N.alata oddity

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I know N.alata is polymorphic and their taxonomy is messy, but do you guys think the spiked pitchers are the same species?

My N.alata usually makes the big red smooth pitchers, but one of the little sprouts that came up beside it, is spiked, thoughts?
PXL_20210709_060302113.jpg PXL_20210712_213612358.jpg

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Young plants and new rosettes produce pitchers with those spiny ridges; over time they take on the appearance of adult plants.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Young plants and new rosettes produce pitchers with those spiny ridges; over time they take on the appearance of adult plants.
this is the third sprout off of the main plant and the other one made smooth pitchers aswell, was that the freak occurrence here instead? However between the 2nd and 3rd sprout the plant did go through a pretty bad shock(which almost killed it) luckily i was able to nurse it back to health.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
this is the third sprout off of the main plant and the other one made smooth pitchers aswell, was that the freak occurrence here instead? However between the 2nd and 3rd sprout the plant did go through a pretty bad shock(which almost killed it) luckily i was able to nurse it back to health.
I would have expected that the other sprout was bigger than this one--is that the case?

Basically the pitcher shape depends on the size of the rosette.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I would have expected that the other sprout was bigger than this one--is that the case?

Basically the pitcher shape depends on the size of the rosette.
the other sprout was about the same size, i can put up pictures of the baby pitchers off of that one if you'd like aswell.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
the other sprout was about the same size, i can put up pictures of the baby pitchers off of that one if you'd like aswell.
Sure, go for it. Generally with my pitchers new rosettes have juvenile pitchers that look very similar to what you posted.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
You can see some of the spikes you were talking about on that one, but it also shares the form of the current pitchers, unlike the new one. Maybe this could be a juvenile pitcher or something, I really don't know too much about their life cycle.

This one also lacks the lid spikes and has ribs.
PXL_20210221_190237331 (2).jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
To me, that one more closely resembles the juvenile pitcher you first posted. That kind of shape variation is totally normal on one plant. When I'm home in a few days I can get some pictures of my N. tenuis which I think should illustrate that.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Edan bandoot From what I learned at the arboretum is individual plant species within a genus are determined by the level of qualification of the biologist making the determination. You have all sorts of rules and references you can go by but at the end of the day the highest qualified and experienced scientist has the final say. This sounds arbitrary but if you manage to catch one of the top echolon brainiacs that knows a certain type of plants and lay the question on him/her, better record the answer which may go on for hours as minute details are expounded upon a great lengths often loaded in Latin and technical gibberisheeze.

I learned a few little tidbits from asking preeminent superseding authority Dr. Enari. Be prepared for the long haul with the answer, maybe taking along snacks and drinks. And between loose fitting dentures and a ultra thick eastern European accent what is usually derived from those sessions was a massive migraine headache. I made the mistake of asking him what defines a member of the spurge family. A solid four hour answer was forthcoming.

Last edited:

Scp682

Arachnoknight
PXL_20210714_050536915.jpg PXL_20210714_050937255.jpg Snapchat-1852501615.jpg
First excuse the quality i went outside just now to get these, also Ignore my ugly burnt pitchers i live in a very buggy area.

This is my big ventrata (alata × ventricosa)
All the are the same plant, the first is several "typical" pitchers, but as said these are polymorphic so some are more "jug" like (second photo). The third is a pitcher from a basal shoot, again they produce different pitchers depending on multiple things. Small plants produce those spikey pitchers.