if there’s any doubt.