Myths in the Hobby

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
OW is the be all end all be to considered a ‘real’ keeper

OW is a status to be achieved

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This brings me back to my question. If you don't know the T is in pre-molt, and you drop a feeder in and it disappears into the moss or the webbing, then what? My C. Versicolor has this elaborate web maze around her "tree" that they will get in and I can't get to them without trashing her enclosure at that point. How much do I need to worry about that I guess is my concern here.
Aviculariinae tend to seal all the entrances to their web tubes when in pre-moult so I usually check for this before attempting to feed.

In any case, having to wreck a bit of webbing to hook a feeder out is a non-issue, they can make more. They can't regenerate from getting nommed to death though.

Dubias can harm T's?
Yes, they can.

Any feeder that cannibalises can harm your tarantula, dubia fall into that category.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
‘I don’t see my T use its water dish, so it’s doesn’t need it’

So you strapped a GoPro to your enclosure to film 24 hour surveillance for 12 months then looked through all the footage?

No? Then how do you know it doesn’t use it?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Phlogius goliath is THE goliath birdeater.

Phlogius goliath is the largest T species in Australia.

Every Phlogius species is just a crassipes variant.

Adult Selenotypus are worth more than $175.

Phlogius PQ113/blue leg will 100% always have blue legs.

There are no colourful T's in Australian territory.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Aviculariinae tend to seal all the entrances to their web tubes when in pre-moult so I usually check for this before attempting to feed.

In any case, having to wreck a bit of webbing to hook a feeder out is a non-issue, they can make more. They can't regenerate from getting nommed to death though.

Ah. Not this crazy little spood. She just has a hammock she hangs out on. Then she flipped and molted. Right out in the open air.

Tarantula's going to tarantula. :rolleyes:

matypants

Arachnopeon
‘I don’t see my T use its water dish, so it’s doesn’t need it’

So you strapped a GoPro to your enclosure to film 24 hour surveillance for 12 months then looked through all the footage?

No? Then how do you know it doesn’t use it?
In the past I’ve weighed in on the pro side of the water dish conflagration, but I only have 4 T’s which is so easy I have no room to talk. But I’ve witnessed my porteri use hers. *shrug*

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Anyone with a lot of T's is a hoarder - could it be they just have the spare time?

And finally....the adult size of anything Lasiodora.....its never as big as people think.
And finally....the adult size of anything Tarantula.....its never as big as people think. - fixed it.

Adult size of L. Parahybana for sure
Adult size of any large tarantula for sure - fixed it.

In my experience the adult size of Lasiodora, particularly parahybana, are no more or less exaggerated than any of the other large species.

This brings me back to my question. If you don't know the T is in pre-molt, and you drop a feeder in and it disappears into the moss or the webbing, then what? My C. Versicolor has this elaborate web maze around her "tree" that they will get in and I can't get to them without trashing her enclosure at that point. How much do I need to worry about that I guess is my concern here.
I've had B. lats in with many molting T's and never have had a problem. They are timid and run away when anything larger than them moves slightly. But to be on the safe side you can put a little roach food in the enclosure now and then, this also keeps the roach from being malnourished when your T gets around to eating it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Phlogius goliath is THE goliath birdeater.

Phlogius goliath is the largest T species in Australia.

Every Phlogius species is just a crassipes variant.

Adult Selenotypus are worth more than $175.

Phlogius PQ113/blue leg will 100% always have blue legs.

There are no colourful T's in Australian territory.
Does orange count as a color? ;)

And 2 unkowns, the orange one probably Selenotypus.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
I've had B. lats in with many molting T's and never have had a problem. They are timid and run away when anything larger than them moves slightly. But to be on the safe side you can put a little roach food in the enclosure now and then, this also keeps the roach from being malnourished when your T gets around to eating it.
Outstanding idea. Thanks SoA!