Mystery T's

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
Anybody take advantage of Fear Not's Mystery T sales??

I took a hiatus from t keeping for a little over a year and I came back just in time for the mystery sale :rofl:
I also noticed that the H. devamatha is a lot cheaper now than when I was keeping so I picked up one of those too ~
Anybody get any from them or anything else cool recently?

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I've never done it, but I've always been curious as to what people got! I really would like to know, so I'll watch this thread closely lol.

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
I've never done it, but I've always been curious as to what people got! I really would like to know, so I'll watch this thread closely lol.
I got their very first round of Mystery T's and I loved it. I remember specifically one of them was a P. rufus which I LOVED. Another round I ended up with a P subfusca LL so it was really good catches especially for the price they sell them for. This round they have way more to choose from. When they first started it was only 4 options lol

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I ordered Tanya's and Pedro's. I'm hoping Tanya's is Aphonopelma Moorae and I think Pedro's is Cyriocosmus Leetzi. I with they had more OW besides the one Australian, probably selenocosmia or maybe phlogius. I think I figured out what they are tho, not sure about Andrew's but guessing Aphonopelma sp Bosque Primavera, BJ's is Nhandu Tripepii, Emma's is B Hamorii, Justins is B Albiceps, Michelle's B Auratum, Raphaels is P sazimai, and Tims is neischnocolus sp panama.

Again this is all my speculation, I do not work for Fear Not, these are my guesses based on the clues. I wanna know what everyone else thinks lol.

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
I ordered Tanya's and Pedro's. I'm hoping Tanya's is Aphonopelma Moorae and I think Pedro's is Cyriocosmus Leetzi. I with they had more OW besides the one Australian, probably selenocosmia or maybe phlogius. I think I figured out what they are tho, not sure about Andrew's but guessing Aphonopelma sp Bosque Primavera, BJ's is Nhandu Tripepii, Emma's is B Hamorii, Justins is B Albiceps, Michelle's B Auratum, Raphaels is P sazimai, and Tims is neischnocolus sp panama.

Again this is all my speculation, I do not work for Fear Not, these are my guesses based on the clues. I wanna know what everyone else thinks lol.
I also got Tanya's and then Andrew's and Emma's. Emma won me over with "fluffer" :rofl: I also noticed they were all NW and mostly terrestrial. I'm guessing because they just got that huge shipment in from Mexico and they were doing the deal on the Brachypelma's so I figured there'd be a Brachy in the mysteries somewhere. I'm terrible at guessing but I love to see other people's guesses. ~

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Yeah I was eyeing that 7 Brachypelma deal they have. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Patterson just got a bunch of imports from Mexico, and then I'm guessing he supplied Fear Not from that. A bunch of Brachypelma's and Aphonopelmas, some rare or never seen before and really good prices with pure bloodlines. I think it has to do with the awesome breeding projects Mexico they've been doing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I really do not agree with the whole mystery tarantula deal. You need to know the husbandry before you buy and it only sets up people for failures in the hobby and not knowing how to care for the animal properly, let alone getting something that may be out of someone’s skill level. I think down right it’s a bad practice, and it seems targeted at the new comer, which really makes it more messed up. Tarantulas are living creatures and it should not be set up as a little game or gamble with a life. I think it’s a really bad practice, and borders on unethical when you really think about it in the context of a living creature. I do not know of other hobby’s that pull this kinda stuff.

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
I really do not agree with the whole mystery tarantula deal. You need to know the husbandry before you buy and it only sets up people for failures in the hobby and not knowing how to care for the animal properly, let alone getting something that may be out of someone’s skill level. I think down right it’s a bad practice, and it seems targeted at the new comer, which really makes it more messed up. Tarantulas are living creatures and it should not be set up as a little game or gamble with a life. I think it’s a really bad practice, and borders on unethical when you really think about it in the context of a living creature. I do not know of other hobby’s that pull this kinda stuff.
I can understand you feeling that way but Fear Not puts a disclaimer multiple times in the Mystery pages that keepers should be experienced if they are going to take part in the Mystery sale. They also say upfront if it's OW or NW. They come complete with an enclosure needed for that particular species. All t's eat the same food. It's an opportunity for new and experienced keepers to have a bit of a surprise as well as learn more about a tarantula they may not have otherwise been interested in on their own or to get a deal on a t that may otherwise cost more than $50. Also, it's not like you're waiting months for the tarantula to grow up to see what kind it is, the sale is only 4 days long this time around and then they let you know. My t's will be delivered on Tuesday after the sale has already ended.

Some snake breeders do have mystery grab bags for ball pythons. People buy other people pets as gifts all the time - it's a surprise either way. As long as the animal is taken care of in the long run does it really matter if it was a surprise or not?

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love the mystery spiders from FNT. Almost guaranteed to get a great deal, and they come with enclosures. I probably wouldn't buy them if they didn't mention whether they are OW or NW and terrestrial or arboreal. Sure wish I hadn't missed the last one, with all the Xenesthis sp.

I may have gone a little overboard... which really isn't anything unusual for me. I bought Tanya's Mexican Jewel, Pedro's Roar from Space, and Justin's Mexican King, and also added a Psalmopoeus irminia, a Lasiodores striatus, and a Pamphobeteus sp. Cascada. Absolutely looking forward to seeing what they are. I have my guesses, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else who would like to participate.

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
Yeah I was eyeing that 7 Brachypelma deal they have. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Patterson just got a bunch of imports from Mexico, and then I'm guessing he supplied Fear Not from that. A bunch of Brachypelma's and Aphonopelmas, some rare or never seen before and really good prices with pure bloodlines. I think it has to do with the awesome breeding projects Mexico they've been doing.
I know that's a great deal!! 7 tarantulas for $200 is great deal in most cases. I'd be interested in seeing them selling M balfouri communal packages again. They used to always be sold out.

I love the mystery spiders from FNT. Almost guaranteed to get a great deal, and they come with enclosures. I probably wouldn't buy them if they didn't mention whether they are OW or NW and terrestrial or arboreal. Sure wish I hadn't missed the last one, with all the Xenesthis sp.

I may have gone a little overboard... which really isn't anything unusual for me. I bought Tanya's Mexican Jewel, Pedro's Roar from Space, and Justin's Mexican King, and also added a Psalmopoeus irminia, a Lasiodores striatus, and a Pamphobeteus sp. Cascada. Absolutely looking forward to seeing what they are. I have my guesses, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else who would like to participate.
Oh man!! They had a sale with xenesthis?? That's amazing!! I'm sad I missed out on that too, any discount on those would be miraculous lol.

I ended up picking up L striatus, H devamatha, 2 P rufus', and G rosea with my 3 mysteries. I love irminias.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The irminia was my wife's pick. We have a pulcher who's around 3 inches, and he is the only T I have that makes me a little nervous. He seems to have more attitude than any of my others. Told her that was the last Psalmo I wanted before she added the irminia to the cart, though I didn't object when she added him. Don't tell her, but I actually think they're gorgeous.

To be fair though, I don't have any Old Worlds yet. We agreed to wait on those until our youngest son is at least in kindergarten. Super jealous of that devamatha. Maybe in a couple more years...

narwhalica

Arachnopeon
The irminia was my wife's pick. We have a pulcher who's around 3 inches, and he is the only T I have that makes me a little nervous. He seems to have more attitude than any of my others. Told her that was the last Psalmo I wanted before she added the irminia to the cart, though I didn't object when she added him. Don't tell her, but I actually think they're gorgeous.

To be fair though, I don't have any Old Worlds yet. We agreed to wait on those until our youngest son is at least in kindergarten. Super jealous of that devamatha. Maybe in a couple more years...
I totally get that. I just had my baby last year, she just turned one last weekend, and that's why I ended up taking a hiatus. I sold my collection when I got pregnant so we could afford to buy the big baby purchases. Now that she's getting a little older and independent I felt ready to get back into the hobby again. I plan on keeping my t's in my office for now so we don't have any accidents with the baby. I wish my husband liked t's too, he honestly hates all "creepy crawly" animals. I was surprised how cheap they are now! They used to be sooo pricey so I couldn't help myself :rofl:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If you order from PFT their mystery boxes you select your level of experience and if you want arboreal or terrestrial or fossorial, you can select your level a lot of things. I have purchased it and you get way more than what you pay for if buying them individually.

Husbandry wise, if your not a complete noob, you have about 5 bases to keeping a certain species of tarantula which can be easily found with a little research: arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial, moist sub or dry sub.

Now I wouldn’t recommend a first time tarantula owner to go get a mystery box, but if you have been keeping a few species it is actually pretty exciting opening up a box not knowing what you are going to get.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you order from PFT their mystery boxes you select your level of experience and if you want arboreal or terrestrial or fossorial, you can select your level a lot of things. I have purchased it and you get way more than what you pay for if buying them individually.

Husbandry wise, if your not a complete noob, you have about 5 bases to keeping a certain species of tarantula which can be easily found with a little research: arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial, moist sub or dry sub.

Now I wouldn’t recommend a first time tarantula owner to go get a mystery box, but if you have been keeping a few species it is actually pretty exciting opening up a box not knowing what you are going to get.
Yeah I 100% get that, it just seems like a thing that is inherintly targeted at newcomers or people in the hobby (the larger mass public, people not here on AB). For us on here yeah it can be a good way to get a good deal, that otherwise you wouldn't, and we understand husbandry, but we clearly know that what people outside of AB think of husbandry is far different.
Maybe I am totally off base and I can just go shut up, but it doesn't seem like its basis it garnered to the serious hobbyists, those being us here on AB.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I think you’ve got a point but they do put disclaimers up. Also some people will just buy a T at a pet shop and believe whatever they say. A guy I know had a hamorii sling on 1/4” of sub with a sponge in the water dish recently cuz that’s how it was sold to him. I think this is better than that but I’m sure it does allure people to buy stuff they aren’t ready for sometimes. However, most the ones being sold for FNT mystery are terrestrial NW on there. I feel like reptile shows and other places can cause people to jump ahead of what they’re ready for too. Not that it makes any of it ok, but I’m somewhat experienced with a large collection and I feel ready for whatever I’m getting.
Yeah I 100% get that, it just seems like a thing that is inherintly targeted at newcomers or people in the hobby (the larger mass public, people not here on AB). For us on here yeah it can be a good way to get a good deal, that otherwise you wouldn't, and we understand husbandry, but we clearly know that what people outside of AB think of husbandry is far different.
Maybe I am totally off base and I can just go shut up, but it doesn't seem like its basis it garnered to the serious hobbyists, those being us here on AB.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'm on a break but I would love to get a few mystery T's in my next purchase.
I also love freebies so maybe it's just that I like surprises.
My C. marshalli was a freebie and I never wanted a horned spider. I thought they looked dumb. Turned out to be one of my favorite species. As long as you have experience, I think it could be like a second Christmas... a sad one where you buy your own presents.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My C. marshalli was a freebie and I never wanted a horned spider. I thought they looked dumb. Turned out to be one of my favorite species. As long as you have experience, I think it could be like a second Christmas... a sad one where you buy your own presents.
Thats funny I got a C. Darlingi as a freebie a few weeks ago and I would have never bought one. Now, it has some amazing tunnel system close to the side of the tank so I can watch it.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
If you're not a child, isn't every Christmas sad?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Fear not tarantula mystery box always comes with a hint or some sort of riddle that gives you a slight idea what this tarantula is going to be.

I went for it just once and I was certainly sure what I am going to get.

Thus I got:

Aphonopelma mooreae