N chromatus lifespan

Marcus58

Arachnopeon
In 12/16 I was told my T was about three years old. It is approx three inches now. If it is a male, realistically how long might it live in captivity? Some people have told me their male lived to seven. However, that was a different species. By the way I love this species, very active.

Marcus58

Arachnopeon
I realize that there is plenty of information out there regarding lifespans of Ts. However, I was hoping to get some personal experience rather than numbers copied from someone else's care sheet. Thank you for any responses.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When it comes to Theraphosidae, age is less important than say, size. Two sacmates can develop completely different from each other. If one is kept colder and fed less, it will grow slower than its sacmate.
If I feed mine three times a week and keep it on 75°F, and you keep yours on once every two weeks and 65°F, then yours will be smaller.
That being said, I think it is safe to say N.chromatus females live at least eight to ten years.

cold blood

Staff member
Every male chromatus I've kept (and its more than just a couple) has matured in 1.5 to not more than 3 years. I've got an MM right now that matured right at 2 years. I have another from the same sac that I'm sure is penultimate, so he'll be 2.5 years TOPS when he matures.

At 3" you probably have 2 or possibly 3 molts till maturity...even at that size, mine still molt every 60-90 days.....so I would expect it sometime this summer.....although that's kept in my house, your husbandry probably differs at least slightly......cooler and less frequent feedings (and not huge feedings) and you might get more time. But summer is a great time to have a male mature, as its good shipping weather.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Every male chromatus I've kept (and its more than just a couple) has matured in 1.5 to not more than 3 years. I've got an MM right now that matured right at 2 years. I have another from the same sac that I'm sure is penultimate, so he'll be 2.5 years TOPS when he matures.

At 3" you probably have 2 or possibly 3 molts till maturity...even at that size, mine still molt every 60-90 days.....so I would expect it sometime this summer.....although that's kept in my house, your husbandry probably differs at least slightly......cooler and less frequent feedings (and not huge feedings) and you might get more time. But summer is a great time to have a male mature, as its good shipping weather.
Darn it, i completely overlooked OP stating it is a male....sorry @Marcus58 !

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That being said, I think it is safe to say N.chromatus females live at least eight to ten years.
I'd guess that females likely live a bit longer than that, even. Depending on the variables of how its kept, of course.
My female was raised from a tiny sling in 2012. She's in the 6 inch range now, give or take.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'd guess that females likely live a bit longer than that, even. Depending on the variables of how its kept, of course.
My female was raised from a tiny sling in 2012. She's in the 6 inch range now, give or take.
Yeah....but OP asked about males...which I figured out later :D