Mystery scorpion

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am getting 2 "Blacktailed Scorpions" in sometime this week that are comming in with a supertiger retic, but was givin no scientific name as to what it could be! So im trying to figure out just what I'm going to get... Any ideas? My best guess would be some type of Androctonus (australis?), but I am open to any other possibilities. They were bonus so I said "hey what the hell..." heh.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That has to be the least descriptive name ever.
However, I think there may be small chance that if the "black tail" is distinctive enough to use as a common name, it could be L. quinquestriatus, as they have a very dark metasomal segment, but then again who knows?

Just treat it like a deadly scorpion until you know what it is for sure.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a quick Google shows several sites that use black tailed scorpion as the common name for any member of the Parabuthus family.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In Tanzania..... Blacktailed its commonly used for P. liosoma so.... i'm almost 100% sure you'll get liosomas.
-.Raul

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Until you post a picture it will just be a guess just like all of the replies have been so far

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another vote for Parabuthus liosoma, a bunch of dealers have these in right now, even ones who dont specifically deal with inverts.

I doubt someone would send you an Androctunus without atleast warning you, but then again, they themselves may be ignorant to the exact species ID. :wall:

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yet another for P. liosoma (that's the common name mine was sold under).

Although, I saw pictures someone posted somewhere that looked just like P. liosoma, but they said it was some other scorp -- I think another Parabuthus spp. -- but I don't quite remember.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would like to know how you all "know" what it is without looking at it. I have seen several spp sold under the "Blacktail" name. Sure it could be P liosoma but still these are all guesses and will continue to be until the OP shows us some pics

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
who here says they KNOW. People are guessing by experiance. If someone wanted to know what a stipped bark scorpion is most people would tell you C. vit. But those aren't the onle stipped bark scorpions around it's just a well educated guess by whats in the hobby right now.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
who here says they KNOW.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll,

Post #5, 6, 8 and 9 LOLOLOL:D

I'm messing with you all again:p

Seriously tho, until we see pics we can only guess.

I wish I would have made up something to see if any of you all would try to argue with me a little.:D

I can be so ornery at times hehe{D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'll note, Brian, that never in my post did I say "know." I did, however, post a picture of the species most people were guessing this famed mystery scorp to be to illustrate how the common name seems logical based on the physical characteristics of said species.

I also made reference to another species of scorpion with similar appearance -- primarily, the black tail.

;P

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You'll note, Brian, that never in my post did I say "know." I did, however, post a picture of the species most people were guessing this famed mystery scorp to be to illustrate how the common name seems logical based on the physical characteristics of said species.

I also made reference to another species of scorpion with similar appearance -- primarily, the black tail.

;P
You edited your post, didnt you? LMAO{D

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just tought this was a little freaky since post nine the next poster has a scorpion as an avatar.
<----:D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just tought this was a little freaky since post nine the next poster has a scorpion as an avatar.
<----:D
And a freaky scorpion at that!

I warn you all, I'm on a roll tonight!!!

So watch out!!!!!;P