N. chromatus and L. parahybana

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I would like to get another T, maybe 2. I'm considering a N. Chromatus and a L. Parahybana. I want a T that will be very large and IS ABLE TO BE HANDLED. The problem I have run into is I keep seeing conflicting information about both of them. I've seen videos of both being handled, but I also see on various sites the chromatus is listed as aggressive and not able to be handled. I would love some opinions from actual owners as to the true temperament of these guys.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've handled my big female N. chromatus before, but she is not what I would call handable. She has stuck at feeding tongs, and threat displayed at my hand.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm... I saw a youtube video of some guy poking at his chromatus, and it gave a threat display but didn't strike him. The guy was being a jerk so it really SHOULD have bit the crap out of him.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
It depends on the individual. Some will bite the crap out of everything, and some will just sit there. I am sure it also depends on age. Sometimes mature spiders are grumpier. As with "handle-able" spiders, there are always the outliers. Even if you can't handle your individual, both species are a lot of fun when it comes to feeding time {D! As I said in a different thread, I can handle mine without problems.

--Dan

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've posted this before but this video shows me handling a large male parahybana. In my opinion, parahybana is an easier specie to handle than a chromatus. I wouldn't try handling my chromatus even though I've seen others do it. It's just too skittish. L parahybana is also much larger than chromatus.

[YOUTUBE] <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2Im7jPAEYo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2Im7jPAEYo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

The youtube embed doesn't seem to be working, so here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Im7jPAEYo

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 2 LPs:
1 I can handle and the other is more skittish and I haven't attempted it yet.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Large, handleable T

First of all, N Chromatus is one of the most aggressive NW T's (along with P Cancerides, which is probably even worse). L Parahybana to me REALLY aren't that aggressive, even by NW standards. They are however, HUGE and very skittish. Their pure size, and those 3/4 inch fangs are VERY imposing. They are also very likely to bolt. IMO, the best large T's to handle would be the Chaco's, Curly's and probably also the Brazilian Blacks. these are better choices for handling than the various "Bird-eaters".

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I have an LP but its a pet hole. I am waiting for a N. chromatus, should get it a week from now. Before LP molted my wife and I were able to handle it, but since the molt all it does is hide.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
+1 on the A geniculata, how big is it? post some pics when you can

warriorprincess

Arachnopeon
hello

I would pick the salmon birdeater it is bigger and easyer to handle, I myself have one comin soon to me:)