Myths in the Hobby

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
What are some widely believed myths that are still prevalent in the hobby, even among experienced keepers?There are some more obvious ones like Avicularia husbandry practices, but what about more specific/ nuanced things? I've seen a lot of misinformation out there about things like sexing P. regalis by folio pattern, sling growth rates, power feeding, etc. What have you encountered?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
There's a lot of myths and speculations out there such as mice=calcium overdose and a lot more.

basin79

ArachnoGod
"My tarantula likes it when I stroke her".

"My tarantula knows me".

"My tarantula comes to me when she wants to be handled".

Add loads to that.

cold blood

Staff member
The belief that ts, or even certain species, require very specific temps and humidity....I could just leave the word humidity to stand on its own.

The belief that certain substrates are best or are required for certain ts.

Abdomen size is an indicator of sex....ummm, no its not.

And finally....the adult size of anything Lasiodora.....its never as big as people think.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
There's a lot of myths and speculations out there such as mice=calcium overdose and a lot more.
I've definitely seen this one floating around...in pretty much every forum I've been on. I personally don't think there's anything with giving a very large tarantula species a small mouse/ feeder gecko every once in a while for some variety. Of course there will be people who disagree, though.

"My tarantula likes it when I stroke her".

"My tarantula knows me".

"My tarantula comes to me when she wants to be handled".

Add loads to that.
That's for sure. You could easily write a book on that one.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
The belief that ts, or even certain species, require very specific temps and humidity....I could just leave the word humidity to stand on its own.

The belief that certain substrates are best or are required for certain ts.

Abdomen size is an indicator of sex....ummm, no its not.

And finally....the adult size of anything Lasiodora.....its never as big as people think.
I hear the abdomen size one all the time, especially from pet store employees. If only it were that simple in reality.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I'll point out some of the ezpz ones:

Sponge in the water dish

Misting = necessary

A Avic moisture levels

Craig73 never being wrong

Those are the only ones i can think of that haven't already been mentioned at the moment...

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
There's nothing wrong with having them it's just they're not needed. Feeding an adult tarantula every 3rd Wednesday for instance.
Gotcha! I'm just ocd on organization and I know I'd forget stuff so I have a really detailed binder with info on all my T's including a calendar month so i can track their feeding habits.

I get where this is going though. Not necessary, but you can if you want. Roger.