n. Americanus found in Nashville!

heldipede

Arachnopeon
Despite the continued lockdown of Nashville, I was able to get out to a little walking path in the area for a bug hunt. Right now, I'm seeking Choctella Cummensi, but in my search, I came across a beautiful Narceus Americanus in a rotting log. Look at the colors!

IMG-0500.jpg

Last edited:

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Despite continued lockdown of Nashville, I was able to get out to a little walked path in the area for a bug hunt. Right now, I'm seeking Choctella Cummensi, but in my search, I came across a beautiful Narceus Americanus in a rotting log. Look at the colors!

View attachment 343008
Yeah that one looks sick! you're lucky you live in the us bc we only have the tiny winy little garden millipedes here

heldipede

Arachnopeon
Yeah that one looks sick! you're lucky you live in the us bc we only have the tiny winy little garden millipedes here
THANK YOU! I agree. I think a lot of folks overlook North American millipedes which is such a shame, because we really have some great ones.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Im n
Despite the continued lockdown of Nashville, I was able to get out to a little walking path in the area for a bug hunt. Right now, I'm seeking Choctella Cummensi, but in my search, I came across a beautiful Narceus Americanus in a rotting log. Look at the colors!

View attachment 343008
Im now starting to see Millipedes in a different light, I love these colours!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Of greater interest to me is the habitat in the picture. A detritus dweller's vast buffet meal - some being cooked and some ready to eat.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I love those millipedes, they live and thrive in my basement and they totally love to crawl on me whenever I'm doing sit-ups in the basement because of the high humidity coming from my exercise. It's quite funny to see a bunch sprawling and crawling in my basement since my basement is very humid and hot during spring and summer.

heldipede

Arachnopeon
Of greater interest to me is the habitat in the picture. A detritus dweller's vast buffet meal - some being cooked and some ready to eat.
The wood is unknown to me but it was soft and easy to pull apart with my hands. It was in a forest marsh along the banks of the Cumberland and the whole log was teaming with little friends.

I love those millipedes, they live and thrive in my basement and they totally love to crawl on me whenever I'm doing sit-ups in the basement because of the high humidity coming from my exercise. It's quite funny to see a bunch sprawling and crawling in my basement since my basement is very humid and hot during spring and summer.
Wow! Your basement sounds like millipede heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
What a beaut!!! I love the genetic variety of colors within N. americanus populations! Good find 😎