Mystery T's (i honestly have NO idea what a "Buccal Tree T" is!)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mystery T's?

Hello

So, at one of the local stores, i found these 2 T's that I want to buy. The thing is, the dealer doesn't have scientific names for these two right off hand, although she'll said she'll get it pretty soon.

I can't remember what they look like, and thats not important now (i'm going tomorrow, so i'll take some pics and hopefully she'll have the names).

The important thing is, however, do these common names ring a bell for anyone?

3" Buccal Tree Tarantula:
again, i'll get a pic tomorrow, but i'm more wondering if this common name sounds familiar to anyone. It's going for $40.

and then this is one i'm pretty sure of, but still, does anyone know if this is a common name for an N.colloratovillosus :

3" South American Grey and Black
again, this kind of looks like an N. colloratovillosus to me, and the name is close enough to Brazilian Black and Grey or Brazilian Black and White , and its about 3" for $45.. but i'm not sure.. it's def. not anywhere near as "fuzzy" or "setae-y" as the other N's i've seen, but that doesn't really mean anything. Does anyone know if there happens to be another common name for a T from South America with the name "black and grey" in it, or is it just the N.collor.....? I mean, I HIGHLY DOUBT that someone would be carrying a G.alticeps in a store for that cheap of a price..... L.striatipes??

thanks again for the help!
I'll bring back pics tomorrow, but i'm more interested if these names even sound familiar to anyone.

Hopefully she'll get the scientific names for these guys tomorrow.

thanks
dave

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Psalmopoeus reduncas goes by Buccal Treespider sometimes.

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice!
I usually see that as "costa rican orange"...

i'll have to check into that out right now!
peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Nice!
I usually see that as "costa rican orange"...

i'll have to check into that out right now!
peace
dave
I may be wrong but I *think* I remeber someone selling them as that.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
These are all 'bastardized' versions of the original common make as credited to Andrew Smith in his original Tarantula ID books.

It's supposed to be 'Orange Bucal Treespider'. The bucal setae (hair around the oral cavity) are said to be orange in this species, thus the name. I haven't noticed adult P. reduncas to have particularly striking orange setae there, myself.

bill

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I agree with Jermey the "Orange Bucal Tree Spider" is the common name for Pslamopoeus reduncas. $40 for a 3" is a good deal, i would get it!

James